This really deserves its own dedicate thread

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Oh, I think I could summon the words, but my keyboard might explode if I attempted to type them - plus I might unintentionally summon a few greater demons from the deeper pits of several hells...

Not at all surprised by this reaction, though. Victim blaming was already an established Thing before the GOP became the TeaOP, and this... entity has taken even their low bar and dug a twenty-foot trench to drop it lower.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Victim blaming is an ingrained part of our culture and society. It is the domain of those who are truly to blame and through their own failings cannot accept responsibility for the results of their actions or lack of them. It is a safety net for those who want to believe that something can never happen to them because they don't act that way, or don't live in that kind of a neighborhood, etc.

As for the so-called leader of the United States. I would expect nothing less from him. He has a lifetime of foisting his failings onto others. He has never taken responsibility for negative results of his actions. He and the Republicans overturned President Obama's ban on the mentally ill owning firearms. For any of them to stand up and say "I was wrong. I have received a great deal of money from the NRA and that was the basis for my actions." would take a moral conviction and admissions of wrongdoing none of them are capable of.

At the end of the day, it's who they are; morally bankrupt cowards, who will take the easy way out and blame the victims.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Donald Trump blames students in the Florida high school shooting for not having "done more" to stop it.
That train is going down the hill with three more years to spare.

-cb

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the news yesterday, I was livid. I watched Wolf Blitzer challenge Rick Scott on the Florida gun laws, and Rick Scott couldn't even give an answer. He just sputtered and stuttered over the phone before finally spouting some bullshit about more school security.

I am so sick of hearing the same f-ing things after one of these shootings. It's so clear that less guns means less deaths, and yet here we are. Debating what shouldn't even be up for debate once again. I didn't even know until yesterday that Trump rolled back Obama's regulation to give the national criminal background check system used for gun sales access to social security admin. data, including the names of those receiving mental health benefits. Of course he did. B/c 1) NRA and 2) Trump's racist desire to erase Obama's entire legacy.

Besides all that, Trump's comment doesn't even make sense. According to what I've read and heard, people did speak up! The police had been to Cruz's house on more than one occasion. The school didn't want him entering the building with a backpack because they were afraid of what he may be carrying inside it. He's been expelled for either beating up his ex's boyfriend or carrying a knife (I've seen both). People DID do something. I even read that one guy reported the Youtube comment to the FBI, but the FBI wasn't able to determine the true owner of the comment. (link here)

People actually did do what they could...aside from getting him mental help. That is a missing link. But it's not as though people didn't report the asshole as Trump and other Republicans are trying to imply.

The sad thing is that their base will believe them and will ignore the facts.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Should point out that Trump is also blaming the Democrats for abusing DACA recipients. When he ended the program, and ordered ICE to start preparations for deportation.

The man has a baroque system for deflecting blame that he's apparently used all his life. If this is what money does to character, we should ban any politician who makes more than the median income.

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
I already posted this link on the other thread, but seems relevant here, too. Buzzfeed is reporting that someone did alert the FBI 6 weeks before the incident took place. The FBI says this information should have been forwarded to FBI Miami’s field office, but it wasn’t.

The FBI received a tip in January from a person close to Nikolas Cruz expressing concern that he might commit a school shooting, but it was never forwarded to a Miami field office to be investigated, the agency said Friday.

The tipster told the FBI on Jan. 5 that Cruz owned guns, had a desire to kill people, and provided information about his erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts. According to FBI, the tip should have been sent to the FBI's Miami field office to be investigated, but that never happened.

Roughly six weeks later, Cruz went to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the Parkland, Florida, and allegedly killed at least 17 people.

Nothing 45 does surprises me anymore. The tea-publicans, too. Blame schoolchildren for being murdered in their school? Sure, why not. Blaming the victims is SOP for all of these NRA shills. Anything to avoid blaming the beloved gun. It’s been very hard for someone like me to accept, but in this country, guns are more important than life. Your right to life stops when it infringes on your right to own a gun. Welcome to the good ole USA, land of paranoid, home of the terrified.

This survivor’s response to 45 sums it up for me:

I don’t want your condolences you fucking price of shit, my friends and teachers were shot. Multiple of my fellow classmates are dead. Do something instead of sending prayers. Prayers won’t fix this. But Gun control will prevent it from happening again. https://t.co/UZPgcPoPUX

— sarah (@chaddiedabaddie) February 14, 2018

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
He's taking this opportunity to encourage kids to turn over other kids to the cops.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Donald Trump blames students in the Florida high school shooting for not having "done more" to stop it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-florida-students-done-150722680.html

I can't summon words bad enough to express what I think of this atrocity we have occupying the White House.

caw

As always, he is completely uninformed about the issue he's mouthing off about.

It is odd, though, that for all the internet surveillance that was enabled via Homeland Security after 911, that the FBI and other agencies are still unable to verify the identity and location of people making overt threats over the internet. Surely the infrastructure exists to do this.

Last edited: