Ahoy there

Reaction score
I joined AW because I have written several short fiction pieces in the past and have been successful in seeing them in print, but I have never managed to finish a novel. I need some motivation. I am super busy--a medical student who also happens to be active duty military with a family--and cannot write every day. But I still would love to at least finish one. Seeing one published would be a great bonus, but I will be satisfied if I at least finish a novel.

I also love to write non-fiction stuff, particularly related to medicine and science; however, that stuff is mostly for me. Maybe it'll see the light of day one day.

Anyway, I see most everyone here is super friendly, so I'm looking forward to that!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

I'm a type-A personality too. Are you shooting for fiction then; if yes, what genre?

You did find a great community. Lots to experience, learn, and evolve as a writer from.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
At least you have something in print. Way cool.
On a personal note, Thank You for serving. I'm a busy university student with less than three and a half terms till I finally graduate...about seven and a half years since starting college studies. Pales in comparison do what you're doing.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Shiver me timbers, is it Talk Like A Pirate Day already, matey?

God, I'd make a terrible pirate. Welcome to AW! Motivation, hmm? You could have your partner (or a really good friend) stand behind you with a schooling whip and have them flagellate you every time you pause in your writing for more than 2.4 minutes.

Good luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hope you get to write/finish your novel.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

Reaction score

I'm a type-A personality too. Are you shooting for fiction then; if yes, what genre?

You did find a great community. Lots to experience, learn, and evolve as a writer from.

Incidentally, I’m pretty type b. But yes, I’m shooting for fiction. Everything I write has a bit of an SF bent to it. I’m not sure what it’s called, but it’s like close SF. Stuff that can exist but just doesn’t yet.

Reaction score
At least you have something in print. Way cool.
On a personal note, Thank You for serving. I'm a busy university student with less than three and a half terms till I finally graduate...about seven and a half years since starting college studies. Pales in comparison do what you're doing.

Yeah, one of the journals I published in actually puts out a print version of their journal. It was super cool getting it in the mail.

What are you majoring in? I did my degree in math. It took me about 10 years to finish. I took a break when I joined the military and then started again when I decided I wanted to be a military doctor instead of a civilian one.

Reaction score
Shiver me timbers, is it Talk Like A Pirate Day already, matey?

God, I'd make a terrible pirate. Welcome to AW! Motivation, hmm? You could have your partner (or a really good friend) stand behind you with a schooling whip and have them flagellate you every time you pause in your writing for more than 2.4 minutes.

Good luck!

We get practice talking like pirates. We have a whole pirate ceremony when we cross the equator.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, I’m pretty type b. But yes, I’m shooting for fiction. Everything I write has a bit of an SF bent to it. I’m not sure what it’s called, but it’s like close SF. Stuff that can exist but just doesn’t yet.

Science Fiction (technology and science/concept and prototype) vs. Fantasy (magic). You certainly have a lot on your plate. Good luck with the writing.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
What are you majoring in? I did my degree in math. It took me about 10 years to finish. I took a break when I joined the military and then started again when I decided I wanted to be a military doctor instead of a civilian one.

English major and a Creative Writing Minor. I started college studies back in 2011 as a Computer Science major, hoping one day to develop video games. Didn't go well, and I kept trying. Stopped near the beginning of my fifth year. Skip some time and I started at the university I'm attending as a BFA in Creative Writing Fiction. But a new English major came out at the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, one that cut away classes I didn't want to take in the BFA and allowed me to finish sooner. I'll be finishing with a Bachelors of Science in English w/Writing minor at the end of next March. Its been wild!

Thats a long time to finish a math degree. Wow...but you stuck with it. Nice :D

Reaction score
Science Fiction (technology and science/concept and prototype) vs. Fantasy (magic). You certainly have a lot on your plate. Good luck with the writing.

Thanks. The last thing I wrote was a fictional research paper for a journal called Mad Scientist Journal lol. It was fun. I just love crazy sf tech that is actually reasonable.

English major and a Creative Writing Minor. I started college studies back in 2011 as a Computer Science major, hoping one day to develop video games. Didn't go well, and I kept trying. Stopped near the beginning of my fifth year. Skip some time and I started at the university I'm attending as a BFA in Creative Writing Fiction. But a new English major came out at the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, one that cut away classes I didn't want to take in the BFA and allowed me to finish sooner. I'll be finishing with a Bachelors of Science in English w/Writing minor at the end of next March. Its been wild!

Thats a long time to finish a math degree. Wow...but you stuck with it. Nice :D

I actually started out as an English major. I went to school for 3 years doing an English major and various minors. It was getting pretty expensive, and I didn't know what I was going to do with an English degree. So I took a couple years off to play music professionallly. After a few years of that, I wanted to go back to school but couldn’t afford it.

So I joined the Navy. You can’t take advantage of tuition assistance until you’re completely out of training and fully qualified. So a few years after I joined, I was finally able to start again. This was around five years after I stopped. But this time, I majored in math. So I basically started all over except for gen ed courses. I went full time around the clock for two years and finished my degree. Was really rough for a while doing 12 credits per semester while working 80-100 hours per week and raising two kids, but it was worth it.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Military...? Math degree...? Music...? Kids...? You've got a world of experience to get through any novel, no doubt about that! Welcome to AW! And I'm with HD: thank you for serving! Police, army, navy, doctors... nurses... you deserve the best out of life. Teachers too! Christ knows I couldn't survive with 30 kids....

:hi:

Reaction score
Military...? Math degree...? Music...? Kids...? You've got a world of experience to get through any novel, no doubt about that! Welcome to AW! And I'm with HD: thank you for serving! Police, army, navy, doctors... nurses... you deserve the best out of life. Teachers too! Christ knows I couldn't survive with 30 kids....

:hi:

Thanks. It’s more about attention span. I can write and sub a short story in a day. It takes a lot longer to write a novel. By the time I get halfway through, I hate the whole premise lol.