• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to write a thank you note to readers?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I would like to write a thank you note to all those who purchase my book. Does anyone know of a web link that I can use for examples, or templates?

Thank you

Best way? Write another book and thank them in the acknowledgements of that one.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm guessing that you're collecting their email address at purchase?

At the end of your book, do you have an "about the author" page? Post the address to your FB page there - also you could create a webpage with a few stories and a longer bio. I've heard that some authors collect email addresses and send out newsletters regarding future releases and such things.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I wouldn't. They've not done you a favour—they've (hopefully) bought your book because they want to read it.

If you want to express gratitude, why not write a couple of short fiction stories and offer them for free on your website/blog?

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I always think it's nice when the author writes a few sentences thanking readers in the acknowledgements section of the book itself.

Honestly, once I purchase a book, I don't really want any "follow-up." If I want more from an author, I purchase more of their books.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Not even an automated message to send to customers when they purchase the book?

No. Readers find it creepy---it's like actors breaking the fourth wall. And no one wants to read a book with the feeling that the author's watching over their shoulder.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any routine commercial purchase that would lead me to expect a specific written thank you from the producer of that product.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to write a thank you note to all those who purchase my book. Does anyone know of a web link that I can use for examples, or templates?

Please don't do this. No reader will expect it and few will appreciate it.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for leaving the reader be. At the back of the book, leave your information--website, newsletter sign up, etc.

I've heard that some authors collect email addresses and send out newsletters regarding future releases and such things.

Authors don't collect email addresses. If they did, without permission, they would lose readers. Readers sign up for newsletters.

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Another vote for leaving the reader be. At the back of the book, leave your information--website, newsletter sign up, etc.
Authors don't collect email addresses. If they did, without permission, they would lose readers. Readers sign up for newsletters.

That's actually what I meant when I said collect. Not sure how you'd get an email address unless they give it to you, by signing up for a newsletter.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Best way? Write another book and thank them in the acknowledgements of that one.

Yep. But not by name unless they did something specific like beta read or proofed or helped with research.

Not even an automated message to send to customers when they purchase the book?

Nope. That's spam. Have a monthly or quarterly newsletter that you email out, maybe, that they choose to subscribe to in advance (opt in).

But do not otherwise contact them.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Another vote for LEAVE THE READER ALONE. Just, NO.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
An author can thank people at book signings, workshops, other public venues. Only thanks those who buy your books at book signings. Leave it out of the books, social media, other. It's unprofessional.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually what I meant when I said collect. Not sure how you'd get an email address unless they give it to you, by signing up for a newsletter.

Sadly, there are many ways. I asked a question once via email, they responded and stuck me on their no-opt-out newsletter. I had to write them and asked them to take me off. It sucked, cuz it made me feel bad, but I didn't want it.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Sadly, there are many ways. I asked a question once via email, they responded and stuck me on their no-opt-out newsletter. I had to write them and asked them to take me off. It sucked, cuz it made me feel bad, but I didn't want it.

These days I think a FB author page is a less intrusive way for those interested to keep tabs on what an author is doing.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
These days I think a FB author page is a less intrusive way for those interested to keep tabs on what an author is doing.

It is, but of course page subscribers don't see all the posts.

I like Twitter for this purpose. Well, okay, I don't like Twitter; I just hate it less than Facebook. :) I also have a web page and an opt-in newsletter for the interested.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would find it deeply creepy and very unwelcome to get any kind of communication directly from an author that I hadn't explicitly agreed to in advance. Even if I had signed up for a newsletter, that doesn't mean I want to get thank-you letters, Xmas cards, or any other random email from a stranger. Unless I actually know them, my relationship with an author is transactional: they write, I buy what they write. They write more, maybe I'll buy more. I like to keep it simple that way.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, that's actually illegal in most countries. Opt-in, and confiramtion, and an opt out functioning link and postal address are required.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Another emphatic NO. I bought an item from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, and I got a "thank you for purchasing this item" email, and a couple of days later, a "how do you like the item" email and a few days after that, a "we hope you're enjoying the product, please leave a review" email. It was super creepy and it felt like they were invading my personal space. Of course, then I had to go in and change all my settings to disallow 3rd party contact... BLEH. Just no. Set up a newsletter and include the link in your book somewhere.

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
I guess it’s unanimous, no thank you note. I will add one to my webpage and if anyone wants to contact me than they will see my thank you note.

By the way, thank you for your comments.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it’s unanimous, no thank you note. I will add one to my webpage and if anyone wants to contact me than they will see my thank you note.

If anyone wants to contact you, you can include a personal thank-you in your response -- if it's appropriate. Otherwise... why? I'm just failing to understand the point of a generic "thank you note" addressed to some generic reader. It's not a normal thing between author & reader. It's not expected. The reader hasn't done you a favor, or made you a gift, or in any way earned a "thank you note" -- they've been party to a transaction, that's all. "Thanks for giving me your money in exchange for my artistic creation" isn't much thanks, but until you and a reader have entered into more direct communication (at their instigation not yours!) that's all that has happened. A "thank you note" on a contact-me webpage isn't obnoxious or creepy like the push thank-you you originally asked about, but it's still way outside the bounds of standard interaction and suggests you're reading into the commercial transaction a personal relationship that's probably not really there. (Not to mention, it invites readers to imagine a personal relationship exists, and that's a door you really don't want to open.)

If these people are your beta-readers who have agreed to help you by providing feedback & critiques, that's something else and does deserve thanks. But I don't think that's what you're talking about.