I don't know how to resolve my protagonists problem

Boxlord

Registered
Reaction score
Dont want to break the rules so Im closing this thread. My bad.

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
First, let me make sure I'm interpreting all of this correctly:

Martin is marked for death for being born illegally
Martin can avoid death by erasing his memories and hunting other humans - born illegally and/or otherwise cheating death?
Martin works for the machines
Martin wants to overthrow the machines - how can he know he wants to do this if his memories were erased?

Odile_Blud

-_-
Registered
Reaction score
A cave. (I power the internet with my imagination)
It sounds like you have a really cool idea here, but I'm confused about your timeline. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the indigo are descendents of the original neurosync subjects, right. And that was in 2052. So the descendents are the grandchildren of the original users. How did they evolve? And are all the descendents in their twenties given its only been about 60 years since the first original user?

Sorry. I know that's not what you were asking but it just threw me off a bit.

To be honest, I'd have to read it it in order to tell you where I would personally take it, but from what I got from this, sounds to me like the answer to him solving his goal is going to involve his two fathers in some way. Maybe something they know or did, so I'd work with that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Be aware of the Guide to Newbies here. You are treading on violating the stricture against asking for critique outside of the Share Your Work forum, in which you can post work for critique AFTER having 50 legitimate posts on this site. And that's really where you need to seek help with these kinds of things, mostly.

caw

Boxlord

Registered
Reaction score
1. Martin became a psycho-voider becasue he realized he was born illegally. Afraid, he joined Anamnesis to escape being penalized, or executed... hmm How would he join anamnesis without them knowing he was born from two parents? This part I must make clear.
I havent written this part of the backstory yet, as to who Martin discovered he was born from two fathers before he joined anamnesis. Maybe I can write up a scene between him and his father before his father disappeared.

2. Martin avoids death by using the psychosium crystals. In the story, he realizes his DDD is approaching by looking beneath his eyeball where a date is branded. The crystals have healing powers with multiple purpose. Memory restoring, life expanding, and it makes sterile people fertile.
3. Martin does work for the machines. Anamnesis works for the machines. In the roman empire, Caesar preferred to let the governors of the kingdoms they took over execute prisoners instead of the Romans doing it because in the event of insurrection, people would direct their anger at their own leaders instead of Caesar. It also psychs humanity to see a human face execute their own kind, sort of the Indigo showing off how powerful they are.
4. Martin regains his memories over time with the crystals. His father lived to be 97 years old (which is rare) and instilled in him lots of wisdom from before the machines took over. Martin starts to remember how his father resisted the machines. Martins motivation to defeat the machines comes from his upbringing and what his father taught him.

The thing is, who do I make the main characters tackle such a problem

Boxlord

Registered
Reaction score
Be aware of the Guide to Newbies here. You are treading on violating the stricture against asking for critique outside of the Share Your Work forum, in which you can post work for critique AFTER having 50 legitimate posts on this site. And that's really where you need to seek help with these kinds of things, mostly.

caw

OH! I am sorry. What should I do now? I do not see the Newbie guide. Where is it? I should have read the stickies. I apologize.

Last edited:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
To motivate Martin as far as an inciting incident is concerned, is there a way the psychosium could alter something in his perception/awareness/experience that makes him realize his current psycho-voided reality is different from the reality inside his fragmented memories? And then is there a way for him to test it, verify his limited memories, and then go full tilt ahead with actively trying to recover them all?

Silly example about perception, but for sake of demonstration, say water looks purple to psycho-voided people, and after he takes the psychosium and starts to heal, it looks clear. Basic example, but the idea is something to trigger his process of questioning, and ultimately something that proves to him he can TRUST these memories are REAL. Maybe his perception of the machines could also be altered? Do neurosync people perceive differently than non-neurosync people? Is there something he was taught to be "indisputable truth," but is different in reality? Once that knowledge gets unlocked from psychosium, can he put it to a test? Silly example again, but, "Humans can't hold their breath for more than twenty seconds, or they'll explode." -> unlocks memory-> has a means of testing the theory himself (and learning through experience that it was false).

Also - how does he acquire psychosium? Seems like dangerous stuff to acquire, considering who he's working for?

What if he can't recover ALL of his memories?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
OH! I am sorry. What should I do now? I do not see the Newbie guide. Where is it? I should have read the stickies. I apologize.

Not bb, but the link to the Newbie's Guide is at the top of the page (here, if you don't want to scroll up.)

This really is asking for specific plot help - should be in the Sandbox at the very least, if not SYW.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Best thing to do is head over to the New Members subforum and start a thread introducing yourself. You'll get a proper welcome from an AW mod, who will provide you with informative links that will help you navigate this enormous forum.

Glad to have you with us. Hope you enjoy it here.