And an intro from me....

Chelle_J

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I was a member of a group like this YEARS ago when I was writing fanfiction ;) I recently decided to dust off an old novel that I started writing *forever* ago. To get back in the groove, the first thing I googled was "forum for writers to ask questions" ... and here I am.

I am incredibly rusty. All I've written in the last 4 years are academic essays, SEO, and copy writing!! So I am both desperate to get creative again, and feeling very foggy. I've set myself a goal to finish my half-written novel in a month, or at least have something solid to show for my efforts even if it's rough. I'm wondering if a writing prompt blog/ flash fiction sort of thing would be a good place to start... but for now am just re-reading my old novel and seeing what needs to be done.

About me= I'm 42 (no idea when that happened), a single parent with two boys. I live in Australia. I've travelled a bit throughout the east-coast of Aust as well as having lived in the Northern Territory (also travelled Europe a bit particularly around Greece/Italy/Great Britain etc). I'm finishing a degree in archaeology before moving on to honours next year. I love martial arts, camping, and am a bit of a computer gamer. My reading preferences are for Sci Fi/Fantasy, crime or mystery, and lesbian romance.

Looking forward to chatting and drawing inspiration from you all :)
Chelle.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello Chelle. and welcome to AW!

Best of luck as you complete your novel!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Chelle.

Mystery writer here--sci-fi and horror reader.

My favorite mystery DVDs from Australia and New Zealand are Miss Fisher, Dr. Blake, and Brokenwood mysteries. Lots of fun. :greenie

:welcome: to you.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. :) I love that you are pursuing a degree in archaeology - superb!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chelle, welcome. I'm new too and from sunny/windy/rainy/every weather in one day Melbourne :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

A modern-day Indiana Jones; awesome. I find I always slow my productivity in the warmer months, where it is in Australia now. Good you are getting back into it. I'm starting my first novel, age 43. Nothing wrong writing at your present age (compared to earlier).

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, Chelle. Nothing wrong with writing fanfic; I still do. You should check out the Blogs forum, plus the SFF and SFF SYW. If you need/wanting directing to some excellent blogs for flashfic writing prompts, just hollar; I do quite a few, and know of more that I just don't have time for.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chelle_J

Registered
Reaction score
thanks, Regdog.
I've already made a start on each of those forum goodies. I had to make myself stop reading and get back to my actual writing! But there's lots of good advice here. And I found so many old threads by other people on the exact things that I am stuck on (naming characters, and the difficulty transitioning from fanfic to a novel where the writer needs to flesh out the characters and introduce everything properly). I was tempted to reply to each of those old threads but decided to chill out for a bit and see if I could find more answers throughout the forum.

I had not noticed the Weekend Progress section, so will check that out next. This place looks to be an absolutely awesome community and resource!!!