Finland 'solves' homelessness

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Some hope, if you're a Finn at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/housing...d-solved-homelessness-eu-crisis-housing-first

Seems as simple as 'if they become homeless, give them homes'. Also found this quote interesting:

The key things are affordable housing and support. Extra funding that the state has allocated for flats and services has been an incentive for the municipalities to implement Housing First.

Tenants pay rent and are entitled to receive housing benefits. Depending on their income, they may contribute to the cost of the services. The rest is covered by the municipalities. They provide the support themselves or buy support from other service providers, mainly from the NGOs.

Stable living conditions enable the use of mainstream services instead of using expensive emergency services. This will save money in a long term.

I have no idea how this would pan out in a large American city with an out of control housing problem like, say, Los Angeles. But there seem to be a lot of condos going up without anyone moving in, I feel like it at some point it becomes a deliberate choice you make to let the situation worsen. Last I heard, they were talking about letting homeless move into abandoned parking structures, or something.

Last edited:

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I don't want to be negative...

The U.S. won't even guarantee basic healthcare to everyone, let alone come up with real solutions for mental health conditions and substance abuse/addiction which underpins most homelessness in my area. There's absolutely no way this will even become a discussion in this country until the above are addressed with real solutions and not pandering for votes.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhat hard to visualize the US as a whole adopting these practices overnight (or even in my lifetime), easier to see a medium-to-large West Coast city beginning to have the discussion, tho.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There's an architect in Hong Kong who's made tiny homes out of concrete pipes, complete with bathrooms, which can be stacked in places like the undersides of overpasses and alleyways between buildings.

I'm not sure I agree that the ones under the highways are safe, given the closeness of high-speed cars, and I have no idea how they intend to get access to the upper levels, but the ones in alleys could solve some safety issues.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hong...-one-car-garage-spans-about-200-square-feet-1