School Shooting in Parrkman, Florida

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently there's 20 reported victims in a school shooting at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School.

They haven't found the shooter yet, but they're systematically clearing out classrooms. Watching it on TV, and everything is under control. There's some concern because there's other schools in the area, so everything's locked down.

Here's hoping injuries aren't horrible and they find out what's going on.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/florida-high-school-shooting/index.html

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
How close to Fort Lauderdale? Have a grand daughter in High School there but I am in school myself, so can't check. --s6

Same county. According to Google maps, they're about 1/2 hour apart, so your granddaughter should be OK.

I have two high-school-age nieces in FL and was just checking maps myself when you posted (they're OK, too).

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Glad your loved ones are safe. I have family that went there (years ago). I remember when it was built. When I heard there was another school shooting, I googled and the list of just recent shootings is staggering. Good thing lots of thoughts and prayers are being bandied about (while nothing is being done to actually stop or reduce mass shootings).

(It's Parkland)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Dozens of law enforcement vehicles are on site, including one tank...

A tank? :Wha:

I mean, I guess it makes sense to bring in whatever's available, but ... a tank? What earthly use could it be in this scenario?

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

I mean, I guess it makes sense to bring in whatever's available, but ... a tank? What earthly use could it be in this scenario?

To show the triumph of Good Guys with Heavy Weapons over the forces of Evi- no, wait, the perp has been reported to be white. Over the forces of a Quiet Man Pushed to the Edge, I suppose.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Yes. Talked with her mom and her dad. Her school is about 20 miles away. She is home now. Was at Lacrosse Practice when they did the lockdown. I am also sick of this crap. The police man shot down in Westerville Ohio was the father of my Ohio grandson's friend. The Ohio family is saying that was a pre-planned ambush by an angry man who should never have had a gun in his hands. --s6

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Believe me, I'm not in favour of the militarization of local law enforcement depts., especially smaller ones. It's ridiculous. However, if they don't know who or what is in there or what the actor(s) have, given the size of the building (you don't know where someone is, or if they're sitting in a blind they've constructed, waiting to shoot at any law enforcement who approaches the building) it makes some sense to bring a tank if you've got one. There could be one or more suspects in there with bombs, and hostages, or waiting to shoot at cops outside. If that's unclear, an armoured vehicle that can safely approach, can puncture windows or walls and deliver payload might be a thing you could use. It certainly might not, but if you're not sure...

I'd hope there was also a negotiator and swat and etc., on scene, not just 'hey, let's get the tank!' but it's not as nuts as it sounds once you know it's one captured kid.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Dang - another one?* How many is that this year? At this rate, we're going to drain the national reserves of thoughts and prayers, 'cause that seems to be the only consequence of these massacres anymore.

* - Why the everlovin' eff are we a society that has reached the point where this statement can ever be said of school shootings... in mid-Februrary? And, yeah, I know why on an intellectual level: NRA, lobbyist money, and downright masturbatory gun-luvin' enshrined in too many laws and cultural norms. I just cannot comprehend why on a pure sanity or rational level...

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
You're right. The more I thought about it, the more I'd bet money it went something like this:

"Hey, boss, should we bring the tank too?"

"Nah."

Wait... what if this isn't just a kid with a gun? What if it's a coordinated terrorist attack or some disgruntled military personnel who got their hands on a rocket launcher or grenades or something? Do I really wanna be know as "that person who left the tank at home the ONE time we needed it?

"You know what? Why not? Bring it along."

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, even if it's students, students (or one student) who has planned well and is smart can wreak a fuckload of havoc. Harris and Kliebold (Columbine) had a lot of decently-constructed, working pipe bombs, an arsenal of weapons, including high-velocity and high-capacity stuff, etc. They detonated some stuff but had bigger plans. Someone emulating them, or wanting to try a full hostage thing for some reason...

Apparently at least 16 dead, up to 14 injured, according to CNN

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently this kid was a well-known danger.

Lots of kids in various media interviews saying there were jokes about if someone shoots up the school, it'd be him, that he was well-known to be obsessed with weaponry, and seemed unhinged enough that kids are saying they tried not to engage with him.

A math teacher is quoted in the above article saying the shooter had threatened kids to the point he wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack. He was apparently removed at some point. Yet.... apparently no security to prevent this? Good planning.

Gard says he believes the school administration had sent out an email warning teachers that the student had made threats against other in the past and that he should not be allowed on the campus with a backpack. Another student interviewed on the scene by Channel 7 said the student had guns at home.

“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” said math teacher Jim Gard, who said the former student suspected in the shootings had been in his class last year. “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.”

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
17 died, according to the police spokesman. Two died in the hospital, three are still critical and the rest are stable.

AR-15 with multiple magazines.

:cry:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Talked with her mom and her dad. Her school is about 20 miles away. She is home now. Was at Lacrosse Practice when they did the lockdown. I am also sick of this crap. The police man shot down in Westerville Ohio was the father of my Ohio grandson's friend. The Ohio family is saying that was a pre-planned ambush by an angry man who should never have had a gun in his hands. --s6

I was leaving the hospital on the Ohio State University after visiting a family member who is seriously ill and near it is in the Franklin Country Coroner's Office. In the light drizzle of a cold, wet Saturday, there were possibly hundreds of police cars, cruisers, wagons and a few fire trucks lined up on both sides of the road with their lights on and flashing. Police had come from local and neighboring areas to show solidarity with their fallen brother officers.

It was moving in a most terrible way. It was also two more names added to the 11 police officers killed in the first six weeks of 2018.

Dang - another one?* How many is that this year? At this rate, we're going to drain the national reserves of thoughts and prayers, 'cause that seems to be the only consequence of these massacres anymore.

* - Why the everlovin' eff are we a society that has reached the point where this statement can ever be said of school shootings... in mid-Februrary? And, yeah, I know why on an intellectual level: NRA, lobbyist money, and downright masturbatory gun-luvin' enshrined in too many laws and cultural norms. I just cannot comprehend why on a pure sanity or rational level...

Well, let me put it this way, Brightdreamer. When America made the choice nothing could be done when a gunman massacres schoolchildren and teachers, that was the end of the debate.

All we're doing here is trotting out our now well-worn lines about the same old shit. Nothing will change because nothing will be done.

Oh, and to answer the question, according to NBC there have 18 school shootings in 2018 and nobody can name them all. This is our new normal.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
America has fallen hostage of itself. It seems determined to choke all life, all freedom, and all pursuit of happiness.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well, we have lots of students talking about how unhinged and scary the guy was, and how his Instagram (which was still up a bit ago) was filled with pics of weapons, shooting targets, animals he'd murdered, etc. We have at least one teacher saying the shooter had made explicit threats against other students, to the point he was banned from walking in with a backpack, and was eventually expelled.

We know the weapon he had.

So, gee, seems like there MIGHT be something that could be done to restrict someone who had made explicit threats of gun violence from, you know, obtaining not just a high-powered weapon but a shitton of ammo.

Maybe when the parents and injured students own the school building, the land, and most of the county, they can put some of their take into lobbying efforts.

The Broward Co. school superintendent was on CNN with Wolf Blitzer, after it was clear who'd done it and the basic history, saying, in response to Blitzer's repeated, explicit questions, that he, the superintendent, had no idea of any threats against anyone, that no one had had any indication this might happen, that there was no warning or anything.

Wolf Blitzer, a litigator's best friend. They are going to own that entire county.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for all the parents of those kids, so sad :(

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Words are just inadequate.

But I ain't about to fall for that "it's too early to discuss gun control" crap that we got right after the Sandy Hook school shooting.

caw

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they got the fucker alive. So often they take the easy way out. Eternity in a hole should give him plenty of opportunity for self-reflection.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they got the fucker alive. So often they take the easy way out. Eternity in a hole should give him plenty of opportunity for self-reflection.

This happened in Florida, which I believe to be the second-most vigorous state (after Texas) at imposing and carrying out the death penalty. This guy is 19, an adult, and I'll bet my house the death penalty will be on the table at his trial. Maybe he can plead down to life in prison, but maybe not. In any case, there is no significant possibility of mistaken identity.

caw

Last edited: