Mythology?

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score
Does mythology count as Historical fiction? I assume it's not if it's set in the present but what about if it's set in the past, like during when the religions were practiced.

For example, if I wrote a story about the Norse gods during the Viking age but the world is set up like the Norse believed it was, with the world tree and everything, is that historical fiction or fantasy?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that's Fantasy, though what subgenre, I'm not sure. The base of the world is the mythological/legendary beliefs, not what history says it was.

Good luck with it. Norse myths are fun to mine for story.

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah had a feeling. So if the story is in the real world, like for example another plot idea I'm thinking of following, a Viking who got a quest from the gods could probably be historical? I suppose that one probably wouldn't either cuz it had dragons in it. lol. Thanks for the help. Genre lines are hard for me to read.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, write the story. As you get more into it and know what it actually is, it's easier to figure out things like genre if you're uncertain.