Finally decided to join up.

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm Evelyn Michelle. I've heard about this site from several places and always just looked away. It's been a long time since I've bothered with any forum besides Nano's so I didn't really feel it was for me. But I'm starting to feel like I need some friends in the writer business, no one I know is interested. Supportive, but not really interested. So here I am. I'm also looking for a critique partner, and I thought this would be a good place to find one.

At the moment I read and write anything based in Norse myth. I adore characters like Loki, Thor, and Odin. The genre is really underserved, which as a writer is exciting and as a reader is frustrating.

So that's me. Thanks for listening.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

What do you focus on, novels, short fiction, other? You found a wonderful community, and support for many facets of creative writing.

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score

What do you focus on, novels, short fiction, other? You found a wonderful community, and support for many facets of creative writing.

At the moment I'm focusing on short stories, just to build up my skill. I have a book that I'm slowly plotting, but it's more of a when I think about it, kinda project.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, very good. Short stories are wonderful to get warmed up for larger styles of fictions, such as novelettes, novellas, and novels.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Greetings, Evelyn Michelle.

Best of luck on the Norse mythology writing. It sounds interesting!

Welcome to AW!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Evelyn Michelle. I'm also in the market for a new critique partner, because both former partners went back into the workforce--one writing grants (instead of YA mysteries) and the other writing hazmat training programs (instead of westerns).

Sorry that I don't write Norse myths, although I dearly love Beowulf and all its spin-off stories.

I hope you find your niche.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Norse mythology is interesting. I bet its complicated too haha. I played a PlayStation 4/PC game last year that had lots of Nordic and Celtic mythology in it. Fairly sure its accurate: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which came out August 8th of last year. If you've never heard of it, it's about a Celtic warrior, Senua, who embarks on a journey into the land that was destroyed by Nords to find the soul of her husband, as well as dealing with hallucinations, mental illness, and psychosis. Its an amazing, simple, and visually intense game. It later won three Game Awards, from The Game Awards, for Best Indie title (classified as a AAA indie - developed by a small team, a small budget, but the visuals and gameplay of a triple A game), Most Socially Impactful, and Best Performance by an actor or actress. Its won other awards in the past couple months too. Absolutely one of the most unique and powerful indie games I've ever played, and I don't play that many indie games.

Last edited:

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I’ve heard of Hellblade, though it’s only a faint recognition. I wouldn’t say Norse myth is complicated so much as obscure. The Norse didn’t really write anything down, so it’s hard to study, but at the same time that’s what I find so interesting about it. Greek myths are so readily available they’re almost boring.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Evelyn Michelle

Evelyn Michelle
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh! Links. Cool, I checked out some of them on my initial, I'm-doing-something-social panic. But I'll happily check out the others too.

JakeSTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, I'm new here too. I've been interested in Norse mythology for a long time, and I've woven some of it into my current work in progress. As stated above this is great community, everyone I've interacted with has been very supportive.