Hi! I'm new!

bookmarky

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning from Austin, Texas!

I'm a 30-something book lover and aspiring writer. I'm currently focusing on short stories and flash fiction in order to improve my craft. Eventually I'd like to write a book. I write magical realism, suspense, and a sort of sci-fi-realism blend (I've been calling it surrealism in my head). I've had two flash fiction stories posted on online magazines, and I'm just trying to figure this out as I go!

The other main thing about me is that I'm very introverted. I'm hoping that joining an online writing community will help me get out there and learn and communicate with other writers.

I also love to jog, see movies, eat good food, and drink semi-good-but-affordable wine. My husband is trying to teach me to cook but mostly I just want to read while he cooks...

Thank you for reading and I hope I can make a good contribution to the forum!

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, bookmarky! I enjoy the short stories and flash-fiction also. Do you blog? If so, I can direct you to many excellent flash-fiction prompts and bloggers. If not... get yourself a blog, so that I may direct you to many excellent flash-fiction prompts and bloggers. ;)

Hope to see you around. We do have a small flash-fiction forum here, as well as a more active Short Stories board!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Sci Fi - Realism blend sounds interesting. Communication online is easy. Here, it is asynchronous (forum and private message relays).

You found a great community!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome there. I'm new too. I've been hiding for a long time, I think it's time I was found. LOL Glad you're here.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, new person from Austin.

I started out writing short stories and even made a graduate dissertation from an anthology of 'em. I never wanted to write novels until I did. Now, I'm working on the second novel.

While awaiting fame and fortune from bestsellers and movie rights, I'm keeping my day job as an independent editor of both short stories and novels for others.

:welcome:, Bookmarky!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.