Allow Me To Introduce Myself

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Allow myself to introduce...myself :)

I'm Konstantine, and I've been writing for 30 years or more, plus I read a book a week in varying genres, but mostly fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction (but can be anything). I'm not published at all and really have had no desire to be. I write purely for the joy/heartache of it all (as I own my own business, writing gives me that much needed escape). However, I printed out one of my stories the other week (because my eyesight is getting a little worse for wear looking at the computer screen all day and I now need to read the printed page to correct/edit stuff) and my 17 year old daughter got hold of it. She read it--actually devoured it--and said she loved it so much that I HAD to do something to get my story out there. Of course, a 'raving' critique from a family member isn't exactly any encouragement, but nice.

So here I am...

Looking for advice, hints and tips and all that to see if what I have actually put on paper is worth something.

Anyway...Hello all :)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If a teen read it and enjoyed it, that’s quite the accomplishment, actually. I teach teens, and reading fiction isn’t an exciting part of their day for many of them.

Welcome to AW!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes I suppose when looked at it like that, it is a good thing :)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
There's some great advice on here for getting work to the next stage, and I'd always, always start with the Bewares, Recommendations, and Back check section on here: it will help guide you toward a good publisher from authors etc who have work published with those publishers, or those who can spot a more dubious publisher on the first page of their website.

Welcome to AW. :)

What genre do you write?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You found the right community! As per your eyes, buy a pair of blue blocker glasses. They can clip on to prescription glasses, or sold as standalone glasses. They block blue, visible light from monitors. This light causes eye fatigue. Since I started using them, I no longer get eye fatigue reading at the screen, no matter how many hours I am at the computer.

If a teen read it and enjoyed it, that’s quite the accomplishment, actually. I teach teens, and reading fiction isn’t an exciting part of their day for many of them.

Welcome to AW!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Korean children have to read A LOT while in school (nonfiction). If this is true, I can see why fiction isn't high on their priority list. I had a professor from South Korea. He made us read between 3500 and 4k pages in one semester. I was the only one who read it all.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Fallen. What a lovely welcome. I write fantasy (think Dungeons and dragons crossed with Enid Blyton's Famous Five adventures) :)

- - - Updated - - -

That is good advice right there, Enlightened :)

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, konstantine!

There's a computer program called f.lux which you can install, it tweaks your monitor colour to make it warmer and more daylight-ish, and especially reduces harsh glare at night. It times itself with the sunset/sunrise to adjust automatically, and I've found it useful in reducing eye strain when spending long hours in front the computer. I'd recommend checking it out for long-term use. (It's free)

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome, Konstantine!
D&D mixed with Famous Five is actually a very good pitch if you are thinking about approaching agents and/or publishers, just saying :) The Famous Five go Dungeon Crawling!

Writing as a hobby just for fun is wonderful, and I find writing very fun and therapeutic as well. If you think you want to explore going further then AW is the place you want to be. Were you thinking of getting an agent and going for trade/traditional publishing or going for the self-publishing route?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, konstantineblacke - :welcome:

I think I may write in similar vein to you, only my targeted readers are not quite teenagers. This place has helped me learn a lot over the years. I'm not published yet either but I do wish you well. Enjoy browsing this huge site.

Kindest
Bufty :snoopy:

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I think your story about your relative reading your work is fantastic.

I second Cameron... what are your plans? Share Your Work is a good place to get brilliant feedback on queries and work. I've seen some amazing success stories come out of this site. I hope yours is one too!

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Cameron. Thank you for that, I never thought of that as a 'pitch' and now that you've said it, it makes sense. I haven't decided which way to go in as far as marketing my book. I think I'd settle in here, post a bit and get to the point where I can beta read others and have mine beta read :) Then go from there.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. I'm still finding my way with this site. It's massive!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here in the cooler! :)