Nearly done editing my manuscript when I get an idea to turn it into a series.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So, I've been writing this one book in various forms for roughly 10 years. It took so long for various reasons we won't get into now because it's not important. But it's finally in it's final round of edits!

I always had it in my mind that it was just a stand-alone novel. One and done.

A few weeks ago I had the idea for a sequel. I had a premise, but no actual story until about 2 days ago. I'm interested and once editing is done I think I'll start this follow-up story.

Then, I got the idea for another story, but it takes place before the book I am currently editing.

I'm not sure it's a story that needs to be told. A lot of it is inferred in the current book, or mentioned, but not in high detail.

I'm more interested in the follow-up story.

How kindly do agents and publishers take to the idea of a trilogy that isn't written in order?

Should I just ignore the "prequel" book and focus on the follow-up? Effectively making this a duology?

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
When you pitch the book that you are finishing up, from what I understand, you should pitch it as a standalone, but you can mention that it has series potential. Then, after you find an agent, you can bounce ideas off them for the sequel and/or prequel.

If you're planning to start writing another one in the series while trying to find an agent, I'd start with the sequel, since that's the one that most interests you.

ETA: Congrats on nearly finishing your novel. 10 years is a long haul, and yet you still stuck with it. Nice job!

Last edited:

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
If the other books are not written yet, I'd recommend pitching it as a stand-alone. If you spark interest with agents, you'll have plenty of opportunities to have a conversation with them about the series potential and they'll advise you on the best approach.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I recently expanded my project/series to fit a 30 year timeline (that used to be 25). I now have 4 eras (instead of 3). Each era has multiple books. If I can get an agent and get my first book sold, I will do one book at a time till it is time to no longer make them (lack of interest, I finish the series, whatever). My first book takes place in era II. I will finish era II then go back to era I. I will finish eras three and four in succession, after era I. Reason, era I is critical to explain some big picture items introduced in era II and to make sense of the last eras.

I note my project, because I think scope is key. If you are doing a trilogy, it may disinterest people to read a "prequel" book before the closure. In my eras, each has every element of the Gustav Freytag dramnatic structure. Maybe, for large projects, it is okay to do a prequel (like the Star Wars prequel trilogy, eps 1 through 3). For 3 books, it may be a detriment to do this. I have no idea, but I wanted to share scope and how scope might be an issue if someone discusses any of this with you.