• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gatekeeper Press

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Sorry if there's already a thread; I looked but didn't find one. I wouldn't have heard of this one except that they turned up in the schedule of a writing conference I'll be attending this coming weekend.

https://gatekeeperpress.com/

Looks more like author services than a traditional press or publishing company, though. I don't see any "gatekeeping" to speak of; you just submit and pay for whatever services you want or need. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong? Still, I wish they had links to books they'd published. There are a few examples on the Testimonials page, but that's about it.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Being at a writing conference doesn't mean professional validation. Some conferences are desperate for guests and speakers and will take anyone. There's one coming up with Lani Sarem as a guest speaker talking about how she got on the NYTimes bestseller list. She denies gaming the system, which is indeed what she did for her mediocre book. Her end game is to get it into production as a movie with herself as the star.

Good luck with that.

A local convention in my area allowed in a small press e-publisher as a pity favor. Her books are either her own dismal efforts with bad covers or reprints of public domain works. She's allowed to help the staff with children's programming, but they won't let her near any publishing panels.

As for this place, they want money for services and I am underwhelmed by the three covers they display. Those might be the choice of the authors, though. It seems to be a publishing services business, not an actual publisher. For what they are charging for those covers, I would avoid 'em.

They're not offering anything a smart indie writer cannot do for herself with a bit of research.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"We make Publishing easy, affordable and professional", this, on their home page, says it all.

Or this one:

No longer is getting published restricted to the elites and well-connected.

Serious emotional manipulation going on here. It makes me want to NOT engage them on the live chat box. My temper's even shorter than a Vine video right now, so no.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Where Authors are Family."

Yep. There it is, right on the masthead. Run away.