Some good news to brighten your day

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It was thoughtful of the lions to leave his head, so that his next-of-kin could be informed. :evil I hope no-one shoots the lions as man-eaters.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It was thoughtful of the lions to leave his head, so that his next-of-kin could be informed. :evil I hope no-one shoots the lions as man-eaters.

It sounds like self defense to me.

And I just had a horrid image of lions batting a human head around as if they were kittens playing with a ball.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Probably you are. Look, this was a situation in which something was going to die. It was either lions, or this poacher. I'm glad it was the poacher.

caw
Sure, better him than the lions. That still doesn't qualify it as good news, in my book, just could have been worse news.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I also started a thread on this -- didn't see this one, sorry. A heartwarming story for sure!

Am I the only one that thinks a man's death is not good news, even if he was a low life scumbag?

Well, probably someone else agrees, but not me. I think it's excellent. Good kitties!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of people who die every day. Some of illness, some of disease, some of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most of them have never deliberately harmed another creature in their lives. The world is worse for their loss.
This one deliberately walked towards lions, thinking his gun would kill them and protect him. It's not like a gang of lions shot him in a drive-by. Some days you're the rat, some days you're the cheese.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks a man's death is not good news, even if he was a low life scumbag?

I think it's good news. If a human wants to enter a wild animal's domain with the arrogance that so often accompanies many humans, that they are invincible and the "superior" species, entitled to destroy and kill at will, then they must accept that they can and will lose should a confrontation occur. Wild animals see humans as just another item in the food chain.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Uyimbube, uyimbube, uyimbube, uyimbube ...

I feel sorry for his mama. But other than that ... look, we're all born with a limited bunch of fucks to give, and for me poachers are somewhere near the bottom of the list, just above the people who drive the trade. Happily, this guy has done his bit for conservation now.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There are lots of people who die every day. Some of illness, some of disease, some of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most of them have never deliberately harmed another creature in their lives. The world is worse for their loss.
This one deliberately walked towards lions, thinking his gun would kill them and protect him. It's not like a gang of lions shot him in a drive-by. Some days you're the rat, some days you're the cheese.

+1

This wasn't self-defense against Tsavo-like habitual man-eaters. It wasn't protecting his livestock or livelihood. It was poaching - the senseless, pointless butchery of animals for the black market, often for "traditional medicines" that have zero legitimate healing value, leaving the rest of the body to rot, in an industry driving already-pressured species to the brink of extinction. And the lions were doing what lions do, effectively and non-maliciously. Zero sympathy for the poacher, here. When lions have made humans a vulnerable species by destroying our habitat and hunting us for trophies or using us in "traditional medicine", I might reconsider...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well. Let's not forget that poaching wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well. Let's not forget that poaching wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market.

I would be fine with the lions eating someone who was paying poachers to kill them for trophies as well. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be fine with the lions eating someone who was paying poachers to kill them for trophies as well. :)
It's a question of punching up or punching down. I'm on #teamkitty - but I'd rather the guys with the money were eaten if it comes down to it. Is all I'm saying.

ETA: Except I'll also say this - battery chicken farms.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
If no one was willing to go out poaching....

Also not all poachers on the ground are poor people fulfilling orders way up the line for those who'll make the profit. Some are their own bosses.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If no one was willing to go out poaching....

Also not all poachers on the ground are poor people fulfilling orders way up the line for those who'll make the profit. Some are their own bosses.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of the poachers are as wealthy as the people buying the product. If they were, they'd be importers. Poaching is dangerous.