Christian Mythology

Timbrian

Registered
Reaction score
After reconsidering my forum, I need to bring update my forum question to render it more acceptable. Ideas would be greatly considered. I am basically looking for a MacGuffin for my hero. The main bad guy in my story has kidnapped a professor of religion. And I'm trying to find out why? The storyline is still set in 1893 Alexandria, Egypt. I was thinking of having him discover a tomb that belonged to a fictitious Egyptian king who lived during the time of King Saul, but I am ...not convinced that would play out right. That was where I thought of using the fall of Lucifer. Finding his tomb. However, as someone of you has suggested he is after all immortal. So that wouldn't make much sense having a tomb. And I'm also looking for a good title for my Egyptian story. I was also thinking of having my fictitious king take tried to overthrow King Saul and that he that it was rumored that he had in his possession Lucifer's spear or "pitchfork". After he had fallen from Heaven. Then I also thought of considering Osiris as the lost tomb. I dunno any help would be grateful.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Could be fun then to have the tomb be empty.

Religion professor: Yeah, sure, it's called a tomb but as Lucifer is immortal is it's probably empty. Or would you prefer to have it still occupied?
Mercenaries: *nervous shuffle* *starting to count their weapons*

If you want to go with Lucifer, I'd look into MacGuffins to do with light. Maybe something that gave him the name of Lightbringer and something he lost in his fall?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want Lucifer's tomb or the place he fell to Earth when cast down by Michael? Would it be a tomb, or a place of imprisonment? If you're doing Christian mythology, figure out which myth you're using and follow it. I don't know all the stories, I admit, but I've never heard of a story where Lucifer was killed so there would be a tomb.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume Lucifer's tomb would be in Mt. Etna, due to his historical parallels with Typhon. That would require a number of intuitive (and some would say questionable) leaps of logic on my part. But since I've never heard of anywhere it could be. A pyramid in Egypt is not too bad either, considering the Set parallels as well.

Timbrian

Registered
Reaction score
DeleyanLee:
apologize for the forum. The point of this forum is this -- I'm trying to figure out what kind of MacGuffin to use in order for my MC to go after, and I for some stupid reason, I chose to go after the tomb of Lucifer. After re-reading this, and if the forum people will allow me, I will try and re-write what I had written. The bottom line is -- I guess I was going for a what-if scenario. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Do you need a religious connection? Because if you're just looking for a big name, the tomb of Antony and Cleopatra is still unknown, but, presumably near Alexandria. They supposedly were buried together by their Roman enemy, Octavian, as a gesture of respect. Who knows what might have been buried with them?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest missing tomb in Alexandria would have to be Alexander's. It was a major attraction for centuries -- I think Caesar visited it, & marveled at how well-preserved the body was. Then -- poof. Gone. The city has built up, all the topography & coastline has changed. Where is Alexander? People have looked, but no one has found it (yet).

Timbrian

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the help you have given me. I now know where I need to start.

Timbrian

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
The tomb of Osiris is at the Osirion at Abydos.

The Fall of the Angels would have happened prior to the creation of humanity, if you're going by Christian mythology.

Also according to Christian mythology, angels are creatures of pure spirit. Spiritual beings don't fight with physical weapons; they fight with the will.

I know it's a bit cliche-- it's sort of the source-of-legends in the same way King Arthur is for a different time and place-- but have you thought about trying things from the Queen of Sheba direction? You could do something with the Queen's Riddles, or something with the Queen's Idols, or something with their mythical offspring; or something about King Saul's legendary afrits and djinns; or something with a lost temple with hidden treasure.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Surely you mean Jewish mythology? What we know as The Old Testament, begun life as The Torah. As the great Geza Vermez pointed out, nothing Christ taught wasn't already said in the Torah.