Any other Manga writers in here?

AliceL

New Fish; Learning About [REDACTED]
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Was curious how many people on here are working on Japanese style Manga (though not necessarily in Japanese).

If you are one of these people, what are some mangas you read/loved and what kind of story are you writing now?

:)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Kind of? I mean, I've tried, and one of my current projects is on hold because I need more research on sci-fi(ish) technology drawing. XD

But what I read is all over the place - though lately it's been girl x girl romance due to missing it in my life. It also takes me forever to get through Manga just like it does books, due to reading them in spurts and taking long "breaks" where I don't feel like reading anything.

AliceL

New Fish; Learning About [REDACTED]
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of? I mean, I've tried, and one of my current projects is on hold because I need more research on sci-fi(ish) technology drawing. XD

But what I read is all over the place - though lately it's been girl x girl romance due to missing it in my life. It also takes me forever to get through Manga just like it does books, due to reading them in spurts and taking long "breaks" where I don't feel like reading anything.

Its nice to meet you Mel!

I feel you about being all over the place. The stuff I'm into ranges from slice of life to action drama to manga about lifting weights lmao. I love a good Shoujou Ai too so if you're ever in the need of a beta reader/viewer or just want some feedback I'd love to check out your work!

Rn I'm working on a manga about cars and racecar driving bc theres a surprising lack of content in that genre and its something I really enjoy. I do a bit of amateur racing at the track from time to time and have a background in Mechanical Engineering so I try to work some of those aspects into my work while still keeping it exciting and plot-relevant. I'm still in the planning phases though, with only like 5 chapters scripted out and an another 11 chapters in various stages of development. But! I'm aiming to get one chapter done a week and start storyboarding and drawing after I have maybe the first 10-15 chapters polished up.

Fencer_24

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write manga myself, but have been giving some advice to one of my nephew's friends, who's writing (drawing?) one with more or less the same themes as my novels. It's apparently extremely rare to find something military-related that's at least somewhat realistic.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i have one that's kinda like Airbender.... wish i could find someone to draw it for me...i'm a writer not a drawer. LOL

but the manga i enjoy... blood alone, akira, hikaru no go, with the light
i also read a lot of the manga found in shonen jump.

i guess this weekend i should really check out the manga selection at the book store... haven't done that in a while and could prolly find something interesting.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I've tried, oh does the maker know I tried...

My story was going to be a manga web comic, but the amount of drawing required and certain limits to storytelling got to me, so it never made it out of the planning stages.

I would love to try it again though :D

LLRenesson

Registered
Reaction score
I just got an undergraduate scholarship to do a manga. I'm in the process of writing the first draft right now. My story is mainly psychological. The main character is a girl who becomes mute after a traumatizing incident. My main goal with it is to raise mental health awareness. I will also be drawing the manga, which is honestly infinitely more fun than writing it. I also write a lot though. I'm kind of a jack of all trades. It's definitely a curse (I never finish anything!)

Anyway, since I went to college I've discovered that the stigma against manga is even worse than I thought. My Japanese professor even went so far as to tell me I couldn't just sit at home and draw manga all day. Which I definitely realize, thank you very much. Needless to say, I didn't get much support in that department. To my surprise, it was the honors college at my university that gave me opportunities. The Dean was amazingly supportive.

Anyway, the topic was about what story we're working on and what we like to read. Let me get back on track.

I haven't found a story I've really connected to in a long time. I tend to go with more romantic type stuff like Fruits Basket. That one's definitely a favorite because it deals with a lot pf psychological issues, and lets face it, that seems to be my specialty.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I've had an idea for a manga for years, but I have no drawing skills and could never find an illustrator. I'm mostly a CLAMP fan and old enough to remember when I couldn't buy the manga in English, so I had to order them from a Japanese bookstore and painstakingly translate them for myself.

My manga story is about two "angels" (they're ninatat, which is the AElitian equivalent of angels, and don't worry if that doesn't make sense to you--it's all based on a parageography project I worked on with Dr. Douglass Parker years ago) stuck on earth and their adventures through the centuries.

Loke1997

Registered
Reaction score
I tried drawing mangas, but they kind of evolved into writing! Because like most people here, I figured out how much work it is to write AND draw. And I couldn't find anyone who wanted to write a story with me, so I wrote my own instead, and then that became my writing. I might go back to drawing if I fail.

That's very nice, good luck with it!

Last edited:

BeautifulRoses

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hybrid style between Western comics and Japanese manga in art and writing, in a way that attempts to use the best of both worlds, the expressiveness of manga and the realism of the west. My art teacher was also a little stigmatized against it, preferring that I focus on observational drawing. In hindsight I'm glad I did though, as my drawing has improved significantly.

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Was curious how many people on here are working on Japanese style Manga (though not necessarily in Japanese).

If you are one of these people, what are some mangas you read/loved and what kind of story are you writing now?

:)
I love reading Fullmetal Alchemist, One Punch Man, and Monster. Bleach/Breach (original name) is bleh! I like Monster because it has a suspense mystery with a detective taste to it. I suggest people read Monster since its story is SOOOOO damn good.