*taps mic* Um, hi...Is this thing on?

fogisbeautiful

fogisbeautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fogisbeautiful.com
Hi everyone! I'm Emily, I'm a self-published sci-fi/fantasy writer from Texas, mostly just looking for a place on the internet to hang out and gab with other writers. I've been writing for over 15 years now, starting in fanfiction (which I still write, though not as often) and I've been seriously pursuing my original fiction-writing dreams since 2009 when I started participating in National Novel Writing Month (of which I'm a big advocate). I just published my first book in December, and its done much better than I expected, which I'm very excited about!

Aside from writing, I'm a fangirl of many things (Marvel, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, just to name three off the top of my head), and I craft with yarn (crochet, knitting, spinning my own yarn). I have a demon-cat named Layla, two dogs, Bear and Sugar, and an anti-social boyfriend who makes so few appearances in real life that my writing group calls him "the imaginary boyfriend" :p

I'll probably be a lurker for a while, until I get my bearings, but I'm excited to listen in on all the conversations happening around the Water Cooler!

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome to AW, Emily, and congratulations on your recent success! I attempted NaNo once... even got as far as registering myself an account. Then something shiny rolled by and I got distracted. But it was a fascinating insight into the signing-up process! I also enjoy the reading and the writing of the SFF (though not so much the knitting of the fabrics) so will no doubt see you around the SFF forums in the future.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

SFF writing can benefit with boyfriend's mannerisms.

You found a wonderful community with LOADS of very knowledgeable members.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Emily.

I'm a transplant from the northwest mountains, and I, too, think the nearly daily morning fogisbeautiful here on the coast.

Also a beauty is the fine old name Emily. My grandmother's (born in 1898) and my younger sister's (born in 1945).

I truly believe you can see your imaginary boyfriend. :greenie

fogisbeautiful

fogisbeautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fogisbeautiful.com
I'm a transplant from the northwest mountains, and I, too, think the nearly daily morning fogisbeautiful here on the coast.

Also a beauty is the fine old name Emily. My grandmother's (born in 1898) and my younger sister's (born in 1945).

I truly believe you can see your imaginary boyfriend. :greenie

Aw, you're so nice, thank you! I've been using "fogisbeautiful" all over the internet for years, it has served me very well :)

And you are not alone in your skepticism about Imaginary Boyfriend...and he feeds into it, by telling people who meet him that he's paid actor, LOL, as if I could afford to pay an actor... ;P

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
"Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn!
FOORTHTH EEORRLINGASS!!!"

*Rides down the ramp with Aragorn and other horses to smash Uruks. Looks at Gandalf and Eomer*

Gandalf: "Theoden King stands alone."
Eomer:" Not alone. ROHIRRIM!"

"TOO THE KINNNG!!!"

:D :D Can't help myself! I love the films more than the books. Currently about halfway through my first reading of The Two Towers. Its...good...somewhat good. I'm a big LotRs fan though! Good to meet you!

fogisbeautiful

fogisbeautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fogisbeautiful.com
"Let the armies of Mordor know this: Never again, will the land of my people fall into enemy hands! The city of Osgiliath, has been reclaimed! For Gondor!"
"FOR GONDOR!"

I'm a Boromir gal, myself ;P The books can be a bit of a slog. I honestly didn't get into the fandom until the movies (though I did read the books first), they helped me better visualize what was happening :) Glad to meet another LotR fan!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
"Let the armies of Mordor know this: Never again, will the land of my people fall into enemy hands! The city of Osgiliath, has been reclaimed! For Gondor!"
"FOR GONDOR!"

I'm a Boromir gal, myself ;P The books can be a bit of a slog. I honestly didn't get into the fandom until the movies (though I did read the books first), they helped me better visualize what was happening :) Glad to meet another LotR fan!

I remember sitting in the cinema, ready to watch Dungeons and Dragons (lord, that was crap....) but whoever sorts trailers knew their audience well, because when the screen went black and those two words went up "One Ring...." the ENTIRE audience lent forward with one huge intake of breath.
That was one of the very first trailers, the one that consisted mainly of the lines on-screen, a jumble of one-second shots, the dates and titles of the three films and then the shot from "Fellowship" of the whole group passing the camera as they go along the trail. I remember thinking "they got a pretty-boy to play the Elf!"
Amazing trailer. Far, far better than the film that followed it! (though it was somewhat entertaining to watch Jeremy Irons and Richard O'Brien chewing the scenery).

What type of fantasy do you write?

(I must get on with finishing my son's knitted top and my daughter's dress before they outgrow them!)