On the jackbooted heels of Gamergate...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Didn't recognize either of the names mentioned in the article. Is this an "inspired by" Twitter movement, or is this the same set of people fanning the flames of GG and the Puppies (and the US alt-right)?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So this time, they're not even pretending it's about ethics in comics journalism or anything like that. The mask is off, and it's about hate and the fear of becoming irrelevant. They're scared that people like them, with their tastes, are truly outnumbered, so they can't just sit back and confidently wait for this "social experiment" to fail on its own. They have to piss in everyone else's pancakes.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So this time, they're not even pretending it's about ethics in comics journalism or anything like that. The mask is off, and it's about hate and the fear of becoming irrelevant. They're scared that people like them, with their tastes, are truly outnumbered, so they can't just sit back and confidently wait for this "social experiment" to fail on its own. They have to piss in everyone else's pancakes.

I really think the problem is they don't understand who "people like them" actually are.

White men are not in danger of becoming irrelevant. Comics about white men are not in danger of disappearing. If you assume the comics market is a zero-sum game (and all publishing markets are, to a certain extent, although there's a fair amount of elasticity there), they may someday see a lower percentage of comics focusing on white men; but the well-written stories will survive, and survive easily.

What is becoming irrelevant is this notion that white men are the one and only important characters to write about, the only ones entitled to have adventures or to be heroes or to survive against all odds.

It's not white men who are becoming irrelevant. It's white men who want the rest of the world to also be white men, and possibly white women who are entirely subservient to them.

Oh, the host of imaginary things you'd have to be terrified of to feel like that. Poor snowflakes.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I really think the problem is they don't understand who "people like them" actually are.

White men are not in danger of becoming irrelevant. Comics about white men are not in danger of disappearing. If you assume the comics market is a zero-sum game (and all publishing markets are, to a certain extent, although there's a fair amount of elasticity there), they may someday see a lower percentage of comics focusing on white men; but the well-written stories will survive, and survive easily.

What is becoming irrelevant is this notion that white men are the one and only important characters to write about, the only ones entitled to have adventures or to be heroes or to survive against all odds.

It's not white men who are becoming irrelevant. It's white men who want the rest of the world to also be white men, and possibly white women who are entirely subservient to them.

Oh, the host of imaginary things you'd have to be terrified of to feel like that. Poor snowflakes.

I think they also dislike that the comics that are still centered on white male characters have given the nod to people who aren't, as support characters at least. It's not so much that white, male characters are disappearing, but that ones who think like these guys are disappearing or that characters with bigoted attitudes are being challenged more in the narratives.

I am guessing that the acknowledgment that people who aren't heterosexual, cisgendered, males of European heritage exist as something other than villains or something to mock (or objectify, in the case of women) is deeply offensive to these guys. Their favorite toy is being taken away. I think the leadership of these movements are deeply racist, sexist and cis and heteronormative (or blatantly homophobic and transphobic) people. They're angry that their white, straight boys' club has been invaded by "inferior" beings.

They're whipping up followers who aren't as virulent, perhaps, as they are, by convincing them that their favorite heroes and media are in danger of extinction or that their favorite scapegoat, political correctness, is leading industry magnates to hire inferior talent at the expense of the deserving. It's vital to them to believe (or to convince others) that the status quo--domination of our culture by white, straight, cisgendered males--reflects a meritocracy.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
If they think mainstream comic books used to be a meritocracy, they have not read them.

I love comic books. Been reading them since Batman got serious, then went back and read a whole lot from before my time.

Comic books have been a lot of fun. But, to my eye, they have often been pretty dreadful too. From classic WWII superheroes to the godsawful 1990s, comic books have gone through some abysmal writing and art.

I remember the days when the industry was unashamedly dominated by white men. That was when the industry was wasting away and the companies kept wringing their hands about how they would die out completely without a broader readership.

Nice to see them booming again.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My main takeaway from GG, the puppies, and this charming next chapter, is how much these parties always feel the burning sense that they're the ones being wronged and transgressed against, and when cornered always fall back on "Well they brought politics into it, not us!" as an excuse for whatever behavior they deem acceptable. Also, been watching a lot more Youtube channels lately, and starting to understand better how these ideas are gaining ground. (Srsly, young people!?)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It's vital to them to believe (or to convince others) that the status quo--domination of our culture by white, straight, cisgendered males--reflects a meritocracy.

But isn't that what meritocracies are!? :hasty sarcasm emoji for clarification:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
But isn't that what meritocracies are!? :hasty sarcasm emoji for clarification:

The choice of the word "meritocracy" is deliberate, and is a distributed talking point.

This is an article about the GoogleBro and how That Individual has made this his mob's latest cause. Don't read if easily nauseated.

Day's going to keep throwing spaghetti at the wall, as long as he gets media coverage.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love being othered by people being othered. Especially when we're all supposed to be one great big happy othered family.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The choice of the word "meritocracy" is deliberate, and is a distributed talking point.

This is an article about the GoogleBro and how That Individual has made this his mob's latest cause. Don't read if easily nauseated.

Day's going to keep throwing spaghetti at the wall, as long as he gets media coverage.

Oh, this is that guy again?

I didn’t realize he was a comic book fan. He never once mentioned them, so far as I recall, back when he was savaging women and nonwhite people in science fiction in an attempt to wrestle the Hugo awards away from the people who created them on the grounds that they were occasionally giving them to women and nonwhites.