Hi AW World

Deserae

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm Deserae. I've never joined a writing community before so this is a new experience for me. I read and write YA fantasy. I've been writing since I was five or six, can't remember. I was inspired by JK Rowling and Gail Carson Levine as a little girl, as well as TV shows like Mutant X, X-Men, Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel (the spinoff of Buffy). I never once looked back on deciding to become a fantasy author. I'm in college right now, but I only have one more semester left. Once I'm finished, I would love to be a beta reader! For now, though, I can't promise anything. But I'll try. All my free time goes into homework and writing as much outside of homework as possible. I've been writing so much lately and I've grown enough that I finally feel comfortable sharing and receiving critiques. I desperately need the feedback. I only have two friends who read my stuff and they're not writers, so...you know. My minor in college is Japanese, so I know a little bit of that. I also draw, just not very well. And not very often anymore because of school, but I plan to start back up once I'm done, even though all I can draw is really stiff anime characters. I like trying to draw my characters though, even if they don't turn out the way I want them to. It's fun to actually see my scenes in front of me.

So yeah, that's me. Any other YA authors out there? Or fantasy?

If you have short stories or scenes that you want someone to look at, especially if they're fantasy, I'll give it a go! I might just be slow cause of school, like I mentioned before. I'm a writing tutor so I'm always giving feedback on people's writing. Maybe that could help you!

I'm thrilled to finally be a part of a writing community! Thank you for letting me be a part of this! I'm excited to get to know everyone :)

じゃまた! (See you later!)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Ah, Buffy and Angel...I'm long overdue a re-watch of those shows.

I have them on DVD and roll them out once every couple of years in a marathon. But watching Glenn Quinn's character die in Angel always makes me sad. I can't help but wonder how different his life might've been if he was still a character on the show.

Anyway, sadness over! Welcome to AW Deserae!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score

Angel was fantastic. David Boreanaz (who played Angel) is in a new series called Seal Team. This is drama and secret, military missions. Loads of drama. He does very well in it. You found a wonderful community!

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey!
I'm a science fiction and action adventure writer, but I did give medieval fantasy a shot last spring in a writing class. I was stuck on, ironically, an action adventure story. So I did a fantasy story about two young girls, which I've revised twice on my own time, with help from other forums and a Discord server of writers from one of those forums. I gave it to two people on two separate servers to critique. They haven't had time lately, but if you want to read it I can private message you a link.

I'm three and a half terms from graduating college myself. Well...university to be specific. I've been in the loop since 2011, including breaks and switching majors. But I found what I enjoy, and the field I want to apply it to: video game writing. :D

Deserae

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!
Ah, Buffy and Angel...I'm long overdue a re-watch of those shows.

I think I rewatch them at least once every couple years. In between that I just watch my favorite episodes since I don't always have the time to watch that many seasons haha

But watching Glenn Quinn's character die in Angel always makes me sad. I can't help but wonder how different his life might've been if he was still a character on the show . . .

I didn't know he was dead!! I'm so sad now!! I loved him :(

You found a wonderful community!

Thank you!!

Deserae

Registered
Reaction score
Hey!
I did give medieval fantasy a shot last spring in a writing class . . . I gave it to two people on two separate servers to critique. They haven't had time lately, but if you want to read it I can private message you a link . . .

. . . But I found what I enjoy, and the field I want to apply it to: video game writing. :D

I would love to take a look at it! This next week or two look calm so I might be able to get it back to you pretty soon :) I also like reading action-adventure and sci-fi, it's just my main thing is fantasy. I actually just wrote my first sci-fi piece for a workshop class! I could PM it to you too if you want; the beginning especially needs some work. So if you want to send me a sci-fi or action story you're working on, too, I would love to take a look at that as well!

And I have a friend who's going to school for exactly that too! I didn't even think of that as a career option until I met her. I think that'd be really cool for someone who enjoys video games (I'm not very good at them so I tend to shy away). Is there a certain company you want to work for?