Looking to publish a 7,000 word non fiction piece

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to market a non fiction, self help book called "Make The Light Out or What My Pennsylvania Dutch Mother Taught Me about Daily Living. It's a self help/survival guide/family oriented type book. Most everyone has suggested that this book is too short for e publishing as a book. Any leads on magazines, or websites that I can sell this too?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
forsusan, this is basic research, and that's the author's job. Start out by hitting every place you know of that sells magazines. Leaf through the ones that seem promising. Buy a handful that seem the best fit with what you hope to sell. At home, read them and seek out their submission guidelines on the internet. That's a starting point.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
forsusan, no one has said your piece is too short for publishing as an e-book. It's too short to publish IN PRINT as a conventional book, but you can certainly publish it as an e-book. There are no length restrictions on e-books, and many authors publish short pieces that way.

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Marissa D, I registered with KDP today and plan to move forward with them for now.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I recommend that you avoid signing on with KINDLE SELECT. It's a sneaky little extra they slip in as though they're doing you a favor. It is not. For one thing, the money share you get is going to be a pittance, for another, it means you can't upload and sell the book through any other venues like Nook, Books-a-Million, Smashwords, etc. Kindle wants a monopoly on selling your title.

Read their instructions carefully, because many who are new to digital publishing may assume that Select is the normal way to do things. Their offer is worded to give that impression. For all I know they might automatically sign you into it and you have to check a box to opt out of it.

It also allows them to give your book away for free for 5 days of their choosing. That won't hurt established writers with dozens of titles, but it is of no help a writer with just the one publication.

I think you have a fine idea with this work and hope it gets out there, but be alert to the pitfalls attached! FWIW, I have never had any issues like this with Smashwords or Nook.

Some years ago (I was a newbie to digital publishing) I signed up and lost money in sales due to the Select offer. Never again!

Last edited:

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the warning, I'm going to sign in to kindle select and opt out.

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
After taking a closer look, you have to be enrolled in Kindle Select to run a price promotion. I'll be looking at the other places to e-publish the book.