Hello! Aspiring Comic Book Writer Here!

Lee Malek

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm Lee Malek, and like the title suggests I'm an aspiring comic book writer! I've loved them since I was a wee brat, and my pops would only let me read them from the library if I also checked out other books too (the ones without the pictures). After highschool I left for the Army and since mom and pop weren't around, I upped my comics intake to new extremes! I'd consume anything I could get my hands on and spent the entirety of most my paychecks on them. Eventually, after I left, I got into university as a STEM major, and made friends who were also into the same kind of stuff as I was. And although I was happy just talking comics and shooting the bull, I never was able to scratch my writing itch. Everyone's got great ideas, I figured why can't I just share some of mine and see how it pans out?

As far as my works are concerned, I'm currently in the middle of making a series of 5 pager black and white scifi pulps set within the same setting. I figure before I can start big, it's better to start small. No use trying to tell some grand fantastical superhero deconstruction epic if I can't even tell a short story!

What I'm looking for on this site is to look at other's works so I can form meaningful relationships not only with those who enjoy comics, but people who enjoy writing of any kind. I think it's cool that there's a place like this that gathers creators together like this and hopefully this could be a platform where I find like minded individuals who can help elevate each other's writing!

Thank you very much for the time it must've took to read this,

Lee Malek

P.S. I'd love to beta read for people, I think if I can find what I like and dislike in other's work, it can help me find the voice in my own.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Comics are great for SFF novel writers too. Suoerheroes and villains often have powers novelists never think about. I used one in my writing. You found a great community!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck on the sci-fi pulps, and welcome to AW!

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome, welcome. I've seen some excellent storytelling in comics, and we have a pretty active SFF crew around here. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Proud addict of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light here.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lee Malek

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, I appreciate the warm welcomes and am excited to be here! I'll be sure to look over the FAQ and refrain myself from overposting before I get to the Share Your Work thread!

Thanks again!
Lee Malek

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Hi Lee!

I'm a fellow comic book lover too (In fact my book series was going to be one, but alas, I didn't have the time nor discipline to pull it off D:)

I hope you enjoy your time here. Look forward to chattin.

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome! That's so cool that you love comics, and are even writing them! It means a lot to start your dream, and I'm glad you're going for it. I'm cheering for you! Keep making comics, you can do it!

bookmarky

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lee! I'm new too—welcome! I've been thinking about checking out a comic or two from the library, just to experience a new genre (I've read Maus and Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, and that's basically it). Do you have any favorite recommendations?