Safety of our material

Gideon2037

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Alan. I am bran new to this site, and I am beyond grateful to have found it. I am currently over thinking what I am going to write on the "hi everyone" board, and introduce myself. But until then I had a quick question and I wasn't sure where to post it.

As writers, do you ever worry that an unregistered person might swoop in and steal your concepts? The answer is probably "post at your own risk" but I was just curious what the general thought process was when it comes to that. Anyways I am so happy to have found this site. The owner and administrators really have set up a wonderful place for writers of all varieties to come. That in itself is inspiring.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome to AW, Alan! It's important to get your daily dose of fibre.

As writers, do you ever worry that an unregistered person might swoop in and steal your concepts?

Not really. There's a school of thought that suggests every concept or idea has already been written about in the past, from a lost warrior trying to find his way home and having adventures along the way, to werewolf steampunk horror erotica. Okay, probably not so much the last one. I'd be more worried about some random person outright plagiarising my work, but 1) I don't (and I don't think anybody does) post enough of a whole work here for that to be a major risk (except in the case of short/flash fiction) and 2) it would be more likely for full work already released.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This question comes up periodically in workshop environments no matter the venue.

You really shouldn’t worry about it.

After two decades debating this concern, I find that that’s basically what it boils down to. The pros of a workshop environment far outweigh the chance that someone may not only steal your idea, but actually, improbably, be successful with it.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
As writers, do you ever worry that an unregistered person might swoop in and steal your concepts? The answer is probably "post at your own risk" but I was just curious what the general thought process was when it comes to that..

• Concepts or ideas are not really important. Ideas are all over and most stories and poems throughout human history have drawn on the same pool of ideas, themes, and motifs.
  • Unpublished work isn't really worth anything unless you're already published and successful.
  • You are covered by copyright from the moment you start to create. The creation doesn't have to be public or published.
  • Share Your Work, where people post excerpts for crit after they have 50 posts in total, is password protected. Excerpts protected by password aren't searchable or indexed by the major search engines. Members can always post something for crit then edit their post later or ask a SYW mod an Admin to help them remove the post.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Welcome to the club!
I used to be really worried about the same thing, but sharing my work with others has only helped it to get better. You have nothing to worry about ^^

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm that very rare writer whose work was taken by another member of an online writing group and sold--and I still don't worry about theft. (I'd have liked to have that $35 she made off my work, though!)

Nice to meet you, Alan.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's my policy to refuse to edit for a prospective client expressing concern I might steal his or her work.

Experience shows distrust itself raises red flags: authors so unfamiliar with copyrights most likely are poorly read, which usually means mediocre punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

They're the first to say, "Well, ain't that stuff what I hire a editor to do?"

Perhaps, but lack of trust extends to basics such as comma placement, differences in peek, peak, and pique, and suggestions for alternates to fix unintentional repeat after repeat after repeat and negatively affects revisions.

It's a lost cause from the get-go. :Shrug:

I'd have liked to have that $35 she made off my work, though!

Jeez-Louise! If I say I'm sorry and send ya $35, can we be friends again?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(You'd be disappointed to learn how many times I've googled the thief's name, hoping to find some calamity had befallen her...)

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(You'd be disappointed to learn how many times I've googled the thief's name, hoping to find some calamity had befallen her...)

I think I recall reading about your genre's blatant thief. Once she was outed, didn't booksellers involved thereafter decline her plagiarized stories?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thief wasn't that successful. She sold a short story for $5 to seven friends on AOL. Small-time loser. Now and again I search for a character string from that story, but it's not online that the internet can find.

Gideon2037

Registered
Reaction score
well I did specify "what if someone was who isn't registered, viewed and stole anyones work" I had hoped that would suggest that I wasn't afraid of you guys stealing my work, because I am not.
And I definitely lack the basics, it's one of the reasons I joined the site. I'm sure Iv'e written things here that show just that. But my "from the get go" happened long ago and I'm not lost yet, so I'll keep going. There is much to learn.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a writing class where we all got the same writing prompt. Basically, the same idea to write about, in a class of about 20 there were 20 unique stories that were indistinguishable from each other. I don't worry about my ideas being taken at all. In fact, if you're looking for a prompt, hit me up, I'll share what I've got on my list of things I'd like to write some day when I get more time. A writer's voice is as individual as fingerprints, the different lives we all lead will lead to completely different story telling, and word choice, etc.

I also don't think I'm at a point in my career where I've got a product that would benefit someone enough to steal. I'm here to perfect my craft, and that means having to put my words out there for crits.

Gideon2037

Registered
Reaction score
I had a writing class where we all got the same writing prompt. Basically, the same idea to write about, in a class of about 20 there were 20 unique stories that were indistinguishable from each other. I don't worry about my ideas being taken at all. In fact, if you're looking for a prompt, hit me up, I'll share what I've got on my list of things I'd like to write some day when I get more time. A writer's voice is as individual as fingerprints, the different lives we all lead will lead to completely different story telling, and word choice, etc.

I also don't think I'm at a point in my career where I've got a product that would benefit someone enough to steal. I'm here to perfect my craft, and that means having to put my words out there for crits.

I'm glad everyone feels this way it definitely put me at ease. I mean the only thing I've ever feared, as rare as it would be, is if someone unaffiliated with the site, but with the means to make a film or something, would scan all of the work this community has built up, hoping to get an idea. But yeah I suppose it's a pretty irrational fear. And like everyone is saying the concepts can' t ready be stolen, and it's our own individual style that needs to stand out. But there are some pretty unique hooks and twists out there, you never know (x files theme song)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Gideon,

I think the critters on here are extremely generous, and a great part is how willing they are to help you with your own ideas.

Best of luck with your writing!

:welcome:

I'll add, retellings are developed on other published ideas with a new spin. I think it's true what all you posters have said. Every writer is different.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well I did specify "what if someone was who isn't registered, viewed and stole anyones work"

Indeed you did, and while I was huffing and puffing, I apparently forgot to acknowledge the fact and say welcome.

Um . . . so :welcome:, Gideon. PS: :ty: for the book you leave in hotel nightstands. :ty:

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
You'll get rogues in any business, but it's less common on writing sites. Anyone out to make a dubious profit off your work would like it as easy as possible: so a full manuscript that's been fully formatted into kindle etc, and cover art (although I had someone change the cover to one of mine, so that's optional apparently.). Then all they have to do is resell it or offer it up for free so they stroke their own ego with getting it out there for free. And that does happen. You also get rogue writers who steal too, but again, they're more likely to go for finished work, just changing names (or in the case of one famous lady: changing pronouns).

I really wouldn't worry about it here. :)

And welcome to AW!

Gideon2037

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed you did, and while I was huffing and puffing, I apparently forgot to acknowledge the fact and say welcome.

Um . . . so :welcome:, Gideon. PS: :ty: for the book you leave in hotel nightstands. :ty:

That's right! A book in EVERY hotel room. Recognize...

Gideon2037

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Was watching Stephen King give a lecture he basically said the same thing. When he was asked if he got credit for "The Stand" and how it likely influenced the all of these post apocalyptic dramas we have today. He spouted off about 5 other "end of the world" novels that came way before him, and then said how all stories have pretty much been done already and it's really about your own unique voice.