Agent + Small Publisher = ???

jobryan

Registered
Reaction score
How much can an agent really help in dealing with a small press?

The small publisher of one of my novels is interested in the sequel, but I've been taken on by an agent in the meantime. I think he expects to be involved in negotiating the contract for the 2nd book...but will he be able to do enough good to justify his percentage? I wouldn't question the agent's value with a larger publisher, but is a small press a different story? Sometimes? Usually?

Thanks.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It will depend on the publisher and the agent.

My agent hasn't taken a share off my royalties with the small press I signed with because it was a project we'd agreed I would shop around. (A novella trilogy in a genre/subgenre where he was not well-connected.) However, he still vetted the contract for me because it's in his best interest to make sure I'm not getting screwed or signing something that would limit his ability to sell the other novels I've written. When I went back to that publisher with a second trilogy of novellas (in a different genre) my agent worked the contract over with me again for the same reasons. (I did the leg-work, wrote and solicited the pitch and sample, etc.)

We talked about it in detail though. And he's not averse to having me submit certain things myself under certain circumstances, but that's how it works between him and me - not every agent/author relationship is the same. (Also, this was a small press that doesn't offer advances so it wasn't a question really of him getting me more money, although he did negotiate some of the fine print terms on remaindered items and such.)

So, you should talk to yours about it and see what he says and what he's offering to help with. (Without knowing the publisher or previous contract it's hard to say if he can get you something better or provide additional protection.)

jobryan

Registered
Reaction score
That's very helpful! I'll definitely bring this up with my agent, see if he's amenable. I don't want to offend him, but if he takes his normal percentage in this small press deal, I'll be left with just about nothing. Hopefully I can lay out the situation in a way that gets us on the same page.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Just curious, did you snag your agent with the same book you're planning to sell to the small press? Or did your relationship start with a completely different novel?

That could make a difference. Obviously, if he took you on due to this novel, he'd want to be part of the sell and I'd advise letting him. If not, I totally agree in just having the conversation with him. If he's a good agent, he'll do what makes you the most successful (as that pays better for him in the end).

jobryan

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, did you snag your agent with the same book you're planning to sell to the small press? Or did your relationship start with a completely different novel?

That could make a difference. Obviously, if he took you on due to this novel, he'd want to be part of the sell and I'd advise letting him. If not, I totally agree in just having the conversation with him. If he's a good agent, he'll do what makes you the most successful (as that pays better for him in the end).

Thanks for the response - it was a completely different novel.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming in to say that I recently signed with my agent for a YA novel, but I also write romance/erotic romance for epubs of different sizes. He's happy to look at my contracts for these and help me out, but I'm fine to 'go it alone' for these digi-books. Anything that's adult romance which I think is suitable for print/larger publishers I am giving first to him and the agency before hitting epubs. A good and responsible agent will want to ensure you're not being screwed over by a publisher, regardless of whether they are getting a percentage of your earnings. It's good business and the ethical thing to do. Just my two cents. Good luck with everything.