Second Thoughts About Signing a Contract

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
All the way back in October, I got an acceptance for one of my stories to be published. But since then there have been problems. For one thing, the publisher kept pushing back the dates when we would receive our contracts (You'll have them by Halloween, You'll have them before New Year's, You'll have them the second week of January). In the mean time, the publisher also announced that this would be the last anthology they would publish, and have since shut down their website and stopped updating their Facebook. About a week ago, I started looking into other publishers, because I felt this one had gone dead.

And now, four months later, I finally have a contract. However, sent along with the contract is a request for the authors to do their own promoting for the anthology, because the publisher is "too burnt out" to do it herself. I was always under the impression that part of the deal with going with a traditional publisher was that they were the ones promoting your work. Otherwise, you might as well go with the self publishing route.

This is all beginning to seem like a riskier and riskier deal.

So I have been thinking that I am just going to send a letter to the publisher saying I changed my mind about having my story published in this anthology. But I was hoping to get the opinion of some other authors before I do.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
A publisher announcing they're "too burnt out" to promote their own publication is...well, I'll be nice and call it extraordinarily unprofessional. I'd send that polite letter about withdrawing your story from the anthology. Why let it get tied up by a publisher who isn't interested in being a publisher?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd withdraw my work. If it's taken several months for you to be given a contract, how long is it going to take for you to receive any payments?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Be professional and polite and withdraw your work from consideration. Remember, you do NOT owe her an explanation as to why. Honestly, if she can't figure it out, she really shouldn't be publishing. But save yourself the headache and trouble. I wish I'd had that advice back in the day.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Agreed. However, I would stress the importance of being polite and professional in withdrawing. In my experience, this industry is a small world - people know each other. Not as much in the short-story market as in the agent world, but still best not to burn any bridges.