two more questions about short story collections

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm polishing up a collection of literary short stories to show an interested agent (and dying of impatience and anticipation--I can't believe she's interested in short stories!), and I'm wondering about two things. First, I've seen threads about this before, but I couldn't get a definitive answer from what I read...what is an ideal length for a short story collection? Mine is just 51,000 words, which I know would be on the slim side for a novel, but, from what I've observed, short story collections tend to run shorter? I'm deliberating as to whether I should add more stories. I have a few more that I could revise, but I really like the movement from one to the next in my current manuscript.

Also--six of these stories are published, two are not. I know it's an asset to have published stories when pitching a collection, but is it a problem if all of the stories are published? Will agents and publishers want a few new ones in the collection? My impulse is to send out both the unpublished stories once I've put the finishing touches on them, but do you think I should hold off until I've shown the manuscript to the agent?

Wish me luck, guys! I feel so close! I also feel like, if I blow this, I probably don't have very good chances going forward *____* So I'd better not blow it!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You might want to look at the top short story collections on Amazon and see if there's a length that these average into.

For the second question, I couldn't speculate.

Best of luck in whatever format you choose to go with!

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Can't answer your first question, but as for the second one, I'd keep the second two stories exclusive to the manuscript, at least for now. Otherwise, people aren't getting any of your stories that they couldn't just go find on the Interwebs somewhere (if you were published online)

GOOD LUCK!!!! :hooray: