anime recs?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! My 11 year old daughter has just binge watched Sonic X on Youtube (she has ALWAYS loved Sonic, but had moved away from it for a bit). She wants to find another anime series, but I have no idea what to recommend to her. She's going to ask some friends of hers, but thought I'd ask here as well. I recommended just from a quick search, DragonBall Z and she practically chewed my head off. Apparently that one sucks. LOL We preferably want shows found on Youtube or Netflix or Amazon Prime (if they carry Anime series?).

Thanks!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
11 year old girl, definitely Little Witch Academia on Netflix. Adorable and kid friendly. You can also use Crunchyroll for free with just a few ads and get all the anime you could ever want.

Dragonball Z is... well, it's something. Bad in a fun way. XD It's also insanely long. I mean, there's still a Dragonball series running new episodes NOW (Dragonball Super). Dragonball's been going in some form since, like, the 80s or early 90s. She might prefer Sailor Moon more.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched Gargantia and the Verdurous Planet on Netflix and dug it. Might be a little heavy for an 11 year old, but not too much so, I think. I loved Yu-Gi-Oh.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! My 11 year old daughter has just binge watched Sonic X on Youtube (she has ALWAYS loved Sonic, but had moved away from it for a bit). She wants to find another anime series, but I have no idea what to recommend to her. She's going to ask some friends of hers, but thought I'd ask here as well. I recommended just from a quick search, DragonBall Z and she practically chewed my head off. Apparently that one sucks. LOL We preferably want shows found on Youtube or Netflix or Amazon Prime (if they carry Anime series?).

Thanks!

Cardcaptor Sakura?
Azumanga Dioh?
Full Moon wo Sagashite (Searching for the Full Moon)?
yugioh?
the original pokemon series?
Fruit Baskets?
Fairy Tail?
Skip Beat?
and not REALLY an anime...but depends on who you talk to...but how about Avatar: The Last Earth Bender?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Does The Last Unicorn count? (I know it's not a series, others probably have better reccs than I do...)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

If you're going to get recommendations, here's a search engine that lets you find legal streams:

Because.moe

It covers the USA, Canada, the UK and Australia (so it's not useful for me personally), but it's a great service. I've tried to run some of my favourite recommendations through it but came up empty, so they're probably not available.

Amazon Prime has anime. Amazon tried and abandoned a service called Amazon Strike (which would have had you pay extra), but now all that available there is available in Prime.

Maggie Maxwell mentions Crunchyroll, which has an extensive service. Crunchyroll has a deal with Funimation (another option), so the catalogue is extensive. Crunchyroll focuses on Japanese with subtitles, while Funimation focuses on English dubs. Amazon will have whatever's available. I think Netflix usually offers dubs (as well as Japanese with subs), but I'm not sure. If your daughter doesn't want to read subtitles, that will reduce what's available pretty drastically.

Long-running shows (52+ episodes / a year or longer) are usually family friendly as they are during the day in Japan. Shows that with a run-time of 11 - 26 episodes are often late-night anime, but there are many, many exceptions. Shows targeted at teenagers will often have perv jokes (I remember some minor outrage over an episode of Dragonball Z when it aired as children TV program in Austria, about an old guy perving over an underage character.) It's not something that I'd worry too much about, but you might run into... unexpected question (like why someone would want used underwear).

Other than the ones already mentioned:

Gakuen Alice is available on Crunchyroll. I'm nearly certain that means its only available in Japanese with English subtitles (I'm fairly certain a dub exists, but probably not online). A girl's best friend suddenly transfers to another school. She's a bit of a ditz, so she refuses to accept this and just follows her to that school. What she doesn't know is that it's a school for children with special talents (think magic-like) and that she seems to have the talent to disable other people's talents. So she unrolls, too, but is the school really what it seems. ~ 26 episodes.

Kemono no Souja Erin (Crunchyroll): About a girl who takes care of war animals. [It can be *very* scary at times, and it's a good show for all ages, but, boy, would I have devoured this show at 11.] ~ 50 episodes

Dennou Coil (Hidive - not sure if available for free): A mystery show about augmented reality. How real is a world that goes away if you take of your special glasses? How do you grief for a pet that was, strictly speaking, never alive? Can people's minds get lost in virtual reality, and if they can, can you find them and bring them back?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone. I can't wait to run these by her and see what she thinks. I'm just nervous about anything being overly inappropriate. She's wicked smart and and advanced for her age, but I'd like to see her stay innocent on some things. ;)

The Last Unicorn! I saw that movie as a kid and loved it. I will have to have both my girls check that one out.

Crunchyroll is something I will have to check out for sure.

Thanks again everyone! Got some great ideas to work off of here.

Best,

Mel

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I don't think that's an anime...

Seconding. There's a bit of anime influence in the aesthetic (IMHO), but I'm not sure it counts.

As for anime TV series, my viewing experience is sadly limited - dim memories of Starblazers are about it, though I do like what I've seen of (not technically anime) Avatar.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. :) I'll admit I was thinking of the animation team. I'm out of my element, but might I suggest Escaflowne if no one else has?

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely throwing my hat in for Little Witch Academia. And Avatar: The Last Airbender is great regardless of whether or not it 'counts' as anime.

If she ever does want to watch Dragonball Z (it is a major genre influence) watch Dragonball Z Kai (which cuts huge amounts of filler so is shorter. Not short. But shorter). My husband loved Shaman King growing up, though I've not watched it. Yu Gi Oh is campy fun. Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon are great recommendations. Yu Yu Hakusho is a classic. My Hero Academia is fantastic, but might be a little violent? Depends on your tolerance, plus the villains are pretty terrifying. Once she's a little older, she should definitely look at Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Or just get her into One Piece and she'll be occupied at least through high school ;) (But seriously, One Piece is amazing everyone should watch/read it).

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the question is whether you want the letter of anime or the spirit. :) I think The Last Unicorn, Avatar: TLA and the Dreamworks Voltron on Netflix are all in the right neighborhood.

Little Witch Academia is adorable. Chi's Sweet Home is also adorable if she likes kittens doing adorable kitten things (I believe the old 2d episodes are on Crunchyroll, which are the ones I'm familiar with, but the new 3D one is on Amazon Prime)

Edited to add:

Or just get her into One Piece and she'll be occupied at least through high school
wink.png
(But seriously, One Piece is amazing everyone should watch/read it).
How did I forget about One Piece? Loooooove. Although I feel like that one might be better served by the manga than an anime, because heaven forbid they take a season off so they don't have to scrape the content as thin as possible in the anime >.>

Last edited:

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Cowboy Bebop is maaaaybe a bit darkish/mature for some eleven-year-olds. Parental guidance strongly suggested.

Hmmm. Princess Tutu? Pretear? Twelve Kingdoms? Noein (if she's good with a bit heavier/darker)? No idea what the streaming status of any of those is, though.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I Thiiiiink Pretear is on funimation.com, so most of the eps may be behind the paywall. Last I saw, Princess Tutu was on Amazon Prime though.