Farewell, John Mahoney (Martin Crane, Frasier)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out, this morning, that the actor passed away two days ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/05/entertainment/john-mahoney-obit/index.html

He is part of American TV history, and will be missed. Interestingly, he played a character on Cheers for one episode. Frasier was in the episode. I believe he was a piano tuner or repair guy, or a repair man of some sort. I did not see the episode in a long time. He did not play Frasier's father in the episode. Also, interestingly, he is not the first cast member, of Frasier, to pass away. Moose, the dog who played Eddie, passed away in 2006.

I like to think Moose was waiting for him up in Heaven.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the news yesterday and had a moment of sadness. He was both well liked and respected by his fellow actors, if Twitter is any indication, and did a good bit of stage work in New York. And it was cool to learn he didn't start acting until he was nearing 40.

Speaking of Frasier on Cheers, I remember an episode in which he attempted to rustle up some sympathy for being an orphan, then in the spin-off, voila! A father.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
His character on Cheers was an old-timey con man, of the Music Man variety. Frasier's the only one who sees through his flim-flam at first, which I always found particularly funny.

He was also the cartoonishly horrible Faulkner stand-in in Barton Fink.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
He acted the part of Marty Crane so well. We recently saw Eight Men Out again; Mahoney was good in the dramatic role of Manager Kid Gleason of the 1919 Chicago White Sox.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to check his credits at IMDb, but I remember being shocked at him playing your classic evil business tycoon, going off in a helicopter while leaving others to die in the snow. He was perfectly good being bad, but it was kind of a jolt after Marty Crane.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I loved him on Frasier. He made a great "TV dad." And then he popped up on Burn Notice as someone decidedly less nice and police detectively.

RIP, sir.

Babayaga321

Registered
Reaction score
Heard it on the BBC news this morning. He was born in Blackpool, Lancashire apparently... :)