My YA novel just came out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa!! How cool is that! CONGRATULATIONS!!

(& thx 4 the fyi that you started in 2012. I've heard publishing is ... not fast....)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic. Very well done! :hooray:

May I ask what the biggest obstacles, for you, were in the years since 2012?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Der Otter. One of the teen readers at my bookstore read the galley, and we have it on display with her positive review. Check out our blog at some point, when it gets added. (I have no control over when it gets added)

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
May I ask what the biggest obstacles, for you, were in the years since 2012?

It was a long and convoluted journey, heh. When I first started subbing the book to agents, the characters were in their early twenties and I was categorizing it as kinda New Adult, kinda romance/women's fiction; I got a couple of revise-and-resubmit requests and some very nice personalized rejections, but everyone ultimately passed on it. So after a year or so I shifted my focus to another novel (Mindwalker, a YA sci-fi which was itself a rewrite of a previous project) and got my agent through that. I then sent her this novel (which was at that time titled ALVIE FITZ, after the main character) and my agent said that it felt more like YA to her; she recommended that I age the characters down a few years, which I did, and made a few tweaks to the plot as well. (Ironically I've already had a few readers say it feels more like NA to them...I think it sits right on the borderline between genres).

Ultimately, I think the fact that it took so long to sell it had less to do with the book itself and more to do with me being unable to find its niche in the market. Though I think it also helps that novels about neuroatypical characters are much more common now than they were in 2012. Maybe the literary world is just more accepting of these types of stories now.

I guess the lesson is that, if you're having trouble finding a home for your novel, don't despair. The market is always changing, and something that's unsellable now may be trending in four or five years.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
The Otter: Wow; TY very much!! Greatly appreciated. Your information is very helpful for me, as well as other, new writers. Most generous to share with us. :snoopy:

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Otter!!!!!! Your book has such a gorgeous cover, and what an encouraging story behind it!!

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, how awesome is that? Congrats, Otter!

I agree with everyone else, by the way: MAN that cover is great.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Otter! It looks like a super read. :D

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Delighted for you, Otter, and it's always encouraging to know when someone else succeeds. Thanks for sharing the tale of progress.

:Hug2::partyguy:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
That's lovely news, many congratulations! Your story is very inspirational, and your book looks like an excellent read. Well done. :partyguy:

Status
Not open for further replies.