Published; now switching agents. Will agents look upon me poorly?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone, thank you, this thread has been much more helpful to me than I thought. Barbara, thank you for your most recent insight. That line of reasoning makes total sense, and I'll just have to hope I encounter an agent and editor who are prepared to use those arguments - it's quite easily done in my case, as there were failings on behalf of my publishers, but it just takes someone who is prepared to support me. Fingers crossed! I agree with you about traditional over self-publishing too.

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
Another one here who has switched agents several times for different reasons. I feel like my publishing resume is a plus in getting attention from new agents insofar it shows that I've been vetted by other agents, I can produce, that I can work successfully with various editors and houses. It's a form of social proof, I guess.

Now yes, poor sales could hurt, I guess. But the agents I know fall in love with a book they can sell and sell big - not the author - and, if they adored the book, would probably feel you out on whether you'd be willing to take a new name (and thus start fresh with the whole issue) before rejecting you for low sales on other books that they didn't sell (and they're not making any money from. )

So it all goes back to the book. Whether they love it, whether they can sell it. Book >>>> author. New saleable awesome book >>>> past low performing books.