• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can't Enjoy Reading Anymore?

Devan Isra

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's anyone else like this... authors always say writers should read, read, read like crazy, and I have. In the past. And I loved it. But since becoming a full-time writer... I just don't enjoy it anymore. It feels like a chore, or a slog. Maybe I get exhausted from writing all day. But I did used to love to read (it's what made me a writer), and I'd like to learn how to enjoy it again. And oddly enough, I notice the quality of my own writing slips after I try reading for a while? (Maybe it tires me out mentally? It doesn't affect my style or voice, it's like it makes me lazy.) I only have a hard time reading fiction. Non-fiction is fine. Additionally, it seems like my mind is constantly picking apart books that I read, scanning for mistakes or things that could be improved, and that just kills me. I don't want to be in editor mode when I'm trying to read for enjoyment - so I just end up feeling frustrated. I am very critical of my own writing, by the way, so perhaps I'm just used to reading that way at this point. I haven't read for enjoyment for years now. It just seems like I can't both read and write - like I can only have one or the other. I'm told my writing is good, and other writers have told me that if reading isn't doing anything for me that I should just give it up and focus on my own work. What do you think? Do you go through this?

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
What about listening to books? Perhaps you wouldn't be as distracted in 'editor mode' if you listened while driving or doing other monotonous chores?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'll start writing my first book in just a handful of days or so. I won't read fiction when writing my book. For me, I don't want anything to influence my writing. I think it boils down to economics (and can be seen as an economic model). If writing is on the x-axis, and reading others' works on the y-axis, the more you read, the less you write. The more you write, the less you read. There's some equilibrium point, but how is quality and quantity of your writing affected by this?

Your eyes get tired looking at your own writing; no argument. If you type on a computer, try getting a pair of blue blocker glasses. They make clip-ons for prescription glasses too. These are great; they help me work at the computer for many more hours, without eye fatigue. They block blue light, which fatigues the eyes.

I won't read anything else until I stop writing.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
You gotta do whatever works for your career and your life. I do think (tongue in cheek) that you should see a therapist. A writer disliking to read is a sign of a brain tumor or some such!

I do notice that when I'm on a writing streak I don't read or read as much. But that's simply because I don't have the time.

I also notice that over the years I've become more critical. But this means I have to work a bit more to find books I want.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I only have a hard time reading fiction. Non-fiction is fine.

Then read non-fiction. The reading part, for your enjoyment, is more important than the what-you-read part. Good non-fiction is as honorable and enjoyable as is good fiction. I read a lot of non-fiction, often for long stretches of time. I am very eclectic in my reading habits, and go where whims lead me.

Read on.

caw

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW OP, you're not alone. I'm pretty sure I've seen these threads pop up regularly. If it's any comfort, there seems to be a natural end to the Reader's Block :)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
What about listening to books? Perhaps you wouldn't be as distracted in 'editor mode' if you listened while driving or doing other monotonous chores?

I do this, but yeah, some books, even bestselling ones, have painful "telling, filtering, repetitive phrases." and my editor brain can't shut up about it, but usually, I just push through, note it, and apply it harshly to my own writing. Modern books seem to have addressed some of those things more than older ones, but if I say one thing--don't say "s/he looked at him!" I've got a bug up my arse about that one lately--too many books doing it. Probably just me, but there's really no need. "Looked up," okay, "looked away," maybe, the rest . . . I'm more guilty of turning and touching. I've read multiple books with three examples on the page, and having it read to you--man it stands out! That's why I listen to my own writing. Really helps find those spots.

In general, I do recommend reading, but if a writer is busy writing, totally makes sense to step off for a bit.

I deeply enjoy a good audio book keeping me company while I go about tasks, and especially errands and driving. It's an easy way to work it in, like Mary Love says.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I definitely empathise. In days long past, if I found a story that was kinda mediocre, I'd probably stick it out until the end just to see how it was done. Now, if I come across something I don't like—or worse, badly written/full of mistakes—I don't bother trying to read it.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't seem to have the patience (or the time) to sit down and read much any more. During the summer, when I'm not working (I'm an elementary school teacher), I read a lot more. During the school year, not so much.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Writers are advised to read as means to improve their writing but if you are happy with your own writing without reading, then don't read. You don't have to push yourself to do things that bring nothing to your life. :Shrug:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing has definitely affected my reading. Unfortunately you become aware of common writing errors that would have previously sailed right past you. Too much exposition, padding, excessive description, bad grammar or phrasing--it all conspires to take you out of the story.

OTOH, when I run into some of that, it allows me to see what it looks like from the outside, so to speak. Which helps me to avoid doing it in my own writing. So there's an upside.

Devan Isra

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the thoughts, advice and sympathy. I have never tried audiobooks but I do have a beta reader who is happy to read my work out loud to me (which helps me catch a lot of problems). And thank you for the link, Marissa D, I'm having a read over there.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing did ruin my reading for a while. But, just like learning how to read to see tools and technique, I slowly learned how to turn it off and be taken for the ride instead of analyzing. For me, it came in time.

As far as quality of writing slipping after reading a lot, I have a very bad tendency, especially when I was newer to writing, of mimicking whatever I was reading at the time. This too got better with practice.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I feel ye. I've become so critical, I find it hard to finish books. I try to focus on prize-winners and classics, and also a lot of non-fiction. I never bother sticking with a book that doesn't thrill me. There are so many brilliant books out there, but finding them can be tricky.

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
Reading for me has been harder too since I started writing. I alternate between 3 modes when I read fiction: This is Awful, I Write Like This!, I Could Never Write This Well. When I am able to reign in my analytical mind enough, reading gives me affirmation that my writing is OK and that my skills are improving.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine not reading. I think as I developed my writing I became more aware of what works and doesn't work in what I'm reading at the time but never enough to put me off. A great book actually helps me fire up my inspiration, and helps me makes connection. I sometimes have to stop about 3/4 times to scribble down notes in my notebook.

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Being a writer has definitely trained me to read other books with an editor's eye—weak, floppy, repetitive lines can ruin my opinion of a book. But I don't think my enjoyment of reading has gone down at all. I can still immerse myself in a story even while noticing some bits of weak writing, because in the end, if a story is good, I'll be sucked in even with sloppy lines. If anything, reading always rejuvenates my desire to write more and better, and reminds me why I love the genre I write. Maybe you've just been reading mediocre books?

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
I just took 5 years off from writing for various reasons. Earlier this year I picked up Asimov's Foundation series and read through them in a couple of days. Next I started on his robot series.

At the end of January I sat down at the computer and wrote a 75,000 word novel in 3 weeks. And now that I'm writing again I don't see myself reading a whole lot because there's only so much imagination the brain can handle.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I went through a time when I couldn't get any satisfaction from reading, couldn't find anything I wanted to read, but this was before I started writing. I got over that with some self-examination. Years later when I got deeper into my writing habit, I caught myself nit-picking as I read and realized that that would ruin the reading for me. So I read the first time for enjoyment and curiosity, and then if the book is really enjoyable I read it the 2nd+ time(s) with an analytical eye.

Last edited:

Ji'ire

Registered
Reaction score
I find there is always something that bugs me and pulls me into editor mode, even if its just a few lines. But when I catch those thoughts I just try to ignore them and overall that doesn't take much away from my enjoyment of reading. I'm definitely more picky though and if the book irks me early on I won't hesitate to drop it.

Reaction score
I read what I want to read. If I don’t like it fairly quickly, I will simply stop reading it unless I’ve got a specific reason for finishing it. I do notice things I would have done differently, but I tend to think about them once I’m done with the book, so it doesn’t ruin it for me.

Boethius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vinemaple.net
I have been through periods when I could not read, but I can trace them to other sources of stress, like an illness, a tough stretch at my day job, or a sad life event. They always pass and I begin reading again.

Many writers avoid reading fiction while they are writing fiction. I read fiction, even books close to the one I am working on, while I am writing, but I have to be careful. I have a tendency to seize on themes or structures in a book I am reading and let them bleed into my own work. That's okay, but I try to be conscious of what I am doing. I have been horrified when going over a draft to see that I've incorporated something foreign from a book I read that does not fit in. Then I have to waste time rooting it out and backfilling. I find it helpful to avoid reading contemporary writing while I am in the thick of a first draft, but I can read nineteenth century novels easily and they seem to help keep me on an even keel.

I have become much more discriminating as I get better at my craft, but that is good, not bad. I used to read indiscriminately. Now, I always sample before I commit to reading. My standards are much higher. And I have found that I appreciate classics like Hemingway, Maugham, Fitzgerald, Melville, and Conrad much more than I used to because I appreciate their perfected craft. That's not to say that all contemporaries are bad, but some are not good and they will be weeded out over time. In other cases, a good story triumphs over bad writing. Dreiser is a classic example. I loved An American Tragedy when I first read it, and I still like it, but I sure would like to give it a hard edit. Or superb writing carries a limping story. Raymond Chandler is that way for me. I love his mysteries, but they often are hard for me to follow.

The whole thing is, everyone is different and you have to expect that you will become more aware of good writing as you practice it more yourself. Also remember that opinions differ and your own opinions will change over time.