Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
So for the past two years I've found myself getting more and more trepidatious about starting new books. I've always been cautious to 'commit', especially series, because I REALLY get into novels I love, sometimes to the point of obsession; ther'es always that fear you'll love the first one but not the later ones. However, in the past two years it's been getting a lot worse.

I beta read more than I real-read now, because there is no pressure to enjoy something if beta'ing; and although I have list as long as a house of books I'd love to dig into I'm unwilling to actually try any. The anxiety of disappointment is stupidly strong--and it IS stupid. To the point of almost phobia >.> But I just hate starting a book or series and being let down. It's like psyching yourself up for a date who's a no-show. And I'm so goddamn picky/snobbish.

Anyone else ever get like this? (You can all say no, it's quite alright :p)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm picky but not at all snobbish. I sometimes get burned out and when that happens I go looking for a novel, an anthology, a poetry collection, or an author I haven't yet read. Reading widely and reading deeply seems to do the trick for me. ymmv

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
At work so limited time, but - I had the problem of being unable to read for a while. I'd pick up a book and couldn't connect, couldn't find anything satisfying. It had a lot to do with my thoughts about myself, so I had to - uh - clean house? kind of, about that, & then I had to take chances & be willing to explore; eventually I began to find books I enjoyed again but I was in the cold for a few years - after having been a person who I could always find pleasure and solace in reading.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
How widely are you reading? If you are confining your reading selections to the genre you most like to write, that could get to be a problem, IMO. If you write Fantasy, go read some mysteries, or detective fiction, or horror. Narrative styles vary from genre to genre, to some extent, and there's always something to learn from good narrative, regardless of genre.

caw

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I've found that alternating reading fiction and non-fiction helps--when I've read a disappointing piece of fiction, I'll pull one of the non-fiction books out of my TBR pile and read that as a palate cleanser, which makes it easier to jump back into novels.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I write fantasy (she says, having only been writing for a year and a half... >.>) but read very little of it atm--much more of other genres, I suppose. Anything except erotica, romance, and WF is fine. Crime and nonfiction mostly. Some literary.

I'm reading very little fantasy because some of it, particularly retro and particularly s&s, tends to use the setting as a limiter rather than a springboard. In the newer stuff tThere's a big trend for Gods atm and I could never get into those, so waiting for trends to move on to something else. I guess I'm very picky for the genre I love.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
hm. Why did you choose that genre if you read other stuff more?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
heh, I didn't choose; I'm in awe of people who can! I don't think I could write anything else. Maybe SF, some day.

I do actually love fantasy and/or science-fantasy, despite my gripes. It is my favorite genre to read. Maybe I love it too much--end up overly selective, perhaps.

How do you housekeep your head?_?

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I read YA fantasy because I write it, so I need to read it to see what's going on, and I'm unwilling to step outside the genre for a lot of personal reasons. I don't even read adult fantasy because of those reasons.

I will admit this without a doubt: I am a huge snob/hugely persnickety when it comes to what I read. If I come across an idea that feels stale, if the first 3 pages fail to hook me, hell, even if the cover art feels garish or uninteresting, I won't pick it up. I could have a list of 10 new books coming out recommended to me by friends or that sound interesting through my own research, but I may take home 3 of them. If that. I even returned a book by one of my all-time favorite authors (I own 17 of their books) because I was so disappointed in the product I got. I sometimes literally feel like a dragon who's constantly hungry for new books to devour and I've come up sorely lacking.

So, yeah, I totally get you Harlequin, about being overly selective. I love fantasy, it's been my bread and butter ever since childhood. Ever since I picked up that first book of fairy tales. But sometimes...sometimes there just aren't enough new and interesting things being offered.

(I'm looking at you, dystopian fiction that has taken over fantasy. Enough with the corrupt governments already! But that's another rant...)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
heh, I didn't choose; I'm in awe of people who can! I don't think I could write anything else. Maybe SF, some day.

I do actually love fantasy and/or science-fantasy, despite my gripes. It is my favorite genre to read. Maybe I love it too much--end up overly selective, perhaps.

How do you housekeep your head?_?

oh, ok. Mine too.

'clean house' - sort of means a combination of self-examination & letting go of complications.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've found that alternating reading fiction and non-fiction helps

An excellent suggestion. Good narrative nonfiction is great for getting in touch with something different. I read a lot of popular nonfiction, especially in fields of history and science. A short list of some of my faves of recent years:

Cooper's Creek, Alan Moorehead (along with numerous other books by this Australian historian)
The Reason Why, Cecil Woodham-Smith (a historical analysis of the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade)
The River of Doubt and Destiny of the Republic, Candice Millard (two centered on major American political figures and dramatic events)
Flat Earth, Christine Garwood (a rationalist's history of believers in a flat earth)
The Immense Journey, Loren Eiseley (a paleontologist who wrote poetry and wondrous essays that show up in literature anthologies)
The Log from the Sea of Cortez, John Steinbeck (a journal of his trip to collect biological specimens for his friend Ed Ricketts, hilarious and touching all at the same time)

Just a few good ones I've read in the past three or four years.

caw

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have just described how I started to feel about reading for enjoyment years ago. I'd pick up a book, get SO disappointed by the writing or the voice, and then not read anything new for months because I'm convinced the problem is me, and I can't bear to pick up another book for fear it would be the same.

It sucks. Only quite recently was I able to overcome the block. These were the steps that worked for me:

1. I identify what it is that I most look for in books. For myself, it's voice. Whether it's MG, YA, or adult, no matter the genre, it's the voice that grabs me. So when I flip through books, I know what I'm looking for.

2. Amazon's "Look Inside" feature is a life saver. Be supremely ruthless when you read the excerpt. If the excerpt doesn't grab me, I don't buy the book, no matter how hyped or well-reviewed it is.

3. I give myself permission to not finish books. I have a stack of books I read to about 25% because slogging through something I'm not enjoying is just not worth my time.

4. I did this. I pasted it on the wall and each time I finish a book, I write its title down on the "bookshelf". It seems silly, but it's actually working really, really well. I've read five books so far this year, and I always look forward to finishing a book so I can add to my little "bookshelf".

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
You have just described how I started to feel about reading for enjoyment years ago. I'd pick up a book, get SO disappointed by the writing or the voice, and then not read anything new for months because I'm convinced the problem is me, and I can't bear to pick up another book for fear it would be the same.

It sucks. Only quite recently was I able to overcome the block. These were the steps that worked for me:

1. I identify what it is that I most look for in books. For myself, it's voice. Whether it's MG, YA, or adult, no matter the genre, it's the voice that grabs me. So when I flip through books, I know what I'm looking for.

2. Amazon's "Look Inside" feature is a life saver. Be supremely ruthless when you read the excerpt. If the excerpt doesn't grab me, I don't buy the book, no matter how hyped or well-reviewed it is.

3. I give myself permission to not finish books. I have a stack of books I read to about 25% because slogging through something I'm not enjoying is just not worth my time.

4. I did this. I pasted it on the wall and each time I finish a book, I write its title down on the "bookshelf". It seems silly, but it's actually working really, really well. I've read five books so far this year, and I always look forward to finishing a book so I can add to my little "bookshelf".
Great advice! I really love your bookshelf, PuttPutt.

I had a reader block that lasted months, after reading too many duds in a row. I thought I'd lost the joy of reading. Then a colleague recommended a book to me; I went in without hope, but in fact, I loved it. So I was lucky. I lost hope again after realising I only loved old stuff, but this, too, has changed -- I'm just a bit more careful with what I choose to read.

What I'm looking for: basically, Treasure Island-like adventures, and stuff that makes me think about human nature while still being entertaining (eg. anything by E.M. Forster, I dig his books, and for more recent authors, Neil Gaimann, frex). And sometimes stuff that's a bit more along the lines of a read-and-forget-it, in which case -- I wouldn't say I lower my expectations, because that's not it at all (I'm still hard to please), but... it's more a *shift* of expectations: is it quick to read? Does it make me laugh, is there a cool plot twist, etc.? Is the ending successful? And if the writing is insightful on top of that, it's cherry-on-top, but I understand that's what it is: a bonus.

I've also started a reading journal, and that's a huge help. I copy passages that I like, surprising sentences, funny ones, things that didn't quite work for me, things that are clever, or even pet peeves of mine ("he nodded his head" and "she shrugged her shoulders" (as opposed to her knees?) being the main culprits). Writing down my pet peeves allows me to keep reading, otherwise it'd eat me alive and I'd give up!

I enjoy re-reading my notes. It's a nice way to keep track of what I've read.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Echoing Raindrop - many thanks puttputt :)

I write reviews... tha'ts sort of like a journal, maybe? >.> Under a different name, since everyone seems to be really down on writers reviewing books. I mean, I can't see that it matters since I'm not published, but I might self pub someday, so :p it may matter then!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you just need to let go a bit and not be so picky. Don't let every error bother you, just go for the overall vibe of the book. I love the amazon look feature and on my e-reader I can sample a book for free, but I also belong to kindle unlimited so I've had many books downloaded read one page and tossed it. But....if the author grabs me and I like the character then I will give the author a tonne of leeway to keep me reading. For instance, a popular author I bought one of her books because I liked the opening chapter, the guy was someone I could vividly imagine in my head, I didn't care that the novel opened with a dream sequence and then him waking up, I didn't care that there was the evil ex-girlfriend who ruined him(how cliche is that) and that the woman was bossed around by her father etc etc...I could go on and on about all the rules the author broke and how predictable the book was....but I was willing to forgive all of that and PAY for the book because I liked him the male lead. I think sometimes us writers get way to hung up on rules. Telling an author how they can start a novel is ridiculous and then saying you can't do this or that, it does ruin the fun of writing and the fun in reading. Some people would toss that book I liked because he was in a dream.

Maybe what you could do is re-read your favorite book. Or go to the library and just peruse the shelves and randomly pick out a book....I love doing that! Although my e-reader has stopped me from going to the library as often. Don't look at reading as work, I tell my kids reading is an escape, it's a way for me to leave my reality and go somewhere else.

So my advice....loosen up :)

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Maybe you just need to let go a bit and not be so picky. Don't let every error bother you, just go for the overall vibe of the book. I love the amazon look feature and on my e-reader I can sample a book for free, but I also belong to kindle unlimited so I've had many books downloaded read one page and tossed it. But....if the author grabs me and I like the character then I will give the author a tonne of leeway to keep me reading. For instance, a popular author I bought one of her books because I liked the opening chapter, the guy was someone I could vividly imagine in my head, I didn't care that the novel opened with a dream sequence and then him waking up, I didn't care that there was the evil ex-girlfriend who ruined him(how cliche is that) and that the woman was bossed around by her father etc etc...I could go on and on about all the rules the author broke and how predictable the book was....but I was willing to forgive all of that and PAY for the book because I liked him the male lead. I think sometimes us writers get way to hung up on rules. Telling an author how they can start a novel is ridiculous and then saying you can't do this or that, it does ruin the fun of writing and the fun in reading. Some people would toss that book I liked because he was in a dream.

Maybe what you could do is re-read your favorite book. Or go to the library and just peruse the shelves and randomly pick out a book....I love doing that! Although my e-reader has stopped me from going to the library as often. Don't look at reading as work, I tell my kids reading is an escape, it's a way for me to leave my reality and go somewhere else.

So my advice....loosen up :)

Except it's not a matter of "loosening up" and "not being so picky"--it is the fact that how you read and view story can fundamentally change once you become a serious writer. Think of looking at one of those hidden pictures illustrations--once you see the lantern and the donkey and the bird hidden inside the picture, you can't unsee them. So yeah, for me (I can't speak for the original poster) I can't "loosen up" when I read poor writing. It ruins the experience, even if the story is engaging. A lot of what I read these days ends up in the "Did Not Finish" pile. It just seems to be an occupational hazard of being a writer. On the other hand, when I do find a really good book with terrific writing and engaging storytelling, I think I enjoy it even more because I can appreciate the author's skill.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I think it's probably me, rather than any books particularly.

On a sentence level, clunky writing I don't mind mostly. I will read pulpier stuff, something like Gemmell or Sanderson. Bad ideas are maybe a harder sell but not everything has to quest for universal answers.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yuhhh I wouldn't lower my standards for the sake of being able to read more books. I remain pretty ruthless and unforgiving when it comes to books that don't grab me. (Also, reading books I don't find excellent enrages me. :D I slog through them with teeth gritted and bitch about them to anyone who'd listen. Pretty sure they're gonna give me ulcers.)

I hope you find some way to overcome the block, Harlequin.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except it's not a matter of "loosening up" and "not being so picky"--it is the fact that how you read and view story can fundamentally change once you become a serious writer. Think of looking at one of those hidden pictures illustrations--once you see the lantern and the donkey and the bird hidden inside the picture, you can't unsee them. So yeah, for me (I can't speak for the original poster) I can't "loosen up" when I read poor writing. It ruins the experience, even if the story is engaging. A lot of what I read these days ends up in the "Did Not Finish" pile. It just seems to be an occupational hazard of being a writer. On the other hand, when I do find a really good book with terrific writing and engaging storytelling, I think I enjoy it even more because I can appreciate the author's skill.
But that's my point, if the story is engaging and you like it and are drawn to the characters then writers who are reading the story need to "loosen" up. I think writers almost ruin reading by seeking perfection....and nothing is perfect, even the great authors and best sellers have errors and mistakes.

I stand by my advice that if you aren't enjoying reading because you're picking apart a book then you should loosen up a little and let it be. Nothing is perfect. Toss the books that don't intrigue you and you find boring or can't stand the writing, but do your best to let go of those little things. I get it, I've had a few books almost ruined by one stupid error that the author could have prevented by doing a simple google search and it almost had me tossing the book 1/2 way through, but up till that point I was really enjoying it....so I had to let it go and get over it.

I did notice after I started writing more seriously that reading was become less of a joy because I was picking apart the book. Now I do my best to not do that. You might need to make a conscious effort to let go a bit and revert back to reading for pure enjoyment.

I don't think you need to change what you like to read, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to branch out and try something new. When it comes to excellence in writing to me that is very personal. Writing is an art, like music or painting etc. What I deem to be a great piece of art you may hate. If I read everything with a critical eye I too would lose interest in reading, it would become onerous.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
But that's my point, if the story is engaging and you like it and are drawn to the characters then writers who are reading the story need to "loosen" up. I think writers almost ruin reading by seeking perfection....and nothing is perfect, even the great authors and best sellers have errors and mistakes.
I wasn't seeking perfection. But for a while, I struggled to find any story that was engaging or characters I could relate to. It had nothing to do with perfect writing; mostly a string of bad luck. I'm glad that I then found enough books that I loved, and in various genres too, because I was getting tired of wasting my time with books I didn't enjoy. But yeah, for a while after that I was really wary of trying out new authors.

I'm more aware of what I don't like now -- so it makes it easier to choose. I'm also more willing to try out new stuff (and found some great authors that way), as long as I have "comfort food" on my bookshelves that I can fall back on if the unknown book doesn't work for me.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I think part of it could be time crunch.

I have this with leisure activities. Doing anything or going anywhere without kids requires monumental effort (family to drive for hours so they can offer childcare; meticulous planning; spending money etc) so therefore you end up doing nothing because nothing is worth the effort. It has to be special, and nothing is special enough.

I don't have a huge amount of time to read, especially if trying to make time to write, so there's this sense that the book has to Earn Its Place and I guess none of them do. Also, money; I typically need to read a book for every 1-2 chapters written but you don't want to read too many duds or you need more and and and... etc. The standards for an acceptable book (worthy of the time, worthy of the money, well written enough to be interesting but not so well written they make me despair of writing ;p) mount up and, I suppose, nothing is making the cut.

I'll give it some thought >.> Not a sustainable position.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So for the past two years I've found myself getting more and more trepidatious about starting new books. I've always been cautious to 'commit', especially series, because I REALLY get into novels I love, sometimes to the point of obsession; ther'es always that fear you'll love the first one but not the later ones. However, in the past two years it's been getting a lot worse.

I beta read more than I real-read now, because there is no pressure to enjoy something if beta'ing; and although I have list as long as a house of books I'd love to dig into I'm unwilling to actually try any. The anxiety of disappointment is stupidly strong--and it IS stupid. To the point of almost phobia >.> But I just hate starting a book or series and being let down. It's like psyching yourself up for a date who's a no-show. And I'm so goddamn picky/snobbish.

Anyone else ever get like this? (You can all say no, it's quite alright :p)

Yes...well, sort of. I definitely have trouble reading -- I'm not sure if for the same reasons -- but there is this Commitment issue. I feel I have more "productive" things I should be doing (I'm aware that this is bullshit, reading is perfectly salubrious and productive for the soul, I just have Irrational Feels that are stronger than Logic). If I'm not doing productive stuff I want to be "resting" by doing mindless short-term distraction things, and a book feels like...well, if it's a really good book I know I'll be all anxious and emotional and not-sleeping and not-doing-anything-else till it's done (or if it's nonfic then it'll maybe grab me in a more intellectual way...whichever)...it's not short term or mindless, let's say. It also takes several hours. It is a commitment, in my head, which makes it A Big Damn Deal, which makes it a Whole Thing, and therefore really difficult to approach...and this has been going on long enough it's now got psychological fangs :p

I can beta read, because it's for someone else. :)

Something I've had a modicum of success with is audiobooks. I've only listened to nonfiction with this, cos I like a particular sort of narration with it and fiction can be too...emotionally engaging, sometimes...but I can listen to it while I do a mindless thing, or I can listen to it with the lights off if my eyes are too tired to function but I'm still awake, or I can listen while on some kind of public transport (which I can't do with books usually, it makes me motion-sick) or while driving in the car...dead headspace that I can't or won't fill with a physical book for some reason or another can get filled by an audiobook, is what I mean.

Course, that doesn't work all the time, and it likely doesn't help for everyone, and it doesn't do much for the pile of unread books on my shelf... ;) So, it's not exactly a Solution. But for me it helps, a little. :)

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't seeking perfection. But for a while, I struggled to find any story that was engaging or characters I could relate to. It had nothing to do with perfect writing; mostly a string of bad luck. I'm glad that I then found enough books that I loved, and in various genres too, because I was getting tired of wasting my time with books I didn't enjoy. But yeah, for a while after that I was really wary of trying out new authors.

I'm more aware of what I don't like now -- so it makes it easier to choose. I'm also more willing to try out new stuff (and found some great authors that way), as long as I have "comfort food" on my bookshelves that I can fall back on if the unknown book doesn't work for me.
Me too, for awhile I struggled to find stories that kept me hooked and then I happened upon a few new authors(new to me) and was relieved and found my love of reading again, but I get the dry spell, it can be a real drag.

I think part of it could be time crunch.

I have this with leisure activities. Doing anything or going anywhere without kids requires monumental effort (family to drive for hours so they can offer childcare; meticulous planning; spending money etc) so therefore you end up doing nothing because nothing is worth the effort. It has to be special, and nothing is special enough.

I don't have a huge amount of time to read, especially if trying to make time to write, so there's this sense that the book has to Earn Its Place and I guess none of them do. Also, money; I typically need to read a book for every 1-2 chapters written but you don't want to read too many duds or you need more and and and... etc. The standards for an acceptable book (worthy of the time, worthy of the money, well written enough to be interesting but not so well written they make me despair of writing ;p) mount up and, I suppose, nothing is making the cut.

I'll give it some thought >.> Not a sustainable position.
I understand the time issue, for me when I'm into a really great book I'm sucked in and I'm incredibly cranky to be around because I want to be left alone to read....which isn't feasible when you have kids. Why do kids need to eat supper every night? Anyways, as for the money issue I fell in love with the library so the books were free. But then I got an e-reader and I'm hooked. I'll read while I make supper, if something needs to simmer for 20 minutes then I sit at the table and read. I'm loving the kindle unlimited program, it allows me 10 books in my browser at any time so if it's a dud I just swap it out for something else. If the books isn't part of the KU then I will get a sample for free and if I'm yanked in then I'll buy the book. I have fallen in love with short stories! Fast paced quick reads, yep I'm really loving those, but nothing can replace a well written novel and out of the hundreds of writings I've read this year maybe 10% I would consider great reads. But it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the other 90%.

I wish you the best and hope you can find an author who brings you joy and captures you....there's something so wonderful about discovering a new author that moves you.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
heh, I didn't choose; I'm in awe of people who can! I don't think I could write anything else.

I know what you mean. I didn't choose either. I have always loved a good mystery or a good thriller. When we lost Michael Crichton, we lost one of my favorite writers. But I write historical fiction. Research is a bit addicting for me. Perhaps it's the mystery involved in learning about an age I'm unfamiliar with. Like now. I'm writing a novel set in ancient Babylon - fascinating period.

Status
Not open for further replies.