Editorial Business Blog OK to Ask for Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

In addition to being a writer, I'm a professional developmental editor. I've had a business since 1995. Between 1995 and 2007 I usually had a constant stream of work from higher education publishers via word of mouth. Things slacked off after that, probably because of the double-whammy of the financial crisis and subsequent recession and the digital disruption, which is still on going.

This all worked out OK because I needed to support my kids through some very, very challenging years and times.

But now, they are off to college, and I have a lot of life to live and work to do. I enjoy developmental editing. So while I'm learning to be a writer, it's a good thing to do to pay the bills. Except...

So, to revitalize my business I have been trying to bring forth a website. I've got a lot of it put together. But a critical element is the services page. I managed to hack out some words for that and would love to have some feedback from people.

Can I just post the copy here and get feedback? Should I post it in Show Your Work, somewhere, so it's PW protected? Should I post it on my website and put the link here?

Thanks in advance,
Marilyn

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
OK. Lots of people are looking at this, but no one has answered my question(s). So I'm just going to post the copy here for comment. I'm sure the AW Admin will delete if it's completely inappropriate.

I do want to be very clear: I'm not advertising these services. I am looking for feedback on website copy.
========================================
Services

Developmental editing

* Big-picture envisioning of project: A memorandum that captures what the author is trying to accomplish in the book or with the book, who the author is writing for in addition to herself or himself, and how the book fits into its target market, blending the author's, the target reader's, and the (prospective) publishing company's perspectives into a coherent story of the book.

* Competitive analysis: Tables and visual tools that identify how a book plan fits its target market and a memorandum that summarizes relevant information, presents an assessment of the book plan’s strengths and weaknesses, and offers recommendations about how to capitalize on the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

* Hands-on, detailed querying and line editing or rewriting as needed or requested, informed by multiple points of view from big-picture planning documents and including a memorandum expressing revision plans.

Project management

* Identifying and describing key elements of work that needs to be done to bring a book to market
* Hiring and managing freelance editorial professionals to execute various elements of a book project as needed
* Creating a schedule of work and keeping personnel working toward that schedule

Ghostwriting

* Collecting an author’s or subject matter expert’s thoughts through written materials and interviews, organizing and structuring the material so it flows through a useful narrative arc, and producing a written document that captures the ideas and thoughts in the author’s voice.
* Books
* Articles
* Whitepapers

Status
Not open for further replies.