Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
[h=1]
Prize Launched for Thrillers That Don't Involve Violence Against Women
[/h]
Founded by the author and screenwriter Bridget Lawless, the Staunch book prize will open to entries next month, with the winner to be announced on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Lawless, who is funding the £2,000 prize pot herself, will be joined on the judging panel by the actor and writer Doon Mackichan, who wrote and presented a BBC Radio 4 documentary about the increase of violence against women on television, Body Count Rising.

I am not familiar with Lawless, so I don't know how viable this is.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You have to read the whole thing in detail to have some understanding of what's expected. She wants a thriller with an emporered female lead that isn't threathened as defined in a very narrow domain - no violence (sexual or otherwise), no abuse, no stalking. Lawless gives examples of thrillers.

So… Dark, psychological, philosophical, crime, mystery, political, historical, religious, even comedy, whatever type of thriller – if it fits our criteria, we want to read it.
I'm not sure about a 'comedy thriller' or a 'philosophical thriller' (if you have titles in mind, please post them). So the threat of physical death, which is usually the apex of all threats as we know it, must be redefined in other ways.

As writers we have other, less obvious options:

Threat of emotional death - losing love or respect from a close relative (ex: Leslie Lehr - What A Mother Knows)
Threat of economic death - losing a fortune, the family company (ex: Largo Winch)
Threat of social death - losing status, a career, being framed. (ex: Michael Crichton - A Case Of Need)
Threat of psychological death - losing one's mind, fall into eternal sorrow, revenge. (ex: Josin McQueln - Premeditated)

If you can mix two or more, you are golden.

-cb

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Bit late to the party, but it seems like their out to make money. 20 pounds admission fee, 2000 pound prize. There have no criteria for how the winner is selected and won't tell you afterwards. Even though my novel fits perfectly, I can think of better things to spend my money on.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bit late to the party, but it seems like their out to make money. 20 pounds admission fee, 2000 pound prize. There have no criteria for how the winner is selected and won't tell you afterwards. Even though my novel fits perfectly, I can think of better things to spend my money on.

+1

I don't hold with paying to enter a competition. Money should flow towards the writer... etc. :)