• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Craig Wiley Agency

Scribbley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about The Craig Wiley Agency as they've approached me for a full MS.

Also they're an American agency and I'm in the UK. So what are the pitfalls there?

I'm a debut author, so still a little wet behind the ears. Any help is appreciated. :)

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on him on the internet. Here's his website: The Craig Wiley Agency

It's strange to me that there's no mention of him on QueryTracker. Also, he mentions having a lot of publishing experience, but isn't specific about it. He worked for a "prestigious agency in California" but doesn't name it. And also "worked in the legal department of another successful agency" that also goes unnamed.

Scribbley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, do you know if there are any major downsides to being represented by an agent in another country?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, do you know if there are any major downsides to being represented by an agent in another country?

Time zones can be an annoyance, even within the same country if you've got an agent who lives on the opposite coast. It can get worse with an agent in another country.

The big thing, however, is the difference between domestic vs. international sales. Your domestic sales will be in your agent's country of residence. If you're in the UK and your agent is in the US, then your domestic sales will be in the US. This means your agent will earn the 15% domestic commission on them, rather than the 20% international commission. Since the US market is actually larger, this can work in your favor.

Check into the differences in how taxes are handled, too.

Also be aware that a US "query" is different than the letter used in the UK. It's shorter, and doesn't usually include the standard 3 chapter sample. Instead, you've got about 350 words to hook the agent on your plot and characters and then you can maybe send them 5-10 pages in the email's body, if their agency allows it.

You really want to pop down to "Query Letter Hell" here on the forum and read through some queries that are being workshopped in there. It's in the "Share Your Work" area, which requires a password: "vista" for access. You can go ahead and read or comment on what's posted there, but you can't make your own thread until you've got 50 posts.

Scribbley

Registered
Reaction score
Time zones can be an annoyance, even within the same country if you've got an agent who lives on the opposite coast. It can get worse with an agent in another country.

The big thing, however, is the difference between domestic vs. international sales. Your domestic sales will be in your agent's country of residence. If you're in the UK and your agent is in the US, then your domestic sales will be in the US. This means your agent will earn the 15% domestic commission on them, rather than the 20% international commission. Since the US market is actually larger, this can work in your favor.

Check into the differences in how taxes are handled, too.

Also be aware that a US "query" is different than the letter used in the UK. It's shorter, and doesn't usually include the standard 3 chapter sample. Instead, you've got about 350 words to hook the agent on your plot and characters and then you can maybe send them 5-10 pages in the email's body, if their agency allows it.

You really want to pop down to "Query Letter Hell" here on the forum and read through some queries that are being workshopped in there. It's in the "Share Your Work" area, which requires a password: "vista" for access. You can go ahead and read or comment on what's posted there, but you can't make your own thread until you've got 50 posts.

Very interesting, thank you Cyia, particularly what you say about taxes.

As for the length of my query, they've already requested my full ms.

Thanks a bundle :)