Myths and Monsters on Netflix- Fantasy Inspiration

LLTisdel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
illumismart.blogspot.com
If you haven't seen this fantastic documentary, check it out. It is a great watch for fantasy/sci-fi writing inspiration. It explores our connections to famous ancient stories and tropes and provides a variety of tidbits of famous stories (fairytales, folktales, ballads, myths). Mentioned stories include The Iliad, Odyssey, Robin Hood, Tristan and Isolde, Ivan and Koschei the Deathless, Greek Myth, The Krakken, Vikings and Valkyries, and more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7531644/

The series is separated into six themes that are all-too-familiar and important when considering fantasy writing:

1. Heroes
2. The Wilderness/Unknown
3. War
4. Love/Betrayal
5. Change/Rebellion
6. Life/Death

I loved learning about the evolution of Robin Hood and discovering more legends and tales to study.

Anyhow, if you are fantasy enthusiast with writer's block, check it out. It helped me reexamine some themes in my own fantasy story and inspired new ideas and concepts.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I've started dipping into this and it's very well done. A little lacking in depth of specifics for my tastes (but no way they could do that justice in the running time) but that's made up for with the style and art of it.

Farhad

Registered
Reaction score
Just added it to my watch list, thanks! I plan to incorporate some obscure mythological creatures into my books, so this should help

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth, from 1988, is streaming on Netflix.

I just started watching, and the first couple of episodes are very good.