Communicating with my agent

jobryan

Registered
Reaction score
I have an agent who is not a "power" agent with a list of big deals but who IS responsive and helpful. He is representing me for two books, as of about 1 year ago.

Two questions. First, how long should I give him to land a deal for at least one of the books? I'm fully aware that this is not an exact science, but is there any kind of normal range, assuming a good book and a competent agent? When does it become a suspiciously long time? (I feel like we're not there yet, but it has crossed my mind.)

Second, I'd love a tactful way to indicate that I'm feeling a little impatient. I don't want to be a nuisance, and I like my agent, but I want him to know I am paying at least some attention to the amount of time that has passed. What kinds of things should I say, or what questions should I ask?
Thanks much.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have an agent who is not a "power" agent with a list of big deals but who IS responsive and helpful. He is representing me for two books, as of about 1 year ago.

Two questions. First, how long should I give him to land a deal for at least one of the books? I'm fully aware that this is not an exact science, but is there any kind of normal range, assuming a good book and a competent agent? When does it become a suspiciously long time? (I feel like we're not there yet, but it has crossed my mind.)

I don't know how long you've been on sub, but AFAIK anything from days to well over a year is normal.

But really, I want to address this:

Second, I'd love a tactful way to indicate that I'm feeling a little impatient. I don't want to be a nuisance, and I like my agent, but I want him to know I am paying at least some attention to the amount of time that has passed. What kinds of things should I say, or what questions should I ask?

He works for you. If you ask him the question in a professional manner, you should expect a professional response. Something like "I don't have a good sense of how long this is supposed to take, but I'll admit I'm feeling anxious about the lack of updates. Can you give me some idea of what's happening?" should be perfectly fine.

He's working for you. He doesn't get paid until you do. Don't be a jerk, but don't treat him like some sociopathic CEO who's going to fly off the handle and dump you if you ask him a perfectly reasonable question.

If you've ever been out there in Corporate World, as the question just as you'd ask it of a colleague. Assume your agent knows what he's doing, and your interests are aligned.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1. It really depends on the agent, the book, the market trend, and the editors' TBR pile. If your agent has a good relationship with the editors he's subbing to, then you should get at least a few responses within 2 months, although apparently it's becoming more and more common for editors to not reply to agents.

2. Have you conveyed to your agent how much communication you want during the submissions process? Some writers don't wanna know anything. I've told my agent to forward me any rejection, no matter how harsh, as soon as he gets them, which he does. The rejections should give you an idea of what's going on with your books.

So for example, I know based on my rejections that the problem does not lie with my agent, because the editors are mostly very friendly and enthusiastic in their responses, so I know he's got the right connections. The problem lies with my MSs. Maybe they've got bad timing (the editor has bought a similar project not long ago), or I need to brush up on my writing, and so on and so forth.

Thanks much.

I agree with what lizmonster said about sending him a polite but candid e-mail. I think it's reasonable to send a nudge if it's been months and you still haven't received an update.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not agented, but whenever I'm concerned when I haven't heard from someone, I send them an email saying I haven't heard and I'm wondering if any emails are wandering around in cyberspace. Once in awhile that's exactly the problem. Usually, it's just a polite way of saying you're worried without putting any onus on the person you're speaking to.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal