FebNoWriMo 2018 - Nipping, Dripping, Chill

Status
Not open for further replies.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, a comic writer! Hello Dreamsage, and welcome! *waves*
I am so jeal... ahem, impressed by people who have enough talent to both draw and write! Very very impressed! :D

It'd make an adequate start for a movie about a virus apocalypse :tongue
I knew it, as soon as I decide to write, an apocalypse hits! Oh well, I'll just stay put, wait for the main wave of the virus to pass... maybe it's the chance to get productive with my writing? (Apparently not, as I'm still procrastinating here, hehe) ;)

I'm sick. Is everyone else sick? Well I'm sick.
Wishing a prompt recovery to all those who are sick! Also, it looks like you have taken good advantage of your time under the weather, well done!

@mrsmig: your book was out this week, and the book signing too, right? I hope it all went well!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing a prompt recovery to all those who are sick! Also, it looks like you have taken good advantage of your time under the weather, well done!

Nope, the Xbox just got turned on when I was gonna use the day to start revisions. :p

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, a comic writer! Hello Dreamsage, and welcome! *waves*
I am so jeal... ahem, impressed by people who have enough talent to both draw and write! Very very impressed! :D

I knew it, as soon as I decide to write, an apocalypse hits! Oh well, I'll just stay put, wait for the main wave of the virus to pass... maybe it's the chance to get productive with my writing? (Apparently not, as I'm still procrastinating here, hehe) ;)

@mrsmig: your book was out this week, and the book signing too, right? I hope it all went well!

Art talent, check. Writing talent? Let's say I passed the "shower your readers with drama" stage just two days ago :tongue

Write, write like crazy! Is there ever a better time than apocalypse to write? What else are you going to do, either while locked for weeks in your safe basement, or while hiding in the boring, endless wastelands? (Made a silly sketch about it 10yrs ago :tongue) Tortured times are always inspiring!
@mrsmig Really??? Congratulations!!! :hooray:

Nope, the Xbox just got turned on when I was gonna use the day to start revisions. :p
Videogames can be pretty inspiring. And happiness is good for health!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, to both. They went fine. For some reason the bookstore only ordered 10-12 copies of the new book, and promptly sold out of them as well as any copies of Books 1 and 2 they'd stocked. Fortunately I had some additional copies of the new one in my car, enough to supply the demand. Ridiculous.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there are only four days left in the month.

Getting an extension on the Sekrit Solstice story was a relief. The thing's been a major worry for me simply because the last couple of weeks have been so difficult, what with travel, looking after a sick husband, being sick myself, the release of STONEKING, the book signing and all - plus this is also audition season, and I've had two in the last seven days. Both surprised me a bit. The first one was for a musical I've done twice before, so I thought it would be an easy callback although I didn't expect to be cast - but I didn't even get the callback. The second, which was yesterday, was for a Shakespeare piece - something that's not really in my wheelhouse - so I figured it would be an exercise in futility. However, this one I did get called back for (the callback is tomorrow afternoon), so now I have to prep for that audition, incorporating the notes the director's assistant gave me yesterday.

One side benefit of yesterday's audition was that I decided not to drive - I took the subway and walked half a mile to the studio each way - so I actually got in my 30 minutes of exercise for the week. And that walking wasn't particularly easy; partially because of my shoes but mostly because I've been so sedentary for the past few months. When I finish posting this I'm going to put on some reasonable shoes and go out again. As far as the weight situation, I'm still pretty much where I was at the start of the month. Hoping for some progress on that front these final days of February.

I completed my reading goal - finished a silly little book called THE ENCHANTED TYPEWRITER - but got no writing accomplished beyond one more blog for STONEKING's virtual book tour. I reallyreally hate writing those things. I don't really have anything scheduled for March so if I can just shake this cold and get some energy back, maybe I can buckle down on the writing.

[ ] 1. Reach 20k words on Book 5 - currently at 11,038
[x] 2. Read three books - 3 of 3
[x] 3. Write blogs for virtual book tour (starting mid-February) with release of Book #3 in series
[x] 4. Write blog about love for publisher's website
[x] 5. Start "tease" campaign for release of Book #3 - 10 of 10
[ ] 6. Exercise (any kind) 30 minutes each week - 1 of 5
[ ] 7. Lose five pounds before the end of the month - 0 of 5
[ ] 8. Write Sekrit Solstice story
[x] 9. Prep for book signing 2/21/18
[x] 10. Finish blog series about War Paint (probably 2 more blogs) - 2 of 2

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a week and a half and unfortunately nothing about this statement has changed:

I have made basically no progress with Stalking Darkness, the second Lynn Flewelling book, which is a bit sad.

I did stop and randomly read Heidi, which is always shorter than I expect (as a child, we had it as one of those double books, where you flip it over for a different story, so it felt thick). I suspect I will not get my reading goal this month.

I started writing the old WIP again, and that'll be finished soon too. Probably not this month since my last couple of days will be editing focused, but next month for sure. It's... even messier for a first draft than usual, but that's okay.

I just need to type up the final edits for one of the chapters so I'm counting that as done (since I'm doing it as soon as I get off AW). The second one is the final chapter of the book and quite short so I'm optimistic I'll finish it too. With the extension to Secret Solstice, I put that aside to settle while I worked on the chapters for a bit. Hopefully will finish it still but I'm not worried about rushing it.

Did a little bit of transcribing, enough for me to consider that goal complete.

Today is my birthday and so probably lots of games and relaxing today rather than intensive editing. (I got some rejections! But they were expected so meh)

1. Read five books. 2/5
2. Continue transcription. A couple of pieces complete.
3. Edit/Finish Secret Solstice story. Not yet.
4. Finish NaNo novel. Done!
5. Continue game planning. Progress.
6. Edit two chapters. 1/2
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week). Yes.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Tamlyn! :Cake::partyguy:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Yes, to both. They went fine. For some reason the bookstore only ordered 10-12 copies of the new book, and promptly sold out of them as well as any copies of Books 1 and 2 they'd stocked. Fortunately I had some additional copies of the new one in my car, enough to supply the demand. Ridiculous.

Congratulations! I'm glad you had the extra on hand :)

Today is my birthday

Happy birthday! :partyguy:

And now to leave the fun stuff and check-in for the last time before the end of the month :tongue

I actually had a bit of progress this week, which feels good.

[X] Sort the give-away pile.
[ ] Give away the give-away pile.
[-] Read You Haven't Changed a Bit for the AW Reading Challenge
[X] Read The Handmaid's Tale for book club.
[X] Edit every day: Week 5 (February portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 6
[X] Edit every day: Week 7
[X] Edit every day: Week 8
[ ] Edit every day: Week 9 (February portion)

I did much better working reading into my schedule last week, so I managed to finish The Handmaid's Tale. If I keep it up, I'll probably also finish You Haven't Changed a Bit, which I'd started expecting to carry-over to next month.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Spontaneously wrote a poem first thing in the morning, so that's another goal down. Caught up on the drawing exercises. I have the next three days off (yessssss) so I'm hoping to sneak in a collage tomorrow before the end of the month. Interviewing with a recruiter today, though that never gets me anything. Fielded another three job rejections. Onward...

[_] Continue searching for a job full-time work.
[_] Write one Le Guin exercise. 0/1
[X] Write one poem. 1/1 - DONE!
[X] Write one short-story for BFS. 1/1 - unfinished at 1,900 words, but I'm counting it
[_] Make one collage. 0/1
[X] Draw one pencil sketch a week. 4/4 - DONE!
[X] Read a book for the AW Reading Challenge. - DONE!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday, Tamlyn!

February has not been a doing month for me. :( Hopefully March will be better.

[x] Tidy up garden and prune hibiscus (carried over from January)
[x] Finish sisyfus story
[ ] Make a start on historical fantasy story
[ ] Read two books 0/2
[ ] Finish knitted blanket (weather permitting) - I've managed a couple of inches on this since we had a bit of a cooler spell, but it's still not done.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Man, what a month. It felt like it just disappeared. I had to race to finish a game last night, but I managed it. XD

February goals:
[X] Read 2 books (2/2)
[X] Finish 1 game on active list
[X] Stream at least once a week (4/4) (Stream #4 tonight)

[ ] Write 2 blog posts (0/2)
[X] Complete 75% of mystery project (75% done)
[ ] Edit first 1/4 of Queen of Bones
[X] Edit Sisyphus
[ ] Use each kitchen appliance once (Breadmaker, Instant Pot, Rice Cooker)

I sat down and looked at my blog and just wasn't feeling it. I don't have anything to say right now. Maybe next month. Despite the first month going so well, this month, the mystery project dragged, so even though I hit my goal, I barely did it, and I just did not have time for the edits. Time to roll over to the next month. Maybe March will be better.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yer darn tootin', Maggie Maxwell - it's been a fast month, and a harried one for me as well. Glad it's over.

My goals stand just where they were at the end of last week. I pulled up the WIP last night and stared at it for a while, and finally acknowledged that the reason I can't get any momentum is because I just don't like the way I've started the story. So I've decided that in March, I'm scrapping the whole opener and starting over. It was a very freeing decision and I'm looking forward to a fresh beginning.

I've also resolved to knuckle down on the exercise thing in earnest, which I'm hoping will impact the weight loss goal as well.

I just signed the contract for the fourth book in my series, so I know I'll have to spend some time writing blurbs and stuff for that, and I still have my Sekrit Solstice story to write, but my focus from now on out is to get a good draft of the fifth and final book finished. I've got a fairly clear calendar (read: unemployed) until late April, so I'll have no excuses.

[ ] 1. Reach 20k words on Book 5 - currently at 11,038
[x] 2. Read three books - 3 of 3
[x] 3. Write blogs for virtual book tour (starting mid-February) with release of Book #3 in series
[x] 4. Write blog about love for publisher's website
[x] 5. Start "tease" campaign for release of Book #3 - 10 of 10
[ ] 6. Exercise (any kind) 30 minutes each week - 1 of 5
[ ] 7. Lose five pounds before the end of the month - 0 of 5
[ ] 8. Write Sekrit Solstice story
[x] 9. Prep for book signing 2/21/18
[x] 10. Finish blog series about War Paint (probably 2 more blogs) - 2 of 2

I'm off to start the March thread, and you NaNo types know what that means: time to start thinking about April Camp!

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Happy (late) birthday! I wish you to rise and be the next Stephen King :partyguy:

mrsmig- whoa, that's a lot of work! Good luck with your fresh start :)

[X] To flesh out the basic characters of my comic. To make them come to life, instead of just being there for the story.
[] To re-write the introductory chapter of the comic.
[] To keep writing regularly - every 3 days at least. (keeping up with this)
[] To upload all of my artwork in Deviantart. (still uploading daily)
[] After the above, make a professional portfolio site.

To be honest, my extras are fully fleshed out, but I may need to explore my protagonist more. He's a charismatic, but insecure and cowardly prince, who has to brave a dangerous trial in order to be king. There he matures, gradually turning from a grumpy anti-hero to a decisive and idealistic warrior. Tale as old as time, so I'm still working on the flavor - but it's good enough to rewrite my intro. Decided to keep his grumpy cat attitude :tongue

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Final update:

[] Get to 50k or better on Oubliette ~16,000 words total, 55k in draft
[] Start tinkering with secret project ~Tomorrow!
[] Start housewalking (exercise)
[] Start on Survivor Rewrite

So I did great on writing and abysmally on the rest. :( Oh well tomorrow's another month!

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I didn't make specific goals other than getting writing and editing done. It really let me go easy on myself this month when Life Interruptus struck again. I did get 7k written in stories, 3k added to notes, some editing, and a practice cover sketched out.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday to Tamlyn and congratulations to all of you who reached at least some of your goals (even if just a small one)!

Here's my last update for February:
[ ] Write one short story per week (1/4) sad I didn't do better here
[x] Write new complete outline for one project Done!
[ ] Begin research for the Big Project not even started
[ ] Finish move and decorate new flat - make it ready to entertain 50% done
[ ] Read at least 5 books (4/5) almost...
[ ] Work out at least twice per week (1/8) *hangs head in shame*

I see you people already have plenty of plans for March... See you on the other side (thread)!

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for bday wishes!

My final update is not that different from my last. I finished the chapter (and thus the book), did a whole lot of game prep, some more transcription. I didn't end up getting back to the Secret Solstice story, but I'm counting it half a win since some edits were done, it was just incorporating beta feedback that wasn't. I kept up my steady daily habits and one dedicated (ish ;p) day. In the end I'm happy with my writing.

Reading on the other hand.... I hang my head in shame.

1. Read five books. 2/5
2. Continue transcription. A decent amount.
3. Edit/Finish Secret Solstice story. Edit, yes, finish, no.
4. Finish NaNo novel. Done!
5. Continue game planning. Yes.
6. Edit two chapters. 2/2
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week). Yes.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Okay, in the end, I did rather well this month, though I did go easy on myself with the goals.

[X] Sort the give-away pile.
[ ] Give away the give-away pile.
[X] Read You Haven't Changed a Bit for the AW Reading Challenge
[X] Read The Handmaid's Tale for book club.
[X] Edit every day: Week 5 (February portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 6
[X] Edit every day: Week 7
[X] Edit every day: Week 8
[X] Edit every day: Week 9 (February portion)

Now on to March!

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Final update (where did February go?):

[
X] Read 2 books
[ ] Write 2 blog posts - 1 down.
[X] Finish Sisyphus story, send to betas, edit.
[ ] Finish editing first 20K of novel - 10K down.

So my editing kind of meant my word count for my novel reduced by 15K - eek! It needed to happen but now I'm having to expand on areas which I'd skimmed over previously. Looks like some re-writing will be in order.

To those who didn't meet all their goals, I'm with you. To those who did :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
[X] To flesh out the basic characters of my comic. To make them come to life, instead of just being there for the story.
[X] To re-write the introductory chapter of the comic.
[] To keep writing regularly - every 3 days at least. (keeping up with this)
[] To upload all of my artwork in Deviantart.
[] Make a professional portfolio site.

At last, I managed to re-write it! :D
I changed the last line a bit - situations change, so I need to make my site now with whatever I have already uploaded.

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Where did everyone go?

[X] To re-write the introductory chapter of the comic.
[X] To keep writing regularly - every 3 days at least.
[] To upload all of my artwork in Deviantart. (I managed over half of it, at least)
[] Make a professional portfolio site.(I've tried several, completed none :( )

I'm really happy with the progress I've made on fleshing out my characters' thoughts and the world itself. I've never made a background as detailed and structured before. Level up!
... But the planning of my professional life is still a mess. I should stop being a disappointment to my parents one of these days.

--------------------------

Ok, updating my goals for the next month:

[] Find an interesting internship
[] If said internship is in my country, also decide on a bachelor thesis
[] Either make a complete professional portfolio, or upload the rest of my art in Deviantart
[] Keep writing regularly - every 4 days at least
[] Create at least one complete piece of artwork till the next month
[] Connect more with the world around me (I'm spending the last months mostly locked up in my room :tongue )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.