Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"On the wind in February
Snowflakes float still,
Half inclined to turn to rain,
Nipping, dripping, chill."

- Christina Georgina Rosetti

Welcome to the February edition of the NaNo goals thread, where we state our plans for the month (writing and otherwise) and cheer each other on!

As usual, I'll start us off. I'm sure these goals will look familiar, as they're holdovers from January. I've tweaked a couple - since thirty minutes of exercise a day was just too much in January, I'm aiming for 30 minutes a week in February, and I'm hoping to read three books instead of five this month. I'm trying to dial back some goals since Book #3 in my series releases on February 20th, so I have a fair amount to do to prepare for that. I've created a bunch of graphics with quotes from the book, and I'll be posting those on social media every other day Feb. 1-20. And of course, I have the never-ending request for promo blogs from my publisher - tedious in the extreme.

[ ] 1. Reach 20k words on Book 5 - currently at 10,772
[ ] 2. Read three books - 0 of 3
[ ] 3. Write ten blogs for virtual book tour (starting mid-February) with release of Book #3 in series - 2 of 10
[ ] 4. Write blog about love for publisher's website
[ ] 5. Start "tease" campaign for release of Book #3 - 0 of 10
[ ] 6. Exercise (any kind) 30 minutes each week - 0 of 5
[ ] 7. Lose five pounds before the end of the month - 0 of 5
[ ] 8. Write Sekrit Solstice story
[ ] 9. Prep for book signing 2/21/18

So what are your goals for the month?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I did... all right in January. Didn't finish the whole list, but I did enough. Shame there's still so much to do!

January goals:
[ ] Read 2 books (0/2)
[ ] Finish 1 game on active list
[ ] Stream at least once a week (0/4)
[ ] Write 2 blog posts (0/2)
[ ] Complete 75% of mystery project (45% done)
[ ] Edit first 1/4 of Queen of Bones
[ ] Use each kitchen appliance once (Breadmaker, Instant Pot, Rice Cooker)

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I'm reluctantly setting aside my novel prep. It makes me sad, but I don't have the mental energy. Instead, I'm going to focus on smaller goals and hope the muse slips a few notes under my door in the meantime. Good luck everyone!

[_] Continue searching for a job. Don't get discouraged.
[_] Write one Le Guin exercise. 0/1
[_] Write one poem. 0/1
[_] Write one short-story for BFS. 0/1
[_] Make one collage. 0/1
[_] Draw one pencil sketch a week. 0/4
[_] Read a book for the AW Reading Challenge.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, this was really helpful in January!

[ ] Finish Sekret Project
[ ] Re-outline my City of the Dead book.
[ ] Maybe start writing it.
[ ] Make a fantasy map.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
And it's February already. Why is it that the years seem to go by faster the older you get?

I'd like to thank mrsmig for running this thing because it's a darn good idea to think about what you want to accomplish in the month - and have a place where you can celebrate your accomplishments.

My February goals

[ ] Tidy up garden and prune hibiscus (carried over from January)
[ ] Finish sisyfus story
[ ] Make a start on historical fantasy story
[ ] Read two books 0/2
[ ] Finish knitted blanket (weather permitting)

And here's a bit of cheerleading for everyone. :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Maggie - when I moved in my sister, one of the things she wanted to buy first was a rice cooker. I was dubious but figured whatever. Love it now. I am perfectly capable of cooking rice myself - but being able to drop it in and forget about it is amazing. So highly recommend the rice cooker at least :p

My goals for February!

1. Read five books. - figure I've got a good flow on the books happening and hopefully can keep it up. I feel mildly guilty for not reading new stuff, but I'm enjoying my trip through older stuff. Rereading Llyn Flewelling's Luck in the Shadows at the moment.
2. Continue transcription. - Hopefully I will get back into real editing this month, but this does need doing and is a good backup for days I'm too tired for real creativity.
3. Edit/Finish Secret Solstice story. - real editing! Should hopefully do this one early so I have time to take advantage of lovely betas.
4. Finish NaNo novel. - I'm at the climax now and probably not long to the end. It's short, but my first drafts - especially NaNos - always run short. I underwrite and forgot about side plots and that sort of thing.
5. Continue game planning. - game return date is now the first weekend of March so have to actually get this done.
6. Edit two chapters. - Want to finally get that draft finished, dangit.
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week).

Uh...

February is the shorter month. Looking at it like that, that's a lot of goals. Welp, will see how I go, I guess! Going to try and reintroduce my dedicated day, where I try and do a minimum of four hours on writing (and/or editing and/or writing related, eg submitting or researching)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Many of mine are hold-overs, too, though I did okay with books in January.

[ ] Sort the give-away pile.
[ ] Give away the give-away pile.
[-] Finish reading Lullabies for Little Criminals for book club.
[ ] Read You Haven't Changed a Bit for the AW Reading Challenge
[ ] Read The Handmaid's Tale for book club.
[ ] Edit every day: Week 5 (February portion)
[ ] Edit every day: Week 6
[ ] Edit every day: Week 7
[ ] Edit every day: Week 8
[ ] Edit every day: Week 9 (February portion)

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to thank mrsmig for running this thing because it's a darn good idea to think about what you want to accomplish in the month - and have a place where you can celebrate your accomplishments.

I second this. Thanks mrsmig. It's really helpful for keeping me somewhat accountable.

Shorter month, yikes:

[ ] Read 2 books
[ ] Write 2 blog posts
[ ] Finish Sisyphus story, send to betas, edit.
[ ] Finish editing first 20K of novel

That will do for me.

Good luck with your goals everyone.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you, Jaymz Connelly (and arikdiver)! It's my pleasure.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Man, how times flies.

I did okay in January — made 2 of 4 goals, so two of these are carried over:

[] Get to 50k or better on Oubliette
[] Start tinkering with secret project
[] Start housewalking (exercise)
[] Start on Survivor Rewrite

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
My goals are mostly editing and writing whatever I can since my health has gotten a lot better. 1455 words added to two stories yesterday was a good start.

Rosanna Banana

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read at least 2 books, write 1 blog post and to work on my writing (other than blog) at least 5 out of 7 days a week (Even if it's for small chunks of time a day).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read at least 2 books, write 1 blog post and to work on my writing (other than blog) at least 5 out of 7 days a week (Even if it's for small chunks of time a day).

Welcome, Rosanna Banana! It's nice to have you with us.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I did pretty well last month. Lets hope I do even better this month!

Here are my writing goals for February.

[ ] Write a short story a week. Total: 0/4 short stories.
[ ] Finish outline for The Sign of The Serpent, and have a discussion about it with my publisher.
[ ] Finish back cover copy for The Sign of The Serpent.
[ ] Write two blog posts on my blog per week. Total: 0/8 posts.
[ ] Rewrite / Revise Allegro Academy #1. Divide this into chapters.
[ ] Schedule all my posts for the month on the Monster House Books blog.
[ ] Write first draft for the second book in the Ghost Slayer series.
[ ] Finish writing reviews for Ind'Tale Magazine. Total: 0/3 reviews.
[ ] Make sufficient progress on my article and submit it to editor.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here we are at the end of the first (partial) week of February! I'm in a hotel room in Kentucky on my way down to visit my mother. I had planned to arrive early and get some writing done but the drive through West Virginia was rough (snow, ice, freezing rain and fog, sometimes all at once, for a solid hour - I was white-knuckling the steering wheel), and now I'm bushed.

I added another blogging goal - I've been writing a series about my experiences working on Broadway's War Paint and I'm not quite done with it. About the only other thing I did was write some on my WIP and finish a book, but progress is progress.

[ ] 1. Reach 20k words on Book 5 - currently at 11,038
[ ] 2. Read three books - 1 of 3
[ ] 3. Write ten blogs for virtual book tour (starting mid-February) with release of Book #3 in series - 2 of 10
[ ] 4. Write blog about love for publisher's website
[ ] 5. Start "tease" campaign for release of Book #3 - 0 of 10
[ ] 6. Exercise (any kind) 30 minutes each week - 0 of 5
[ ] 7. Lose five pounds before the end of the month - 0 of 5
[ ] 8. Write Sekrit Solstice story
[ ] 9. Prep for book signing 2/21/18
[ ] 10. Finish blog series about War Paint (probably 2 more blogs) - 0 of 2

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Man, if I didn't have the editing items, I'd have no progress to report, ever.

[ ] Sort the give-away pile.
[ ] Give away the give-away pile.
[-] Finish reading Lullabies for Little Criminals for book club.
[ ] Read You Haven't Changed a Bit for the AW Reading Challenge
[ ] Read The Handmaid's Tale for book club.
[X] Edit every day: Week 5 (February portion)
[ ] Edit every day: Week 6
[ ] Edit every day: Week 7
[ ] Edit every day: Week 8
[ ] Edit every day: Week 9 (February portion)

It is looking highly unlikely I'll finish Lullabies in time for Book Club on Wednesday :tongue I'm trying to decide if I'm just not interested in the book at the moment or if it's more that I don't like reading on my phone, which is where I've got it.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new! :hi: Do you accept newbies here?

I've been trying to get back into writing, but I'm stuck at writing fragments only and can't get going. It doesn't help that there are a lot of other things happening in my life at the moment and I keep pushing back the time when I will finally begin writing. So I hope that participating in a writing board may help... and it was your monthly threads that finally convinced me to sign up on AW. Will you have me and keep me accountable for my goals? I promise to cheer you on enthusiastically, too! :TheWave:

My writing goals for February:
[ ] Write one short story per week (0/4)
[ ] Write new complete outline for one project
[ ] Begin research for the Big Project
And my non-writing goals:
[ ] Finish move and decorate new flat - make it ready to entertain
[ ] Read at least 5 books (0/5)
[ ] Work out at least twice per week (0/8)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This should be my new mantra.

Welcome to the thread and to AW, white fox! If you haven't done so already, wander over to the New Members forum and introduce yourself. You'll get a proper welcome from a friendly mod and a bunch of links that'll help you navigate this site, which has wonders galore for writers of all stripes and skill levels.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Aw geez, I got so distracted by my novel edits and the mystery that I completely forgot I still had to edit my Sisyphus! Whoops. Added that to the list. Feels like I've done so little. I just have a lot currently in progress.

February goals:
[ ] Read 2 books (1/2)
[ ] Finish 1 game on active list
[ ] Stream at least once a week (0/4)
[ ] Write 2 blog posts (0/2)
[ ] Complete 75% of mystery project (55% done)
[ ] Edit first 1/4 of Queen of Bones
[ ] Edit Sisyphus
[ ] Use each kitchen appliance once (Breadmaker, Instant Pot, Rice Cooker)

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Two more heartbreaking job rejections, including an internship that would have been perfect. Got part-time work at the local grocery store. Spontaneously wrote 1,900 words of a short-story inspired by H.G. Wells's The Invisible Man. Kind of a 'what if' scenario I couldn't resist. Onward...

[_] Continue searching for a job. - part-time job yay
[_] Write one Le Guin exercise. 0/1
[_] Write one poem. 0/1
[_] Write one short-story for BFS. 0/1 - in progress (1,900 words)
[_] Make one collage. 0/1
[_] Draw one pencil sketch a week. 1/4
[X] Read a book for the AW Reading Challenge. - DONE!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for the part-time job, Atalanta! It may not be what you wanted, but at least it's bringing money in until you can snag the job you want to do. :)

I am utterly surprised that I managed to finish my sisyfus story this week. I had to go into the hospital for a day procedure (everything is fine) so I figured the week would be a total write-off due to worry beforehand... and the effects of the anesthetic afterward. Apparently my brain felt otherwise. :)

[x] Tidy up garden and prune hibiscus (carried over from January)
[x] Finish sisyfus story
[ ] Make a start on historical fantasy story
[ ] Read two books 0/2
[ ] Finish knitted blanket (weather permitting)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I am utterly surprised that I managed to finish my sisyfus story this week. I had to go into the hospital for a day procedure (everything is fine) so I figured the week would be a total write-off due to worry beforehand... and the effects of the anesthetic afterward. Apparently my brain felt otherwise. :)

But everything's fine, right? :) The post-anesthetic high did wonders for Phillip K Dick's writing, less beneficial to his personal life and sanity. But you seem to have a harder head then he did, if you suddenly realize you're living in multiple periods of history at once, perhaps call the doctor back.

No progress to report on anything, I've spent every minute of spare time working on my Sekret story, it keeps getting longer and longer but I think I'll be done by tomorrow. This has actually been the most productive month or so of my life, I actually clocked in 3.5k words in one day recently, and, while I'm intensely averse to self-praise, y'know what, I'm pretty proud of myself (Also, my damn brain is about to fall out.)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
But everything's fine, right? :) The post-anesthetic high did wonders for Phillip K Dick's writing, less beneficial to his personal life and sanity. But you seem to have a harder head then he did, if you suddenly realize you're living in multiple periods of history at once, perhaps call the doctor back.

No progress to report on anything, I've spent every minute of spare time working on my Sekret story, it keeps getting longer and longer but I think I'll be done by tomorrow. This has actually been the most productive month or so of my life, I actually clocked in 3.5k words in one day recently, and, while I'm intensely averse to self-praise, y'know what, I'm pretty proud of myself (Also, my damn brain is about to fall out.)

Yep, everything is fine. I didn't have a post anesthetic high so much as post-anesthetic sleepies. *g* I was pretty much a zombie for one day.

Way to go on the words! A 3.5K day is worthy of applause. :Clap: Stick some cotton wool in your ears so your brain doesn't fall out. :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Jaymz - glad you're well. Hope the exhaustion didn't last!

I finished Luck in the Shadows. Started the next one, but not sure if I feel like actually reading it. I'm still in reading mode though, which is nice, even if I've slowed. Seeing my sister constantly with a book in hand is good... inspiration? Whatever you'd call it. It makes me feel like reading :p

Done a little transcription. Not necessarily a bad thing I haven't done much, since it means I've focused on real stuff. I'm about a chapter away from finishing the WIP. Plan do do a whole bunch of editing today (which is going to be my dedicated writing day for the week), and I've gotten myself back into the flow with game stuff.

1. Read five books. 1/5
2. Continue transcription. Not much so far.
3. Edit/Finish Secret Solstice story. Not yet.
4. Finish NaNo novel. So close...
5. Continue game planning. Started.
6. Edit two chapters. 0/2
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week). Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.