Exclusive Revise & Resubmit?!

lamensa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster, long time stalker of these message boards.

I'm a YA writer and was offered an exclusive R&R yesterday by what I would call my Dream Agency. The catch is: I started querying a week ago, and I already have 6 full requests (one from the agency who has now offered the R&R), which is obviously very exciting. I did some searches online to try and see what others do in this situation, and haven't found much information, so hoping you all can help me out. I'm a bit nervous to proceed with the exclusive, given that I'd have to pull my full manuscript from all the other agents, and there's no guarantee that those agents would be interested if Dream Agency passes, post-R&R. HOWEVER... I have absolute confidence that whatever notes I was given for the R&R would only help my manuscript...

BUT - would those agents who I pulled my full from (some of whom are absolutely amazing, and who I would be thrilled to sign with!) give me a second chance, if the manuscript didn't end up landing with Dream Agency?

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations! Second, I've never been offered an exclusive R&R, but I have been offered publication while my full manuscript was also with some other small publishers. If I were in your shoes, I'd handle this as an offer. I'd contact the agents who have your full, let them know you've been offered an exclusive R&R, and invite them to get back to you in 7 to 10 days if they also have interest in the manuscript. Meanwhile, I'd make sure I had all the information I needed from the agent offering an exclusive, so that I could make an educated judgment about whether I could do the revision the agent wants in a way that would satisfy us both.

I will be curious what more experienced authors have to say. Listen to them, not me, if their advice differs... :)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If other agents already have the full, I wouldn't pull it from them as you were under no obligation when you sent it to them. I would say to the agent offering the exclusive R&R that other agents already have the full but that you will not query anyone else during the exclusive period, and will absolutely let them know if an agent who already has the full should make an offer.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did the agent asking for an exclusive R&R specifically request that you pull your MS from other agents who have it?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My interpretation of "exclusive R&R" is that you won't submit the revised version to anyone else until they've seen it and responded.

If it were just an exclusive full, I'd send the manuscript with a note that you can't grant an exclusive because other agents already have the ms. I'd probably do the same thing here, but say that you'd be willing to offer an exclusive on the revised novel for X amount of time after you've completed it.

ETA: Do not pull the other fulls!

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
My reply, above, was based on the thought that an agent might not want to put the time into making detailed notes for, and possibly emailing back and forth with, an author who might then end up signing with another agent who'd received (another version of) the full. But I guess I'm thinking about this wrong.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My reply, above, was based on the thought that an agent might not want to put the time into making detailed notes for, and possibly emailing back and forth with, an author who might then end up signing with another agent who'd received (another version of) the full. But I guess I'm thinking about this wrong.

Sure, but the agent also might not care for the revised deal -- the author would be doing all the work of revising for an agent who might reject anyway -- the author might decide to go another way regardless . Price of doing business. I wouldn't force the others with fulls, but would say to the R&R that it's already been requested X times, but you will refrain from further submissions for Y period.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I think I know what agency this is, because I had a similar experience. And yes, they wanted me to pull the other fulls. As I was pretty far down on my querying and only had one other full out I pulled it.

I did the revisions - exactly to spec - they complimented me on how accurately I'd kept to their notes in their feedback notes... however, they'd wanted me to go even further. I realised later it was a test. In short, they wanted me to bring new ideas to the revision. I think this is quite common with R&Rs - they want to see how well you take their notes and develop the story further. So they rejected the revisions and I didn't get a chance to resubmit. Frankly, revising it further in the direction they hinted at (they clearly had more ideas but had wanted to see if I had them too) would have pushed the ms too far out of what I'd have felt comfortable with. So, although it hurt (and ouch it did!), I consoled myself with the fact that I didn't want to get in to an agent relationship (again!!) with someone who didn't actually get my work.

I wouldn't pull the fulls yet. Or as everyone else said, see if they'll give you their notes without you having to pull the fulls? It could be a different agency, after all. But I think there are very few out there who operate like this anymore. And frankly, I do think it's unfair to hold an author to an exclusive R&R... From what I read afterwards, most R&Rs don't work out. Your call.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
The following is how I would handle a similar situation so grain of salt/YMMV/etc.

If you are confident the suggested changes will result in a better book, then make those revisions. Also, contact the agent in question and explain to them that 1) X number of agents are already looking at the MS, 2) you are willing to make revisions and allow them X number of weeks (2-4) to look at them and you will refrain from further queries in the meantime, 3) your projected timeline for finishing those revisions <insert timeframe here - make certain you know how long it will take you to make said revisions, then add a couple of weeks to be safe>.

Be polite. If they refuse, move on. If they accept, do your revisions and submit. If you don't get an offer at the end of the proposed review period, ping the other agents who have a full and tell them you have made revisions regarding Element D and Character G on the suggestion of agent feedback and ask if they would like to review the updated MS. And start querying with the new MS again.

It's a fine line between realizing you have the product the agent needs to sell and thinking one is the best thing since sliced bread. There's no need to be hurt over a rejection, but also, you are the content provider so you don't have to bend over backward to please an agent.

Best of luck. :)

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, don't pull the fulls! That could end up making a very bad impression on those six other agents, and there's no guarantee that the R&R will pan out. Best of luck with this! If you've got this level of interest so early on, there's a very good chance somebody else might offer rep.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is that if you say that you can't offer exclusivity (on the original) because these other agents have the novel, and the agent is unwilling to work with you because you won't pull the fulls, she might not be an agent you want to work with. Some agents hope for exclusivity, but they should understand that you were querying widely before, because everyone does. If your ms was that interesting to them, probably it'd be interesting to others, so of course you'd already have fulls out. Anyone asking you to reject other agents for a chance that they might like your revision enough to offer (and, yes, too many R&Rs result in rejections) doesn't seem to have your best interests at heart