A manager on the line; fire sleeping agent?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hello everyone, especially dpaterso; it's been many years. Back then, I was trying my hand at writing screenplays but soon decided to stick to novels.
I've now had seven novels published, with two more coming out this year, and they are doing fairly well in the UK.

I no longer want to write a script. But I think a few of the novels would make good movies (I know; every novelist thinks that!) and one in particular has a strong
premise and great commercial appeal, and an excellent role for a youngish A list female actor. So I decided to start querying, and a few people have got back to me asking for more info.
I now have a manager who seems legit and very proactive for his clients wanting to take me and this book on, and presumably the other books as well. I don't want to
name him here but would be willing for you to know via pm.

Anyway, after a bit of back and forth, he said I'd need to terminate my agent. Yes, I do have an agent; one with a big name in New York (Trident). The trouble is this
agent has really done nothing for me. He didn't sell the book he repped and then lost interest, never bothered with other books I suggested to him. The agency did make one foreign
sale and sold one movie option (which has expired) -- many years ago -- but in both cases I was the one who found the publisher/would-be producer. The agent at Trident is friendly enough but he is pretty downbeat about my chances on the US market. And they don't broker film deals without first a print sale.

The manager seems enthusiastic. He's going to be away for afew days so I have time to check him out more thoroughly.

But according to what I have read, a manager can't actually broker deals? This manager has also produced a few films on IMDb and seems to have the right contacts; not a big name,
but very passionate about what he does... that's my impression. I'll be asking him in more detail when he gets back from NY about hs terms and how he sells and won't fire the agent
just yet. Again, I don't like the agency's indifference but they ARE a big fish and I always thought I'd keep them on Just in Case. So letting go is a Big Thing for me, and I won't till
I know exactly what the manager will offer.

I want to tread very carefully here; I tend to be gullible and over-enthusiastic but I've been 15 years in the writing business now and have learned to hold my horses. But I do want
to see this particular book as a movie and I think it would be a winner.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
The film world and the publishing world are two different animals. For a Hollywood lit manager to demand that you cut ties with your publishing agent is out of line. You say that you no longer want to write scripts and are having success as an author, so having a book agent is important. Leaving yourself unrepped on the book side for the extremely long-shot of setting up a film adaptation deal seems very short-sighted. Is this manager offering to help you find a new book agent? You clearly have issues with your current rep - if you haven't done so I suggest talking to him about your concerns. If you think it's time to look for new representation, then do so, but I wouldn't terminate your current agent yet.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see someone saying what I was thinking. I have no expertise in this, which is why I kept my mouth shut, but my gut says it's out of line for a manager to demand you fire your literary agent.

Maybe you should do that anyway, but not for this reason.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks to both of you. What I didn't say is that I don't really need an agent for my novels any longer; I can sell directly to the publisher I'm with and I'm happy to do so, saving myself 15%. I'm getting a new contract for two books for 2018 soon, and then, I think, I'll be finished; I'm 66 and feel like retiring properly now! I would just like those books to keep on working for me, if possible in film.

But I agree that I shouldn't be pressured into firing my agent; it's just bad form.

Anyway today I received a mail from another mangement firm, much bigger and better with movies I've heard of and even watched (a big one with Oscar buzz)... so if there's ever a choice it's a no-brainer. I've already sent them a release form, pdf of the book and a synopsis. Fingers crossed!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are crossed on your behalf! My typing is only a little worse for it.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the chorus (uninformed as I am) that says this seems inappropriate. I don't think it's wise to be agentless, but maybe you could get a new agent?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Add me to the chorus (uninformed as I am) that says this seems inappropriate. I don't think it's wise to be agentless, but maybe you could get a new agent?

Thanks for all the crossed fingers! A new agent would only be possible once I have something new to sell -- like movie rights! Well, I do have those but as we all know, unless one if the books hits the jackpot that's very, very difficult. Which is why I'm trying to get this one book noticed and an offer on the table.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thirding (fourthing?) the suggestion to get a new agent. I've heard quite a few not-so-great things about the agency repping you...so I would strongly suggest finding new representation.