Second Novel in a Series

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
The main character's fate isn't left hanging. The reader knows she will survive, just not the extent of her injuries.

I already know book 2 will have a much more cohesive ending.

I think that sounds okay. It's resolved the major will they/won't they issue and given the reader a reason to want to come back for more.

Just out of curiosity, will this "extent of her injuries" thing have long-lasting repercussions on the MC's life/health? Often, they bounce back to perfect health within weeks, with no negative consequences. Usually it's explained away by Science or Magic, but I'm not sure what your setting is.

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
I think that sounds okay. It's resolved the major will they/won't they issue and given the reader a reason to want to come back for more.

Just out of curiosity, will this "extent of her injuries" thing have long-lasting repercussions on the MC's life/health? Often, they bounce back to perfect health within weeks, with no negative consequences. Usually it's explained away by Science or Magic, but I'm not sure what your setting is.
Paladins in my setting are gifted with greater compacity to heal their wounds, so they recover from injuries in half the time a normal human would. She ends up needing a prostethic arm, however.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Honestly, holding up Star Wars as an example is an exercise in futility. George didn't even write the Star Wars novel - one of the worst-kept secrets in SF-dom is the knowledge that Alan Dean Foster was the ghostwriter for the novels. Luke and Leia were not supposed to be brother and sister until everyone noted how much more chemistry Carrie and Harrison had on screen than Carrie and Mark - hence, the convenient "She's your sister", so there wasn't any "love triangle" between Luke/Leia/Han after the 2nd movie. (And the prequels weren't even a dream until well after the first trilogy - obviously or there wouldn't have been so many continuity flaws between 1-3 and the original 1-3. *sigh*) Marvel went nuts trying to do the comic series because George wouldn't tell them what was going to happen in the upcoming movies, it was "Do what you want but George gets to veto anything for any reason." Lots of story lines got killed at Marvel because they got too close to stuff George did or considered doing in the later movies. The extended universe novels were under George's direct approval (unlike the Star Trek novels, which are most pointedly "not canon" according to Paramount).

Star Wars is actually a great example of watching as story shift over time but the movies and novels did a great job adapting and ensuring plot points changed in a reasonable manner to account for what came before.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You do read a lot about "symmetry" and "mirroring" in stories.

It's a nice bonus but I don't think it's a must. Ender's series has no symmetry at all (unless I'm blind to it).

As long as you make the story good, you'll be sweet ;-)