Status
Not open for further replies.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Keithy: Glad you made some headway on your chapter. "Keep on swimming." One of the best lines from a cute cartoon in a while.

Layla: Yeah, paying them is going to be a new stress that you don't really need right now either. I hope the re-payment plan is fair, so that you don't get completely overwhelmed. As far as the job, we've all learned lessons the hard way, unfortunately. At least now you know what to watch out for when you do find your next job.

niknicnac: Sorry the cabinet quote was that bad. Home repairs are so expensive! Hope you manage to find the funds without selling off body parts.

Making up for lost time...I edited for 3 hours yesterday, and I'm now 1/4 of the way through this draft. I'll need to pick up the pace in March and April though if I want to finish by mid-July. My busy season at my day job starts in May (bookkeeper for a pool heater repair company), and I get very little time to work on writing from then through the early fall.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Finally FINALLY finished the draft! And I've still got four days until the submission window opens to clean it up.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
DL - way to go - 1/4 of the way through! Congrats on getting those three hours of work in

Taylor, congrats on the finishing :)

Day 25: just a little work* on the new project; I filled some of a form (ugh. forms) and found a nice tutorial for making an online multiple-choice quiz.
3/3

*I'm glad to have done anything. I came this close to bailing. I worked 7 days this week. I'm not exhausted, but I am pretty tired.

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
DL: Glad you were able to make up for lost time. Don't you hate when that pesky work stuff gets in the way. I love my job (or maybe I just love the benefits, lol), but wish I had more time to write.

Taylor: Congrats on getting that draft finished, and good luck with the submission.

Layla: I don't even want to think about 7 days of work, eeek! At least you got some work done on the new project.

Today I worked on plot points and character building, but did squeeze in 632 words putting me over 10k in the FN this month.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23-26
Any attempts at getting back on track were completely derailed this Saturday as I was hit with a sudden and ferocious fever. I've spent the last 48 hours or so laid out in my bed or on the couch, semi-awake and having fever dreams. I'm feeling better now, though not good. I'll make sure to get the new thread up and I'll aim for picking it back up then. Right now, I'm just glad I can type a cohesive sentence.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Layla: A little work is better than none, especially when you feel beat. Hope you get some more energy today.

niknicnac: Nice that you love your job (and benefits). Sure makes it easier to show up everyday! Sounds like you made some good progress with your writing, great work.

Magnus: Wow...that's some whopper of a fever! Maybe you can turn some of those fever dreams into writing fodder? Glad to hear you are a feeling a little better.

Yesterday was dog school, family over for dinner, and "The Walking Dead" mid-season premiere. But I did manage to edit for just over an hour.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Had my first day at my new job today! It was...interesting. Nervous for tomorrow where I'm "shadowing" someone to learn the ropes.

I've only written 3179 words this month, which is depressing, but I did spend 12 days half-dead in my bed so I guess that mitigates some of the damage. Maybe I'll get some more written today!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
congrats on 632 words, Nic - that's a goodly amount

Magnus, wow. That sounds awful. Sending healing vibes your way

DL - likewise, congrats on getting to some work on your editing

peartree! good to see you :) glad to hear the job is interesting & glad to hear you managed to fit the writing in despite being pretty sick - however, it was really hard to bring myself to deal with the new project

Day 25: ˜1/2 page handwritten. Feeling pretty good about that because it was just seeming so difficult to get back to it yesterday that I took a pass on this project. And it was hard, I almost didn't get to it, but - managed a bit of work on my new project :)

I made a copy of the tax related form, found the address & put it in a stamped envelope; Also rsvpped a person with whom I'll do a language lesson exchange - he'll be my beta (alpha?) tester, if he larns good it will help me to pitch the lessons as a class to the local Adult Ed center. I'm considering this my income action.

On the downside, one of subtenants (I rent out furnished rooms, average stay is 4 months) gave me her notice. So - I got to do the thing again...

3/3

Hope everybody is finding those words & treating themselves nice :)

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus: Sorry to hear you've been sick. Glad you're starting to feel better.

DL: It does make it easier when you like your job. An hour of editing is good in my opinion. Keep it up!

Peartree: Hope it was a good interesting. Good luck tomorrow. 3179 words is excellent considering how sick you were.

Layla: Glad you're making progress on the new project. Sorry you have to find a new tenant.

It was a rough day today. I knew I wasn't in the right mindset to write so I worked on a beta read instead.

KitKate

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus: Glad you're feeling better. Keep up the resting!
peartree: Rest and health is top priority. This winter's been a nasty one for bugs.
Layla: Well done for the progress on the new project!
niknicnac: Sometimes you need that step away and focus elsewhere. :)

Day... totally losing track of the days. >_< Caught a stomach flu (I love my diseased job *rolls eyes*) so nothing got done yesterday except binge watching some TV shows. Recently stepped away from current WiP and got completely distracted by Shiny New Idea. Wrote the first 500-odd words and really feeling the muse for this one so I'm switching to this project for a while. Gonna try and push some words out today while I'm bedridden.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
peartree: I hope once you learn the ropes that the new job goes from *interesting* to "I love it!!" As for the words, that's 3000+ words that you did not have the month before. Progress is still progress, and you should be proud of that.

Layla: Great that you got past your hurdle and managed to get some writing done. Ugh about the tenant. Just when you thought you were done with *that* issue. Fingers crossed that you re-rent the room fast.

niknicnac: Sorry that you had a rough day. Hope things are better today.

KitKate: Oh, no! You are sick too? Maybe I better stay off this thread. It seems to be full of viruses! Feel better...and have fun working on the new shiny.

I didn't get any editing done, but my husband and I did finish another painting project in the house. Little by little, we are sprucing the place up.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Got the new story off to betas and will likely submit asap. And in this moment I ask myself: "Well, what next? Another short or back to the novel?"

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Nik - Hope the beta reading was a good change of gears

Kit - 500 words is good - sometimes we need a Shiny New to remind us why it's fun to write!

DL - yeah. The housemate thing. It's very hard for me to find people I can share with. I need to live with people who are *out* a *lot*. I'm really glad this person gave her notice, actually. I was glad she took the room when I was really in financial straits, but she doesn't have a job so she's here during the day. For the first two months I was working five days a week, but my change in schedule has put our needs in conflict. I didn't want to ask her to move out, but I'm glad she'll be going. Except that I have to look for a housemate... That will take up a lot of my bandwidth...

ETA: I missed Taylor! hmm - a choice. Choices are nice! & congrats on the submitting. You're brave :D

Day 27: ~1/2 page on the handwritten; put the tax form in the mail; logged on to my server and uploaded one of the pages for the HTML quiz form, then managed to do a (very) little on my new project

3 of 3!! (tiny tasks, but I covered the spread. very tired & going to bed now)

keep swimming yall

Last edited:

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick drive by. I got poked and prodded by the doc today which sent my pain level through the roof. More tests to come. Bruh. I wanna be a real girl again. :( Wasn't really in the mood for writing but did manage to do a little research and squeeze out 250 words. Not much but better than nothing I suppose.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 28
Just checking in to tell you I'm okay. The fever is passing, but slowly. It was/is the flu. Makes me feel foolish for skipping the vaccination because it cost something like $12. I had the flu once before, so I am sure it will take me another week or so to fully recover, but I should be able to get some basic tasks done over the next few days if I get some ibuprofen in my system and work in focused shifts. Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. See you in March!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. :e2coffee:

Magnus, glad you’re on the mend. And best wishes to niknicnac and others who are not feeling your best.

February was an abject disaster for me, writing-wise. March is a new month. I’ll try again. Good luck and good skill to all.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Taylor: How exciting to be just about ready to submit a story...good luck with it. Can't answer you on your choice though, only you can decide what you really want to work on next.

niknicnac: Ugh. Fingers crossed that the doctor drums up some answers for you. Amazing that you got some writing done, despite that. Nice work!

Layla: I can see how distracting it must be to have someone home, especially when you are trying to get writing and work related projects done. It would be great if your next tenant is a work-a-holic! Congrats on the 3 for 3!

Magnus: Glad you made it to the better side of the flu. Hope each day is better than the one before as you continue to get well.

Lakey: I didn't get anywhere close to my goals for February either, but like you said, a new month is here. Cheers to a more productive March!

I ran short on time last night. I managed another hour of editing, but would have liked to do more. But that means today I'll be knowing exactly where I'm heading as I open the file, and hopefully I'll get a lot done. Especially since today's my last chance to make up for lost time this month.

KitKate

Registered
Reaction score
Well done everyone for all achievements. Hopefully March is better health-wise for us all! ^_^

Day 28
Added another 500 words to the Shiny New Idea. Overall, 2,155 words into the new WiP.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Taylor, on finishing your draft.

Knew I would have to spill over into March, with the end of next month as my final date for finishing the first round of revisions.

Thanks for all the updates and encouragement, all....

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Ended the month with a solid 2 hours of editing tonight. On page 66 out of 202, and have been adding pages as I go. My goal is to speed up the pace next month...and I hope to see everyone in the March challenge!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Magnus, glad to hear you're feeling better :)

(((hugs))) Lakey, good to see you, give yourself a hug, too

DL - Thanks for your words of understanding & congrats on that productive hour. I think it feels good when you can leave off in a way that let you jump right back in the next session.

Kit - keep writing!!

Melody, & you - keep revising ;)
(oh, and DL, too - page 66, sweet!)

Day 28 - whew! Did little bit the handwritten project I've been working on. I'll use 'The Duchess' as a working title. Took my rent to the landlord, worked a little bit on the online-quiz form, and did a very wee bit on the new project.

3/3

See you in the March thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.