February Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Day 13 - 18/55. Sloooowly but surely.

Taylor - I said entertaining, not necessarily funny... probably I'm envisioning something like Falling Down but with an English teacher instead of an engineer.

Thanks for the tip! I will look that up. Who's the author?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor - I really feel like I've been there! (((hugs))) fwiw - the thing that made the difference is to learn how to write merely and only for the pleasure of it

Melody - that's nice to get you count in - keep at it!

Nik - good to still take time to put some care into your writing work, nice :)

Esmae - keep going! keep going! Those scenes will definitely grow!

DL - congrats on your Monday editing session :)

Likewise, Magnus, sounds like a nice solid challenge with that revising. Way to level up! ;)

Day 13: Wrote a page (!)
Did some drug-store shopping (I always put that off); did some W3Schools java training

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a movie! It came out way back in '93, staring Michael Douglas.

Thanks!

As for today, I put the one story aside to cook and started another one based on SYW feedback. I think it has potential to be good.

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Esmae: You don't have to be brave. Rejection letters don't bite. They sting a little, but they don't bite. I've never gotten one that wasn't very polite. They're usually just a standard that's sent out to all rejectees. Think of them as boy scout badges: You have to get so many before you achieve that sought after eagle scout badge. The sooner you start collecting them, the sooner you get that golden acceptance letter.

Taylor: Esmae's right, we are our own worse critics. Write it, even if you think it's terrible. Then put aside. Give it a few days to breathe. Come back to it, and read it again. Will it still have problems? Yes, but you might find that they're not as bad as you thought, and you'll probably have fresh ideas on how to fix them after giving yourself some space from it. Good luck on bulking up your scenes.

DL: The worse thing about submitting is the wait. For me, the rejection letter is easier to handle than the wait. A strong hour and a half, that's great!

Magnus: Revision definitely counts. Good luck!

Layla: What kind of design work do you do? I'm nosy. I actually considered taking web design when I started school, but ended up taking networking instead before deciding to follow my dream and changing my major to creative writing.

Only wrote 320 words today. I got a late start and have to get up a lot earlier than usual tomorrow so it's off to bed.

Before I go I thought I would share what's going on in my hometown. When I travel and people find out where I'm from, this is why they ask me if we have running water and electricity.

27867342_2022751564420514_7160226538122233444_n.jpg

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Will just have to make a quick check in today, but I got to read the posts.

Have to start beefing up scenes and writing 'segues' to connect them, so down to 5 pages revised, but I figured that would happen. Hope everyone else can get work done this week.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. :e2coffee:

When I say I aim for 500 words a day but rarely manage it on weekdays, I really mean it.

I wrote nothing on Monday. I worked a little bit late, got home, and was just too tired. Yesterday, I worked even later, but I was picking someone up from the airport and still had an hour to kill. I had planned for this and brought my laptop along, l managed to spend the hour picking at my story. I might have added 200 words to it but I also killed 100 other ones.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
So I didn't get any editing done last night. Some of you already know from previous threads that I've been caring for a dying pet, my cat, Cinder. He has an inoperable, moderate sized liver tumor, as well as a mast cell tumor on his flank, which also can't be removed due to the liver tumor. He had been holding his own, but last night he had a terrible night, just spacey and not eating well and staring at his water bowl, but not drinking.

He is so very very skinny, and he gets sick often, but he has still been very social. So my vet had said as long as he is eating, that we will just monitor him and wait. I thought maybe last night it might have been time, and I was just so upset about having to make the decision. I lost two senior dogs in the past two years too, so I'm just spent. Anyway, this morning he seems better again, so I will see how he does over the next few days. It is an emotional roller coaster though, and the only way off the ride is filled with sadness.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14
Epic success. Recent events have definitely given me some momentum. I've spent most of the day doing a tight revision/edit of my contest story, and then I worked over some of my notes and first draft scenes for the prequel story, and then I wrote 5-600 words on top of that. It feels great. Now, I need to remember not to take this energy for granted and stick with the program.

D.L. - I watch a dog 10-12 weeks per year and I can only imagine what it would be like to see him sick like that. All I can think to do is send strengthening thoughts your way.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 14 - 19/55. Slightly baffled by the fact that I'm closing on the halfway mark already. Would love to go back to last February and kick myself a few times so I could've finished the first draft a bit sooner. Oh well!

Layla - Hah, I actually had to run out to CVS myself last night to pick up Valentines' day cards for a pre-K class. Came >< close to jumping out of line to ask the guy three people ahead of me if his SO's favorite color was yellow, otherwise saving him from making an epic, disastrous mistake, because yellow roses are a symbol of jealousy and infidelity and not actually what you want to be giving out on V-Day. But I didn't. Awesome job on your page!

Taylor - Good luck with the new(er) story. And good luck turning off the inner critic until you make it good.

Niknic - I don't actually have anything I could even send out to bring home rejection letters yet. That's my big End Of The Year goal. But we'll see! That sign though... it gets funnier the longer I look at it.

Melody - Five pages isn't bad. Keep at it.

Lakey - Sometimes it's quality over quantity. If those are 200 words you can keep when you go to revise later, it was a really productive use of time. (If not... well that's a whole other problem but we won't talk about that now.)

D.L. - Your poor kitty. That really is the absolutely hardest part about having animals and there's nothing that makes it easier, ever.

Magnus - Wow, that's definitely progress! Hopefully you can keep some of that energy now that you've come through the other side of the slump you were in.

Happy Middle-of-the-Month, all!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Continued with newer story and edited some of a second manuscript. Said draft is looking much better than when I finished it. What a difference in perspective 72 hours makes!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Nic - rejection letters as boy scout badges. *WIN* (srsly - it really helps me to hear your perspective)
I'm kind of all over the map w/ design. I'm self-taught. I've done some clothing design (but the manufacturing costs were a problem). I got a gig making web images & doing powerpoint work) right now I'm trying to set myself up as a designer to put $$ in my pocket while I work on the Dream. I like best working with Adobe, but I can't afford a strong computer now, so I'll try to set myself up as a UX designer.
ps: Next time they ask you that, ask them if they know Bill Clinton's IQ.

Hey Melody - yeah, sometimes we just have to do a drive-by. & I hear you about that slow-down - especially as you get closer to the end. Keep at it!!

Hey Lakey - I'm looking forward to the time when I can write 500/day. For now, I'm just happy to get something on paper. Glad you got to fit some words in while you were on an errand - that's a *win*

DL - (((hugs))). & (((hugs))) again.

Magnus - 'epic success' sounds really great! way to go!

Esmae - yeah. It was CVS. (and ... so *that's* the deal with yellow roses...) Closing on the halfway mark sounds good.

Taylor, glad to hear you're writing happier :)

Day 14: 1 page :)
did more W3 javascript
called the car insurance company and took care of something - it was simple, but ... I stress out when I get those envelopes that I'm not expecting.

Last edited:

Melody

Registered
Reaction score
Layla, Taylor and Magnus - Glad you got some work done today.

Esmae - Couldn't tell how you did by your post.

D.L. So sorry about your cat. Went through that with a dog a couple of years back and it is heartbreaking and distracting, so I feel your pain. :(

So far this month - 100 pages edited at this halfway point. If I can do 100 more by the end of the month, this novel just might be in decent shape. First was over 300 pages. This one should land at about 200,

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Quick check in. I hurt, it's late, and I should have been in bed an hour ago considering what time I got up this morning. 524 words. I consider that a good night since I fell asleep several times while writing them.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
There's no way I'll be able to properly respond to everything I missed while going AWOL, but I promise I actually didn't stop writing - I just failed to check in! From Saturday to Wednesday, I wrote about 4,200 words (in scattered WIPs), so that's above my daily goal if you average it (it wasn't done necessarily daily, but I can't recall the word counts per day). Today, to get back on track, I wrote 604 words in WIP #2. I finally got some beta notes back on WIP #1, so I feel like maybe I can move forward with that again now. But I clearly am favoring this second idea more since that's where all my words are going, haha. I'm going to try to stop failing at checking in here and seeing what everyone is doing. It's been kind of a deluge lately. Hope everyone is well!!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hello. :e2coffee:

Friends, I'm starting to wonder if I should even be at this party. I say that i want to write every day, but day after day, I don't. I won't even say that I can't; most days I never get as far as trying. Back in January I thought it was exhaustion from the difficult deadline I had at work. Now, I just don't know what it is.

I'm concerned about it.

Last night, I did open up the story and pick at it for a little while, enough to realize that an element I'd put into it didn't make any sense at all and was going to have to be removed. This is a separate issue from the ending, which also doesn't make any sense once it's established that the characters are Jewish. So now I have a story with two elements that make no sense. With that, I closed the notebook and set it aside. And that was it for last night.

It's almost President's Day weekend. Last year, I took this weekend as a little retreat up on the shore with a friend of mine. She did more processing of a failing relationship than writing, but I wrote. I wrote a chapter and a half of my novel that actually aren't bad and will probably mostly survive the first revision, if I ever get there. I don't have a retreat planned this year but I'd like to figure out something I can do with the weekend to kick myself out of this place where I just .... don't write.

And for you:

D.L Shepherd: I am so, so sorry. My cats are such a joy and comfort for me - watching one of them suffer, and having to say goodbye, is just one of the worst things there is. Take care, and know that you cared for him well and he had a good happy life with you as his companion.

Magnus: Enjoy your epic success! If you don't mind scooting over and making a little room, I think some of us will enjoy basking vicariously in it. :D

Esmae: A friend of mine used to say, "The best time to have done something might be a year ago, but the second best time is now." We converted the latter half of the phrase into a little acronym: TSBTIN, which we pronounced "tis button." Then we we would say it to one another whenever we found ourselves lamenting having stalled on some action or other. So, when you talk about kicking last-February-Esmae, I will say: Tis button!

Taylor Harbin: Welcome to the thread. I'm really glad you're seeing quality in your draft. It's nice when perspective helps you see the strengths of something rather than just amplifying its warts.

Layla Nahar: Thanks for the encouragement, and the reminder that I'm not alone in falling short of 500 a day. I appreciate your recording the responsible things you do - I sometimes chafe against "adulting" and can get terribly avoidant about it. It's worth celebrating the times when one manages to accomplish it!

Melody: You're editing at a fair clip; wonderful. We'll all cheer you on for next 100 pages.

niknicnac: That sounds like a very good night, especially when you're very tired. Congratulations!

heykatydid: I love your productivity and envy it. I hope you're having fun with it! Good luck and good skill.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 15
Will give myself a pass today, just couldn't get to sleep yesterday and I'm knackered. I'm probably paying for all the coffee I had during my revision/writing marathon yesterday. I'll try to get a bit of work in, but I'm guessing it won't happen. It's okay though, yesterday makes up for it and I'll get back on it tomorrow!

Taylor - Time away from the draft makes a huge difference. After I finish a big draft I leave it alone for at least two weeks.

Layla - Those small tasks (filling out a form, cold-calling people) can weigh so heavy, yet when you've done them you feel such a relief and you wonder what you were fuzzing about. I always get like that.

heykaty - Welcome back, nice to hear you've been missing check-ins because you've been busy writing! :)

Lakey - This is exactly where you're supposed to be. The fact that you're not hitting the goal you set means you need us to support and prod you. Right now, I think you should just set a small and easily achievable goal. Getting away is also a good thing, but try to find a way to "get away" while you're at home. Find a special spot to write in, or associate it with some small ritual. When I was building my meditation habit, I didn't allow myself to drink coffee until I had at least sat down and tried to meditate for 5 minutes. That worked very well!

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Melody! wuuuwiii for those 100 pages & here's some cheers for those other 100

Nik - wow, that's a wonderful number for a bad-feeling day :) keep at it!

Katy - it's ok, glad to see you & glad you had such good productivity :) Keep riding that wave!!

Lakey - You absolutely should be at this party! Who else is going to wear that gorgeous red dress? Everything you've said sounds familiar to me. I think it's a lot of complex things with that interfere with our ability to act on our creative desires. It helped me a lot to drop any thought of wordcount goals and be satisfied with *something*. I think it was last month that I often had days where I only wrote 3 lines, or 5 lines or 2 lines. & if it's hard to write now, it's ok to stop. I stopped for 14 months and I didn't know when I would ever get back to it. Keep hope alive and above all, be kind, be compassionate with yourself. (check out Old Hack's posts in Outwitting Writer's Block about self-compassion)

Magnus, enjoy that pass. It's nice to be able to take one :)

Day 15: Glad to say I managed a 1/2 a page (today was a two-job day...)
Did a little bit of W3 javascript
made pasta so I have lunch for tomorrow...
3/3

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who mentioned me. Feeling sickish, so pardon me not replying to all individually.

Finished editing the draft, all 6100 words of it. It felt good cutting out entire pages and getting a sharp focus on what direction I needed to take (which involved maintaining the sense of wonder). The hard part will be staying at 6000 words.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Still pretty sick. I've been trying to work every single day, but I've barely gotten any writing done...I just get headachey and no words come out. Hope you're all doing better.

Melody

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus - We do what we can, when we can. Hopefully, the next few days will turn out better.

Layla - Impressed with what you got done, with all the other jobs you are doing. Good for you.

Peartree & Taylor- Hope you feel better soon. Sickness is hitting our house too.

Had to write a couple of new scenes so wrote 5 new pages today. Figure that is equal to or more than editing 8. (Oh, the benefits of changing the rules midstream....). ;)

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Peartree & Taylor: Hope you guys start feeling better soon. Being sick is the worst.

Melody: 5 pages! That's a good day.

Layla: Bill Clinton has an IQ? It's so hard to tell. A page and half since I last checked in. You're like the energizer bunny. You just keep going no matter what. Also, thanks. I worry sometimes that I ramble too much. I was a tutor at the university and sometimes I think I have a hard time turning off the "tutor button."

Lakey: Don't beat yourself down. Keep pushing. It maybe cliche, but it's true that we are our own worse enemy. I think most of us go through what you're feeling right now. I know I certainly have. I just got back in the writing habit last month after way too long a slump.

Heykatie: Glad to see you back. We missed you, and wow what a word count. You've been hard at work!

Somehow I ended up writing the same exact number of words as I did last night, 524. I was tempted to write just one more sentence so I wouldn't have the same number, but I was at a good stopping point and couldn't bring myself to do it. I knew I wouldn't want to stop and would end up being up too late.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Niknicnac - Maybe your word count two nights in a row is fate?! That's cool! Here's hoping that every night is that productive?

Melody - writing or editing, at least you are interacting with your words! Great job!

Peartree - hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon! Being sick is the worst. Sending good thoughts your way.

Taylor - 6000 words? Good luck! I'm a "add unnecessary words" person so I would have trouble with that! Hope you start feeling better, too.

Layla - thank you! I missed everyone haha. And I hope I can keep it going! It's hard sometimes. You, too!

Magnus - pass days are always okay, those words will have some time to grow more pronounced before they eventually come out. Hope you had good luck today!

As for me, I did manage to write 586 words today, so that's a win. Yesterday was a really bad mental health day for me due to the next round of immigration paperwork and it being a huge trigger for my anxiety. Last night was a total waste of everything because it took me the entire time to work myself down from the freakout. I'm hoping that the weekend away from work will help a bit with my anxiety problems as of present. At least I'm still getting words in, yeah? :) Hugs all around!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I've had my editor's opinion of my first chapter outline/semi rewrite and it's favourable. But.... there's a few things I need to address in it and also the effect this will have on the rest of the main storyline.

So that means more rewriting, and probably new chapters.

(am I supposed to get this finished this lifetime?)

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts about my cat, Cinder. We did end up having to let the little guy go this morning, as he continued to decline. It's been a long road with him the past few months, and I'm glad he is at peace. Doesn't make it any easier for me to say goodbye though, and I'm pretty down right now, so I'm taking the weekend for some me time. Hope everyone else is doing well with your goals, and I'll see you all next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.