Mousehold Words -- Victorian novels in serial format

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh, I just stumbled upon a fun, lovely website! Mousehold Words sends Victorian novels the old-fashioned way, one episode at a time. Easier to quote them:

Welcome! Mousehold Words is a free web service that recreates the experience of reading great novels in their original serial format on your tablet, smartphone, e-reader or computer.

Many great novels of the eighteenth and nineteenth century didn't start as books: they were printed a chapter or two at a time in a magazine or newspaper. This gave the author a steady income and the magazine a steady readership. Masters of the serial novel included Charles Dickens, Alexandre Dumas, and Wilkie Collins.

Now you can experience these great works just as their first readers did. Mousehold Words emails you one serial part at a time, just as Dickens’ or Dumas’ readers would have read them, on a schedule you choose. Our digital serial editions feature the original serial divisions and are professionally edited and formatted for reading on your tablet, mobile device or computer.

This is a volunteer site and there is no charge for the service. We will use your email address only to send you digital serial parts and messages directly related to your subscription. To get started, please visit our Catalog of Novels, or, if you have any questions about the service, please use the links above to explore our site.

The text sent is the edited version (the one we usually read), and illustrations are NOT included, so it's not quite like the original experience. I still think it's a great idea.

I just subscribed to The Black Robe by Wilkie Collins (as it's reasonably short) to try it out. Has anyone else tried this?

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
OK, it's brilliant. I've read the third installment of The Black Robe today, and when I got to the end... I wanted to strangle Wilkie Collins. He can't let me hanging there! It's too cruel!

Yep. Cliffhangers reach their full height when you have to wait for the next part. :greenie