What's the average wordcount for YA books?

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
I know the typical non-YA novel starts around 90K, but I've heard that YA novels are often shorter than that?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would stay above 65K for a YA SFF and 40K for a YA contemp. A debut author would probably want to aim below 100K, even for SFF.

90K sounds long for non-SFF adult, but since I don't write it, who knows?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My Contemps range from 50K to 82K...I'd say anywhere inside those parameters would work...maybe closer to the 50 end. And what they said about SFF too...

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I work for a small press and the publisher handed me a YA fantasy book to go over looking for plot/character issues. Thing is, the book is 140K, and I had the feeling this was just too big for YA.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know if the author is already published, and if they have any previous work with this publisher.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I work for a small press and the publisher handed me a YA fantasy book to go over looking for plot/character issues. Thing is, the book is 140K, and I had the feeling this was just too big for YA.

This is really going to be the publisher's decision. If they don't have a problem with it, then no reason to worry. Why not ask, though?

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know if the author is already published, and if they have any previous work with this publisher.

I don't know if the author has been published elsewhere, but this is the first with this press.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Every press is different. Some won't take books that are shorter than another press's maximum word count. I had an editor insist I get a YA SF under 65K, which many see as a minimum for YA SFF.

Since your question comes from working in a small press, ask the editors what they want.