Hemingway: "The secret is writing poetry into prose."

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Woke up at 3-something AM remembering something I wrote over a year ago. For some reason feel the need to put it out now.
Ernest Hemingway's writing style has often been attributed to him becoming a reporter while still a teen and working at it several times afterward. But I recently came across a collection of his stories with an interview where he says of his style: "The secret is writing poetry into prose." A little bit of research turned up that he also wrote poems and supported himself in part by selling them.

So I wondered. Are there poetic techniques we like Hemingway can use to improve our writing? I did a bit of research. There are whole glossaries and lists of the techniques. One lists 60 of them (the Virtual Salt web site). The Poetry Foundation lists 245!

Argh! Pretty daunting, especially when you consider that most terms have been given non-intuitive Latin or Greek names.

So I went looking for sites where the poetic devices were arranged in some sort of categories. I gave up after checking out more than a couple of hundred links. I only found one, by the Chaparral Poets organization, and it was only partly useful. So in spare chunks of time I've been categorizing them. Maybe this will help others interested in evolving their writing with poetic techniques.

My first thought as I pored over the names and definitions is that they belong to several levels. The lowest are those of syllables, the next higher is of phrases and sentences, the highest of an entire work such as the poem or novel.

My second thought was that a lot of them involve repetition.

At the lowest level are the same sounds at the beginning, middle, and end of words near each other. "She had l-ong strong l-ovely l-egs." "Her r-uling was r-udely booed." Each kind of repetition has three separate labels in the poetic lexicon, yet they are the same technique. A fourth label is given to same sounds when they are near the end of one word and the beginning of another: "lovely legs" and "her ruling." Yet a fifth term is given same sounds within the same word: "lovely"!

Repetition may be exact: "u" and "oo." It can also be of similar but not the same sounds, as in "amber" and "also." Here the a sounds are pronounced differently in English. When the similar sounds are vowels the label is different from when they are consonants: "amber" and another." Linguistically using different terms for similar but not the same sounds may make sense, but to a working writer using different terms may seem unnecessary pedantry.

The level above syllables is complete and incomplete sentences: phrases. An example is from a speech: "We will fight them on the ground. We will fight them on the sea. We will fight them in the air. We will never surrender." A more compact and logical organization might be "We will fight them on the ground and the sea and in the air and never surrender." This would not have the emotional punch of the original however. The repetition of the "We" emphasizes a feeling of solidarity. The repetitive sentences act like a drumbeat, giving a feel of determined march toward an enemy.

Linguists and rhetoricians identify a variety of repetitive techniques in poems and speeches and stories. Each with a different name and usually with Latin and Greek names or other technical jargon. The main thing we working writers need to remember, however, is the general lesson: Repetition and parallelism at different levels can help us heighten the emotions of our readers and in-form their ideas.

My third thought was that many of the poetic techniques use references to something else, a sort of linguistic shorthand. "The moon was a ghostly galleon" likens the moon's illusion of motion across the sky to the swimming of a ship across the sea. "Her ruby lips would pale a red rose" metaphorically equates lips and roses, both flushed with color, both lovely and valuable. AND whose beauty will fade with time like the wilting of cut roses or the browning of roses in autumn. Each example uses a few words to suggest a lot of meaning.

Much simile and metaphor depends on the reader sharing common ideas. "A veritable Athena" or "a Lear stepped from the stage into the boardroom" only works if the reader knows Greek mythology or Shakespearean plays. A reference to Wonder Woman or Batman or Darth Vader might have more punch in the modern global ideational ocean.
__________________________________________​
What about you? Do you, deliberately or intuitively, use poetic techniques in your stories?

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes yes very much yes.

I can almost always tell writers who read poetry from those who don't, just from reading their prose. Mind, not everyone likes the uh, 'flair' it adds (or frill, if you view it negatively) so it's subjective and so forth.

Emma Darwin has a wonderful article on why poetry is very useful for many authors. To summarise some of her arguments: it teaches you to be concise. It teaches you to experiment with rhythm and grammar. It opens your mind to new and unusual imagery. And above all, poems are creations designed to be read out loud. I think all of that is invaluable.

I thieve from poetry all the time. Addendum; if you aren't much of a poetry person, I think music often serves the same role. Rock songs, pop songs, whatever. As long as it has lyrics.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As a formal poet, Hemingway was awful. But he used his poetic sensibilities to great effect in his prose. Some other writers of his generation who did similarly include John Steinbeck, Willa Cather, Carson McCullers, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett and James M. Cain. It's a good principle to apply.

And, by the way, good poetry does not imply flowery language or opulent description. Quite the opposite, generally.

caw

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
well, hopefully we don't have to be poet ourselves >.> I've only ever written one poem. About tea, as it happens. (It wasn't a masterpiece, in case anyone was wondering.) But one of the things I like about Eliot, for example, which he also shares with Wolfe (the writer) is his ability to condense very complex concepts into a handful of words. That's very useful and I can learn from that even if I never string any verses of note together :p

I used a lot of poetic structures in a recent flash piece. I wouldn't do it so overtly for something longer but at that length it helped me to create and reinforce a consistent theme.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
What about you? Do you, deliberately or intuitively, use poetic techniques in your stories?

With me it has been largely intuitive (keeping in mind that my major course of study at college was English literature, which certainly included poetry), though I've become more aware of it in recent years and have taken the time to refresh my memory about rhetorical devices and add new ones I was never taught (though I did encounter them in my reading). Many of those devices involve repetition*: anaphora, epistrophe, symploce, anadiplosis, polyptoton, alliteration, assonance, consonance, conduplicatio, polysendeton...

The opening sentences of A Tale of Two Cities contain anaphora, epistrophe, and symploce, all three.

I wish more writers were aware of them and studied their uses. Too often I see (and have experienced) critiques where the critiquer, with the best of intentions, marks them as faults. ("You used the same word at the end of one sentence and the beginning of the other." "You have three sentences in a row ending with the same word." "There are three "ands" in that sentence!") But these and other rhetorical devices add power, grace, and euphony to our writing. Hemingway was absolutely right.

*Keeping in mind that not all repetition in prose can be called a rhetorical device. Sometimes it's just repetition. It makes the writing dull and sets up dissonant echoes. That kind of inadvertent repetition needs to be edited out.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Argh! Pretty daunting, especially when you consider that most terms have been given non-intuitive Latin or Greek names.
We studied those in school as part of language studies and also as part of analyzing books of the greats (and explaining what's so great about them). It was boring but after a few years I guess it sinks in ;). I don't sit and consciously think about including them. Just like good grammar, it's just there :Shrug:. I haven't memorized the Greek and Latin names for most of them tho ;).

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I like to play around with rhythm and repetition but it's largely intuitive. I love poetry, but am not a poet, so I aspire at least to be poetic in the prose. This isn't limited to just prose per se; it's the dialogue too. Again, it's intuition but for me the dialogue is following a pattern or flow and I let it do that, even if it doesn't seem to be entirely necessary. You have to work to make it all work, but compression is a skill in poetry I admire too.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
And above all, poems are creations designed to be read out loud.

This is great info for writing dialogue that rhymes. For me, I wrote short rhymes for well known people, as part of dialogue or something to be read. I won't specify how I used them, exactly, but this is germane to this aspect of writing novels.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I think poetry makes us look more closely at the words we choose and how we structure our sentences for maximum impact. In the majority of cases, you don't have the secondary pleasure of a narrative in a poem.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I don't sit and consciously think about including [poetic devices]. Just like good grammar, it's just there.

As is proper. Consciously trying to use devices (and grammar and so on) is impossible when we speak or write (or play a game or do almost anything). There are many thousands of rules for most important activities, on many levels. We rely on our subconscious to handle them and it usually does that very well.

At least when we create the first draft of a literary work. On rewrite it helps to understand the more important rules, and their exceptions and variations, to better critique the work and fine-tune it.
The next level of poetic devices above words is those of sentences. Each has been given a Greek or Latin name. We don't need to know the names; in fact knowing them can clutter up our understanding. It's more important to remember the ways in which they are organized.

Pairs of sentences or partial sentences may express opposites. "We will shout it from the roof tops. We will whisper it behind our hands."

The sentences may express parallel sentiments. "We will fight on the ground. We will fight on the sea. We will fight in the air."

Some sentences use lists to give an effect. "The M Bazaar sold N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z." Lists with the ending conjunction have a name. Those without it have different name. (Oh, OK, since you insist. They are syndleton and asyndleton.)

And so on for over two dozen devices.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
At bottom, Hemingway's advice is a rephrasing of Mark Twain's famous dictum: The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning-bug..

Poetry is always about finding the right word.

caw

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Long ago and far away, I published a master's dissertation entitled, A Literary Confluence: Repetition as a Modern Prose Device Channeled through Gertrude Stein to Ernest Hemingway. Pharmaceutical companies want to use it as a strong device to induce sleep.

Neither Stein's nor Hemingway's poetry ever caught on, but their poetic repetition became one of the hallmarks of modern writing. I try to employ as much of it as possible without becoming too obvious.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Neither Stein's nor Hemingway's poetry ever caught on, but their poetic repetition became one of the hallmarks of modern writing. I try to employ as much of it as possible without becoming too obvious.

I don't think anybody in this discussion is addressing formal poetry (I noted earlier that Hemingway's meager formal poetic output is atrocious). Hem's comment, and Twain's, addresses the importance of precision of expression in prose, and that's what Hemingway meant with his "poetry" statement.

caw

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Other than throwing in a little alliteration or assonance every once in a while (the only two concepts I recognise from Beth's list of anaphora, epistrophe, symploce, anadiplosis, polyptoton, alliteration, assonance, consonance, conduplicatio, polysendeton—though I will now be researching the others), I don't consciously make an attempt to make my prose more poetic, especially not in longer works. However, I did recently attempt a more poetic style of writing in a very short (drabble) story... whether I was successful or not is down to individual opinion.

With me it has been largely intuitive (keeping in mind that my major course of study at college was English literature, which certainly included poetry)

I think I do the same intuitively (though, without the college degree or to the same extent). I can generally...

I wish more writers were aware of them and studied their uses. Too often I see (and have experienced) critiques where the critiquer, with the best of intentions, marks them as faults. ("You used the same word at the end of one sentence and the beginning of the other." "You have three sentences in a row ending with the same word." "There are three "ands" in that sentence!") But these and other rhetorical devices add power, grace, and euphony to our writing. Hemingway was absolutely right.

*Keeping in mind that not all repetition in prose can be called a rhetorical device. Sometimes it's just repetition. It makes the writing dull and sets up dissonant echoes. That kind of inadvertent repetition needs to be edited out.

...spot when a writer is using repetition for effect, and when the writing is just repetitive. Repetition for effect still flows, and becomes stronger for the reinforcement. Repetitive writing drags and has no cadence when I read it out loud in my head. I think this comes down to the difference between good/experienced writers knowing the rules and being able to break them effectively, and bad/inexperienced writers breaking the rules the wrong way because they don't fully understand them.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the best "poetry" I've read in narrative prose is also some of the cleanest, least cluttered prose I've ever read. Prose with rhythm, energy, vibrancy, effective word choice and sentence structures. Really good practitioners include people like James M. Cain, Raymond Chandler, Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers, Pete Dexter. I don't think any of them employs conscious effort to use "poetical" techniques. They just all know it in their bone marrow, and feel it as they write. We should all aspire to that condition.

caw

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
They just all know it in their bone marrow, and feel it as they write. We should all aspire to that condition.

I agree, and I'd love to be able to subconsciously write like that. But for those of us (me :p) who have a pretty basic writing style but would still like to escalate their writing to a higher quality, I don't think there's any harm in a little conscious practise. As my sensei says, practise makes permanent. Just gotta make sure you're practising it right.