A Tech Question about Laptops

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of a new computer. I have an 11 year old iMac that's slowing down with each new update. I love Apple because I'm comfortable with it and would have to relearn any other system. Also, I love Apple mostly for their resistance to viruses. Also, I'm not the most computer literate person but I'm not a complete idiot either.

I have a budget of $600 at most and want to get a laptop of some kind. But I don't know the difference between a laptop, Notebook or Chromebook!

I don't want to buy one that's already a few years old (used). A new refurbished one is fine, but not used. And I highly doubt I'll find an Apple for $600 or less!

My needs would be mostly for writing, general browsing, and watching videos (mostly on YouTube). Even though my needs are very basic, I don't want a base model computer. My three biggest requirements for my new laptop (for the portability) are, in order:

1. Resistance to computer viruses, hacks, privacy, etc., I know this is generally a software matter when it comes to non-Apple computers but I'm really hoping someone can educate me in the very best way to protect my computer from these threats!

2. Durability. I want it to last, in great working order and reliability, for at least five years.

3. Speed. I don't want 5400-rpm hard drive. Since I'm looking at laptops, I like the non-volatility of Fusion Drives and SSD.

4. Storage. Mostly for documents. No music or videos.

I don't require the best display but I don't want a basic one either.

Any and all advice, recommendations, links, warnings, cautions, and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated!

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
Please be aware that Apple products are NOT resistant to viruses. Most Denial of Service attacks come from Apple products that have been infected with viruses. You will need to Install AntiVirus Software on whatever you buy.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Please be aware that Apple products are not resistant to viruses. Most Denial of Service attacks come from Apple products that have been infected with viruses. You will need to Install Anti0Virus Software on whatever you buy.

Absolutely, everyone should install anti-virus/anti malware software. There absolutely are known instances of OS X malware etc. There's decent antimalware software for free, for OS X and Windows, as well as most other flavors of Unix.

I question the assertion that most DDOS attacks are from Apple products that have been infected with viruses. That's categorically false.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of a new computer. I have an 11 year old iMac that's slowing down with each new update. I love Apple because I'm comfortable with it and would have to relearn any other system. Also, I love Apple mostly for their resistance to viruses. Also, I'm not the most computer literate person but I'm not a complete idiot either.

I have a budget of $600 at most and want to get a laptop of some kind. But I don't know the difference between a laptop, Notebook or Chromebook!

I don't want to buy one that's already a few years old (used). A new refurbished one is fine, but not used. And I highly doubt I'll find an Apple for $600 or less!

My needs would be mostly for writing, general browsing, and watching videos (mostly on YouTube). Even though my needs are very basic, I don't want a base model computer. My three biggest requirements for my new laptop (for the portability) are, in order:

1. Resistance to computer viruses, hacks, privacy, etc., I know this is generally a software matter when it comes to non-Apple computers but I'm really hoping someone can educate me in the very best way to protect my computer from these threats!

2. Durability. I want it to last, in great working order and reliability, for at least five years.

3. Speed. I don't want 5400-rpm hard drive. Since I'm looking at laptops, I like the non-volatility of Fusion Drives and SSD.

4. Storage. Mostly for documents. No music or videos.

I don't require the best display but I don't want a basic one either.

Any and all advice, recommendations, links, warnings, cautions, and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated!

You're not going to get a refurb "new" Mac for less than 800.00 You might look at the better respected used and under limited warranty Mac resellers.

A Chromebook is a possibility, particularly if you use an external display and/or keyboard.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
The comment about Denial of Service attacks has been verified through past Ziff-Davis articles.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Check your employer or any group you belong to that may offer discounts on stuff -- many have agreements with Apple that give 10 or sometimes 15% off. If you haunt the refurbs and/or go to physical Apple stores and check (some keep refurbs on hand in the back), you maaaay be able to find an Apple laptop refurb with a discount (I think they work on refurb?) that maybe maybe could come in *around* $600. Also check your town's authorized Apple reseller/repair shop for their refurbs?

You can certainly find other manuf. stuff that price with decent specs for new at Newegg, Fry's. etc.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Laptops use energy-efficient version of desktop electronics. They typically run slower but have similar capabilities. Notebooks push that concept further - by replacing graphics hardware by software rendering, use smaller screen and slower hard drives, etc. all in a smaller footprint. For a writer you have to think about a comfortable keyboard which notebooks usually do not provide.

Chromebooks are in a different league. They are terminals that have very litle storage and their UI interface is Google Chrome opened in full screen mode and you cannot get out of that. So your computing world is whatever you can run directly off the web - Google Docs, Office365 Online, Zoho Online Office, etc. Forget Scrivener or Mac Pages which requires an OS, a hard disk, and an installation. You need WiFi on a permanent basis if you want to do any significant work ( there are exceptions with Google software which can work without a connection).

As for what's best at your budget point and features, CNET ( link ) is a good reference. That's for new equipment. Bargain sales vary by products, region, and seller, so it's next to impossible to point you to a particular address and make / model.

-cb

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I own a Macbook Pro, and although it's a nice laptop, my Lenovo Yoga, which is relatively dirt cheap, outperforms it in every respect. Almost all modern laptops use an SSD, which is a huge performance booster. You can get something fairly functional in a Windows 10 machine for $600. But that's a low budget. Try to get something nicer in a refurb if possible.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies! I appreciate your input! I've been doing tons of research on what to buy. I took a step back to think objectively about it. I love my iMac and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Since it's not in the budget and a laptop would help get me out of the house more (and a Macbook Anything is definitely out of the question right now), I've resolved to get Apple out of my head (for now).

Considering my computer uses are considered extremely basic, and there's not really such a thing as a "best laptop for writers," I realized that something pretty much anything will do. In that case, it comes down to personal decisions. Until I can get out and physically take a look at them (probably at Best Buy), I've decided to go with a Chromebook. I just don't know which one yet. All I know is that I want it to be a 2 in 1, a Touchscreen, Backlit Keyboard, and a large screen. (I'm almost 52 and my eyes aren't what they used to be!)

I'd also like to download Opera with the VPN and will be getting Scrivener. All that's left is to see them in person and pick one out!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, can you put Opera on a Chromebook? Chromebooks are very limited in many ways.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies! I appreciate your input! I've been doing tons of research on what to buy. I took a step back to think objectively about it. I love my iMac and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Since it's not in the budget and a laptop would help get me out of the house more (and a Macbook Anything is definitely out of the question right now), I've resolved to get Apple out of my head (for now).

Considering my computer uses are considered extremely basic, and there's not really such a thing as a "best laptop for writers," I realized that something pretty much anything will do. In that case, it comes down to personal decisions. Until I can get out and physically take a look at them (probably at Best Buy), I've decided to go with a Chromebook. I just don't know which one yet. All I know is that I want it to be a 2 in 1, a Touchscreen, Backlit Keyboard, and a large screen. (I'm almost 52 and my eyes aren't what they used to be!)

I'd also like to download Opera with the VPN and will be getting Scrivener. All that's left is to see them in person and pick one out!

Scrivener won't work with a Chromebook.

While I'm a fan of Chromebooks, be aware that they really do need a live network connection most of the time.

Here's some good stuff to read about Chromebooks.

If you're sure you want to use Scrivener, (try it before buying; there's a free 30 trial), consider an inexpensive Windows laptop.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, can you put Opera on a Chromebook? Chromebooks are very limited in many ways.

Scrivener won't work with a Chromebook.

While I'm a fan of Chromebooks, be aware that they really do need a live network connection most of the time.

Here's some good stuff to read about Chromebooks.

If you're sure you want to use Scrivener, (try it before buying; there's a free 30 trial), consider an inexpensive Windows laptop.

Fudge. You're both right. I just did the research. Back to square one. You can't run Scrivener on Chromebook without using Linux. And you can install Opera on Chromebook - but its the Opera APP, not OS. :::sigh:::

Thanks for the Chromebook link, Admin! I'll check it out.
ETA: I just hate Windows. Most especially Windows 10.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You can't run Scrivener on Chromebook without using Linux.
The underlying Linux of the Chromebook is a hidden layer normal users don't have access to.

Scrivener can only run on Apple or Microsoft so you are stuck with either of those. Given your budget, this means Windows only.

-cb

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Scrivener does run on Linux, but I believe it's in a sort of unofficial capacity and supported by the Linux community on the Scrivener forum, and not the developers themselves yet. However, as that probably means users have to be tech savvy, it's probably not a decent fit for the OP.

Anyone interested can check out the Literature and Latte forum for more information.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I've spent the last few days researching and Linux does support Scrivener from everything I've read. But, at the end of the day, I don't want Linux because I don't want to have to worry about whether or not anything I buy, do, download, install, etc., is Linux friendly. I'm not the most computer literate person as it is!

I really do hate Microsoft and Windows 10 enough to rule them out. (I don't ever use the word "hate" lightly.) That leaves me with Chromebook or MacBook Air. Here's my thought process. Please poke through any glaring holes in it.

MY NEEDS: Replacing an 11 year old iMac that is getting slow. I'm a basic internet user - general browsing/research and watching YouTube. I also watch videos from people I trust on their websites. I also visit Primewire where I watch videos from different sources like Openload, Vidzi.tv, estream, etc., This is definitely the most "dangerous" thing I do online virus-wise. On my iMac I use AdBlock Plus and UBlock and have never had any problems.

My new computer will still be used mostly at home. I love desktops because I'm an extreme homebody! But, I've finally given myself permission to be "selfish" and seriously pursue writing, thus the portability would be nice. I also need to get out of my apartment more and "get a life." A laptop will help with that, even if it is more later than sooner. I definitely do NOT want a laptop that heats up easily or quickly! (One advantage to having

So, with that in mind...

MacBook Air vs Chromebook

PROS and CONS: (The pros of each one are the cons of the other!)

MacBook Air
1. I love Apple. I'm comfortable with it and know how it works. I've never had a single problem with my iMac in the 11 years I've had it. I bought it in 2007 for $2,400 and it was worth every penny.
2. I can use Scrivener.

Chromebook
1. I would save hundreds of $$$. I'm on a budget since I only work part-time right now. (Even though I'm not afraid to spend the money on a MacBook Air if it turns out to be the best choice for me. It's an investment.)
2. It has a better display than MB Air. For writing, I don't need it. But, for all the video watching... it's nice. Then again, from my understanding, the better the display, the more/faster the laptop gets hot!

Where I stand at the moment: I can get a Chromebook for now, save money, and get a few other things I need. I can buy Scrivener and use it on my current iMac. Then, later on, if I still want an Apple computer (whether iMac or a MacBook), I can buy it and transfer my Scrivener onto that.) I'd have to figure out how to format/transfer documents from Chromebook into my iMac so I can use Scrivener. I'd also want to know which virus protection is A#1, top of the line, for Chromebook.

Or should I just scrap the whole idea of a laptop altogether and just get another iMac since I'm mostly a home user? (My preference would be the 27" for my tired old eyes, costing $1,500 - $1,700, meaning I'd have to wait until the end of August to buy. A 21" would be $900 - $1,100, which I could get in 4-5 weeks.) If I buy an iMac, I can buy a laptop later when I actually need the portability.

Outside points of view would be nice. I'm too close to the situation to be fully objective/rational/logical!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
No matter how you look at it, you will spend about $100 - $250 a year on PC hardware (mid-range desktop). You can buy a $1500 PC that can last 5 - 7 years (11 in your case) or buy a $200 machine that may last about 2 - 3 years. The middle ground ~ $500 is usually optimal for the casual user - you get gear that last just long enough to be obsolete by the time the next gen gets on the market.

> I'd also want to know which virus protection is A#1,
> top of the line, for Chromebook.

You cannot install an executable on a Chromebook.
The web is the computer. The servers get the viruses, never the Chromebook.

The Chromebook is nothing more than a fancy terminal with just enough hardware to run Google Chrome at full screen. That's why it's cheap.

> I'd have to figure out how to format/transfer documents
> from Chromebook into my iMac so I can use Scrivener.

Since there is no storage to speak of on a Chromebook, whatever you have on the net (OneDrive, DropBox, Office 365 Online, Zoho Office, etc) you download directly to the Mac.

> I can get a Chromebook for now, save money, {...}

The cheapest models are ARM-based. Different processor instruction sets. It's like giving instructions in plain English when the computer can only understand Mohawk.

-cb

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to saving Scrivener projects, DropBox seems to be the preferred option for Scrivener users. Something about the manner in which the other programs save and sync Scrivener files.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I really doubt you're going to be happy with a Chromebook. They have limited functionality, and I've never understood why someone would choose that over a tablet in a keyboard case.

Why isn't a used MacBook Pro an option? You're going to get a lot more overall functionality and years of use out of the best MacBook Pro you can get for $600 than you would out of a MacBook Air, which sacrifices a lot of power and features for the portability factor.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
A Chromebook is a very bad idea for your primary computer. Aside from anything else, it's pretty nearly useless without a live net connection -- offline capability is severely limited. It has no onboard storage or apps -- everything lives "in the cloud." If all you're going to be doing with it is web browsing & email, it's fine for that, though a tablet would probably be just as good.

I've had a MacBook Air for some years now, and it's been a wonderful machine for light duty. HOWEVER, I can't fully recommend that you buy one. The MacBook Air was never really meant to be someone's main computer -- it never had that kind of processor power or capacity. Plus the model that's currently on the market is fairly ancient in tech terms -- it hasn't had a refresh/upgrade in several years, its components & processor are generations behind what Apple uses in current laptops, its screen is still the old coarse-resolution display (which was great in 2010, not so great now) -- and there is a lot of talk among Mac fanciers that the Air, having been neglected by Apple for so long, is likely to be discontinued soon. It's a dead computer walking.

Think hard about paying top $$ for an orphan machine that's effectively 4 years old inside when you buy it new. It's probably not worth the asking price anymore. (Though if you can get a good refurb model with good specs it should be fine.)

So since you like the Mac, consider going with a MacBook or a MacBook Pro instead of the Air. These are the laptops Apple cares about now & refreshes/updates regularly. Also (and prob. more important!) they both have more oomph & capability than the Air, & are more suitable for heavy duty as your primary computer. There are probably good values to be had on refurb machines.

Alternatively, go for the iMac. Fantastic machines! If you can swing it, definitely the 27" is the way to go -- bigger display is ALWAYS better! Once I had 2 monitors for work, I couldn't understand how I ever managed to be productive on just one. An iMac gives you just the 1 screen, but it's big enough you can have a bunch of things open and not overlapping at once, which is nearly as good. And for occasional travel & coffee shop use, an iPad with a keyboard case. (There's an iOS version of Scrivener, though I'm not sure it's compatible with the new version of Scrivener for the Mac that changed the Scrivener file format.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Sue D. Nimh;10347113[I said:
Or[/I] should I just scrap the whole idea of a laptop altogether and just get another iMac since I'm mostly a home user? (My preference would be the 27" for my tired old eyes, costing $1,500 - $1,700, meaning I'd have to wait until the end of August to buy. A 21" would be $900 - $1,100, which I could get in 4-5 weeks.) If I buy an iMac, I can buy a laptop later when I actually need the portability.

Outside points of view would be nice. I'm too close to the situation to be fully objective/rational/logical!

I think this is your best option, frankly. Watch Apple's Refurb prices. Consider a reputable used Mac dealer like MacSales.com

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Scrivener does run on Linux, but I believe it's in a sort of unofficial capacity and supported by the Linux community on the Scrivener forum, and not the developers themselves yet. However, as that probably means users have to be tech savvy, it's probably not a decent fit for the OP.

Anyone interested can check out the Literature and Latte forum for more information.

Not really. It's an alpha version, and it requires a fair degree of Linux knowledge. It's not even as stable as the current Windows version.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm a Apple fan, I would strongly urge you to at least consider Windows.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Chiming in a bit late here, but if you're a long-time Mac user, you won't be happy with a Chromebook.

You could get a used MacBook Air in your budget; for what you're doing, an Air should be fine. I still have one that's 7 years old and runs High Sierra perfectly, although my son has commandeered it now.

Last edited: