Shifting from writing adult to YA fantasy

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Hi, all. I have a question for you. For my last two books, I found myself writing YA, much to my initial surprise. However, I like it a lot, and I suspect I will continue in this direction.

That said, I am aware that my knowledge of the best YA fantasy books is limited, because I have traditionally read adult. So what books would you say are absolutely essential for a YA fantasy writer to read? I am especially interested in books that have diverse characters, such as LGBT characters or those with disabilities or members of other under-represented groups. For instance, I read The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black just the other day and really enjoyed it.

Any other advice you have for a new YA author would be helpful, too!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great question to ask at your local library or book store. The Warriors books by Erin Hunter are very popular right now. The protagonists are cats, not humans. Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a ton of reading to do myself.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This is a great question to ask at your local library or book store. The Warriors books by Erin Hunter are very popular right now. The protagonists are cats, not humans. Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a ton of reading to do myself.

I think the Warriors series counts more as MG than YA, on the same reading level as the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, Tui Sutherland's Wings of Fire series, and such. (Not that all anthro books are MG. Redwall, while also featuring anthro animals, is a little thicker and sometimes gets shelved with "grown-up" SFF. Same with Richard Adams's Watership Down and Tad Williams's Tailchaser's Song. And Robert Repino's Mort(e) is definitely not for young kids...)

Asking at your library is definitely a great idea. You might also look at bestseller lists.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed some key differences (that I can't explain, but only call out as I spot) between YA and adult fantasy. I'm always clamoring for the good 'ol stuff, but have become better at judging YA fantasy on its own merit.

Here's a list:

Graceling by Kristen Cashore
Sabriel by Garth Nix (feels positively dated these days, but a favorite)
Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas
Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Young Elites by Marie Lu
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Tons more, but that's sorta the shape of what's popular these days.

EDIT- This list is so-so on diversity, but I can get back to you around lunchtime with some more targeted choices. Read Akata Witch!

Aaaand, I'm back :)

Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Mountain of Kept Memory by Rachel Neiumeier. I particularly enjoyed this one, but then it plays to my 'old-fashioned' tastes. Rachel's so cool!
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness. Very different type of fantasy, a weird book I am always pleased to see resonates with teens, and touches on some great issues.
Huntress by Malinda Lo
The Last Namsara by Kristen Cicarelli
Iron Cast by Destiny Soria. Jazz Age urban fantasy with an African-American protagonist.
Forest of 1000 Lanterns by Julie Dao.
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Silly fun.
Runebinder by Alex Kahler

And Maresi by Maria Turtschaninoff, which I've plugged on this site many times and will continue to do so until I am dead or banned.

Last edited:

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
I've just picked up Reign of the Fallen, which features two lesbian characters. I haven't started reading it yet though, but it is YA fantasy. An absolute must is the Shadowshaper series by Daniel Jose Older. Two books are out and I believe he's doing a third. Set in Brooklyn and the MC is Afro-Latina.

Additional diverse reads are:

The Bone Witch - Rin Chupeco
Promise of Shadows - Justina Ireland
Tankborn - Karen Sandler
Akata Witch - Nnedi Okorafor (Otherwise known as the Nigerian Harry Potter)

I haven't come across much recent LGBT fantasy besides the one mentioned above. Malindo Lo has done some excellent books (One title is Ash) with lesbian characters that are also YA fantasy. I hope this helps get you started!

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
This list is great! Thank you! And I've always loved Sabriel, too. Man, I read that book when it was brand new. I am getting old.

I've noticed some key differences (that I can't explain, but only call out as I spot) between YA and adult fantasy. I'm always clamoring for the good 'ol stuff, but have become better at judging YA fantasy on its own merit.

Here's a list:

Graceling by Kristen Cashore
Sabriel by Garth Nix (feels positively dated these days, but a favorite)
Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas
Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Young Elites by Marie Lu
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Tons more, but that's sorta the shape of what's popular these days.

EDIT- This list is so-so on diversity, but I can get back to you around lunchtime with some more targeted choices. Read Akata Witch!

Aaaand, I'm back :)

Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Mountain of Kept Memory by Rachel Neiumeier. I particularly enjoyed this one, but then it plays to my 'old-fashioned' tastes. Rachel's so cool!
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness. Very different type of fantasy, a weird book I am always pleased to see resonates with teens, and touches on some great issues.
Huntress by Malinda Lo
The Last Namsara by Kristen Cicarelli
Iron Cast by Destiny Soria. Jazz Age urban fantasy with an African-American protagonist.
Forest of 1000 Lanterns by Julie Dao.
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Silly fun.
Runebinder by Alex Kahler

And Maresi by Maria Turtschaninoff, which I've plugged on this site many times and will continue to do so until I am dead or banned.

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Thanks so much! This is a great starting point. These books sound right up my alley, and how could I resist a novel described as the Nigerian Harry Potter?

I've just picked up Reign of the Fallen, which features two lesbian characters. I haven't started reading it yet though, but it is YA fantasy. An absolute must is the Shadowshaper series by Daniel Jose Older. Two books are out and I believe he's doing a third. Set in Brooklyn and the MC is Afro-Latina.

Additional diverse reads are:

The Bone Witch - Rin Chupeco
Promise of Shadows - Justina Ireland
Tankborn - Karen Sandler
Akata Witch - Nnedi Okorafor (Otherwise known as the Nigerian Harry Potter)

I haven't come across much recent LGBT fantasy besides the one mentioned above. Malindo Lo has done some excellent books (One title is Ash) with lesbian characters that are also YA fantasy. I hope this helps get you started!

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Both of the YA fantasy novels I've written are based in imaginary worlds without technology. Magic exists but not traditional sword and sorcery style. I am really into writing diverse characters because I am bisexual and I never got to read those sorts of characters when I was growing up. The main characters in one of my books are a deaf black bisexual girl and her lesbian girlfriend. In the other, one of the main characters is of mixed race and asexual. The other is basically Asian, although Asia doesn't exist in that world. In my next novel I would like to have characters with mental health challenges, since that's a challenge I face myself. Does that help at all?

What kind of YA fantasy have you been writing, ssbittner? That'll help guide further recommendations.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yes, that helps. :) Another title (and series) you might look at is Lila Bowen's series beginning with Wake of Vultures--there are three books out with a fourth coming, I think. They kind of straddle the line between YA and adult fantasy but one of the major themes is the main character discovering her place in the world--including her gender identity. They're "weird West" fantasy so the tech level is mid-19th century.

I'll see what else comes to mind. Oh, and another vote for Carry On--it's wonderful fun.

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Thanks! I've added it to my list.

Yes, that helps. :) Another title (and series) you might look at is Lila Bowen's series beginning with Wake of Vultures--there are three books out with a fourth coming, I think. They kind of straddle the line between YA and adult fantasy but one of the major themes is the main character discovering her place in the world--including her gender identity. They're "weird West" fantasy so the tech level is mid-19th century.

I'll see what else comes to mind. Oh, and another vote for Carry On--it's wonderful fun.