The Problem in Gymnastics

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So this story has been mentioned in the #MeToo threads but I think it deserves its own thread because there are too many threads to the story that extend beyond what has been mentioned. Because the story is not limited to USA Gymnastics but also Canadian gymnastics as well. Perhaps our Australian and European friends can provide stories of what is going on in their respective countries. For those who want to read the story about what is happening in the United States, an ESPN article and a NYT article.

New York Times: The Price I Paid For Taking On Larry Nassar

ESPN: [Outside The Lines] Michigan State Secrets Extends Beyond Larry Nassar

What is less talked about is what is bussing around in Canadian gymnastics.

Washington Post: Canada's Director of Women's National Gymnastic Team Charged With 10 Sex Crimes (December 16, 2017)

CBC: Gymnastics Coach Michel Arsenault Under Investigation for Sexual Assaults

So no real insights on my part because I'm not associated with gymnastics but I am curious to hear from people who are involved.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is a really good question. I've never done gymnastics either.

One thought I had is that women gymnasts tend to be really young when they start training. Every all-around-champions in the Olympics in for world-class competition after 1972 has been in her teens. This might make them easier to victimize and cow? These girls have been training diligently under adult supervision for years and have been socialized since they were little to do what their coaches etc. tell them to do. They have to trust their coaches and doctors to be successful as gymnasts, and starting the sport so young may mean they have no perspective on what is and isn't normal in a relationship with an adult who isn't one's parent. At least not until the abuse becomes blatant.

It's a huge privilege to be able to compete at this level, and the window of opportunity is very short. These athletes probably don't want to jeopardize their chances by getting involved in a lengthy legal battle while they are training.

Also, there's the whole dynamic we've seen with lucrative sports programs with corruption, because women's gymnastics is a popular sport at the Olympics, and there seems to be quite a bit of money in it. So are we seeing the worse possible confluence between the abuses found sometimes in youth sports and the looking the other way and sweeping unacceptable behavior under the rug we often see with lucrative college or professional programs?

If a coach (or doctor, evidently) is working out well for a program, the powers that be may be reluctant to rock the boat.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I think with youth comes the problem of having not enough older athletes to act as advocates. Older athletes with the social clout and awareness to help the younger athletes out seems to be cut out. And as you point out, this seems to be a problem with judging, criteria set out by the gymnastics organisations, and so on which appear to devalue experience and desire flexibility and. . . perhaps nubility.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to say that I remember from high school girls on the gymnastics team rolling thier eyes about a skeevy coach. He would be 'gropey' when he was supposed to be, for example, guiding someone through a move. I say rolling thier eyes, because it was half complaint/voicing frustation about the unpleasant situation and partly an 'if you don't laugh you'll cry' kind of thing. There was a sense back then that this is a situation that you are just stuck with. & maybe some fear of 'ratting him out' to the other adults.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do we actually need little girls and boys to be doing gymnastics? (would be my question).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not downplaying the reach of this in gymnastics, or the abuse of the women and girls that's happened at anyone's hands, or the volume of Nasser's victim pool, but this is not unique to gymnastics as a sport, nor are some of the contributing factors Roxx mentions unique to gymnastics. This has also been a recognized issue in elite US swimming.

Graham James abused elite hockey playing boys over decades, and there are certainly stories about similar abuses by others.

There's abuse in the world of ballet, figure skating, etc. Where it can happen, it will.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm glad you moved this, Xelebes. Even though the judge mentioned the #MeToo movement, this is way bigger. This is Penn St/Jerry Sandusky, Catholic Priest-level stuff.

Gymnasts used to be a little older than they are now. Olga Korbut was 18 when she won gold, and I remember being shocked by Nadia Comaneci being only 15. I don't think the US allowed such young women at the time. Gymnastics and women's ice skating have aged down, and organized up. So these...girls, really...live away from home for the purposes of winning an Olympic medal (and the $$$ that comes with it, which, let's face it, isn't the *gymnast's* goal but her parents/handlers) at a very young age. I remember it being a condemnation that the USSR "plucked promising kids from their homes to be Olympians, housed institutionally." Propaganda on our end, no doubt, but it was propaganda eschewing the exploitation. And yet now, here we are.

These girls are such easy prey. They're young, they are truly, athletically, special, and they're in a sport where injuries are both rife, and can end your dream in one torn ligament. Doctors are saviors.

I find the whole system horrifying, just as I did when my kids got into the soccer system. I was cajoled by coaches to put my kids in a $2500/yr (base) program when they were 11, with the implied incentive of a college scholarship. My kids were NOT special, and only a tiny number of universities offer full soccer scholarships. For the fees I'd have paid, I could have paid college tuition myself. All so "coaches" and "trainers" can profit. The number of gymnasts that go through the mill generates millions of dollars, and while, yes, lots of kids enjoy the sport, it's often a hunting ground for "talent." These systems are too often set up for the benefit of the adults running them. To profit, exploit, wallow in reflected glory, and yes, to sexually predate on the youngsters. /rant (sorry)

What was going on at MSU is MUCH wider than the gymnastics scandal, BTW. The stuff coming out now about the football program, and all the other athletes from all the other sports that were funneled to Nassar, should really end that school's athletic program altogether. And any other school operating in a similar unethical pattern, too.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
corn, those abuses happened and they did take too long to be reported. The reason why gymnastics was singled out is because the issue apparently goes higher than in other sports. When you have multiple abusers, some of them being in the top dog positions of the sport. That is a bit different. Also, there are other issues which I probably should have included in the OP including the training with injuries problem and other abusive coaching and training behaviours that is prevalent in gymnastics. It is not solely about what is happening to the artists sexually. This has long been identified as an ongoing problem for more than three decades and that these large sex abuse scandals that are unfolding not only in the United States but also in Canada show how the sport has become more of an exploitative freakshow than it is a show of athletic force.

Of late there has been a push to make strength a more weighted criterion for judging the sport. I don't know if that is enough.

Edit: As for the MSU athletic department and the NCAA, that deserves a different thread.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
These girls have been training diligently under adult supervision for years and have been socialized since they were little to do what their coaches etc. tell them to do. They have to trust their coaches and doctors to be successful as gymnasts, and starting the sport so young may mean they have no perspective on what is and isn't normal in a relationship with an adult who isn't one's parent. At least not until the abuse becomes blatant.

Check out Joan Ryan's Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, which is about what gymnasts and figure skaters go through as part of their training and competition. Apparently one coach routinely heaped verbal abuse on gymnasts if they gained any weight (especially when they went through puberty), calling them fat cows and pregnant goats. The coach had such a good reputation for producing champions that the girls and their parents endured it.

So yeah, I'm not surprised that sexual abuse occurs. Some of these girls live away from home, and some even live with their coaches. They're young and malleable, they're focused on achieving a difficult goal (maybe because their parents have mortgaged the house in the hopes of producing an Olympian), they're in competition with each other. It's not exactly conducive to speaking up against powerful adults, especially if there's no indication you'll be believed and supported.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gymnastics aside, which have been exploiting young girls for decades, imo, youth sports are over the top these days. Little boys playing football given what we know about traumatic brain injury? And even “gentler” sports like soccer and softball can injure growing bodies when kids are training like adult athletes. Sports are great, but it seems they’ve ceased to be regarded as hobbies and social endeavors, but as incredibly serious and demanding occupations, both in terms of time and money, even for kids who are unlikely to ever be “elite” in their sports.

It does set up a situation where abuse, both mental and physical, is very easy.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do we actually need little girls and boys to be doing gymnastics? (would be my question).

That could be asked of any sport, musical instrument, etc. and the answer is yes, if the child wants to and enjoys it. There is nothing wrong with athletics for fun or serious competition. The issue is protecting the children from predators.

I know that in gymnastics when the gymnast reaches a certain level if they want to move up and compete nationally etc, they move to training centers, where the top coaches are, usually away from their parents. Nassar groomed the girls to be abused. He said it was part of their medical treatment.

One good thing, the entire US Gymnastic Board has been ordered to resign.

Link

A huge problem is how sports are viewed not only in the US but all over the world. Athletes and coaches are adored to the point of demigod status. When kids come forward with accusations they are verbal ripped apart, as in the Sandusky and Nassar cases. Add to that the money made by colleges, universities, athletic organizations and the sad truth is, the kids are viewed as expendable commodities. For way too many in all aspects of sports, as long as the money rolls in, who cares if a some kids are hurt, the bottom line profit margin is all that matters.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That could be asked of any sport, musical instrument, etc. .
No, I don't think I'd agree with that. The elite sort of gymnastics discussed in the articles is predicated on keeping a human body from growing and maturing normally: there's nothing about music that insists on that, that I can think of. It's more like ballet, perhaps - except that ballet usually doesn't require quite so much success at such a very young age, and has less of a competitive element to it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think I'd agree with that. The elite sort of gymnastics discussed in the articles is predicated on keeping a human body from growing and maturing normally: there's nothing about music that insists on that, that I can think of. It's more like ballet, perhaps - except that ballet usually doesn't require quite so much success at such a very young age, and has less of a competitive element to it.

It does not have less of a competitive element, heh. It generally does require the 'success' -- if you don't have the feet, if you're not in a good school, you're generally not going anyplace. There are Copeland-like exceptions, which people talk about endlessly because they're exceptions, same as there are NHL stars who grew up playing street hockey in midtown Manhattan, but in a general sense, you don't start either of those things by kindergarten, often with good teachers, you're pretty sunk.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I don't think there is anything special about gymnastics, per se, that germinates this predatory behavior. All that is required, it seems, is an environment where young people are subject to the direction of adults (usually male) in circumstances lacking proper supervision. Think of the recent scandals involving pedophile priests in the Roman Catholic church, or the scandal that ultimately snared the illustrious Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints. In summary, all that is required is a predator and prey.

caw

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything special about gymnastics, per se, that germinates this predatory behavior. All that is required, it seems, is an environment where young people are subject to the direction of adults (usually male) in circumstances lacking proper supervision. Think of the recent scandals involving pedophile priests in the Roman Catholic church, or the scandal that ultimately snared the illustrious Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints. In summary, all that is required is a predator and prey.

caw

Yes, of course. I'm just always disturbed by the fact that gymnastics requires small bodies to stay small and yet perform extreme feats of strength in competition with other small bodies. It seems different to me than even ballet, which is not just about points and win/lose, but is also about expression and art, not just strength and control - even though, as Cornflake said, like anything else reaching the elite will require a degree of competition. I think it's important to be aware that sexual abuse thrives where physical abuse is normalised - and it's certainly being normalised when very little kids are taught to ignore their own safety signals in deference to a highly goal-oriented adult.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, of course. I'm just always disturbed by the fact that gymnastics requires small bodies to stay small and yet perform extreme feats of strength in competition with other small bodies. It seems different to me than even ballet, which is not just about points and win/lose, but is also about expression and art, not just strength and control - even though, as Cornflake said, like anything else reaching the elite will require a degree of competition. I think it's important to be aware that sexual abuse thrives where physical abuse is normalised - and it's certainly being normalised when very little kids are taught to ignore their own safety signals in deference to a highly goal-oriented adult.

Top level competitive women's gymnastics wasn't always the tiny, pixie sport. It gravitated that way after Nadia Comaneci in Montreal. To that point, most top level female gymnasts were in their late teens to early twenties. Nadia was fourteen. It was then advertisers had the "A-Ha" moment of cute little pixies endorsing their products. Gymnastic Federations also saw the potential payday of huge endorsements and sponsors.

Once sports get to the top tier levels it's all about the money

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Top level competitive women's gymnastics wasn't always the tiny, pixie sport. It gravitated that way after Nadia Comaneci in Montreal. To that point, most top level female gymnasts were in their late teens to early twenties. Nadia was fourteen. It was then advertisers had the "A-Ha" moment of cute little pixies endorsing their products. Gymnastic Federations also saw the potential payday of huge endorsements and sponsors.

Yes, exactly. I remember when it changed - which is really what my comment was aimed at - clumsily. ;)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

This is very true. The data on the "all around" Olympic champions in women's gymnastics shows a sharp break in 1976, with Nadia's (who was 14). Before that, they were much older. In 1952, the women's all-around champion was even 30! Nadia definitely changed the sport and what the judges were looking for in a performance from women. Men's gymnastics, however, continues to be more strength based, as the guys are still in their twenties.
Men and women gymnasts don't perform the same routines either. Women compete on four apparatuses, while men compete on six, and even the floor exercises and vault, which are common to both, are done very differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_all-around_champions_by_age

As an aside, women competing in the same sport as men, but in fewer events or within different parameters, is pretty common in the Olympics. For instance, in shooting (a sport where men and women could ostensibly compete directly against one another, and actually do in some venues outside the Olympics), the genders are still separated and men also get to compete in more events.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note, I consider a healthy range for sports to be turning up championships to be somewhere at full mental maturity (age 25). And kudos to Roxx for that chart:

Female gymnasts prior to 1976: 24.5 years of age
Female gymnasts 1976 and after: 17.4 years of age

Male gymnasts: 25.7 years of age

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here are some interesting data about the ages of competitors in other sports, such as swimming. Overall, among all Olympic sports, there was a downward trend in the 70s and early 80s (average age around 22 across all sports), but the overall age of Olympians has climbed since then (to around 25 in 2012, the last year shown in this article). Of course, it varies greatly by sport. Some marathoners have been in their 40s. Equestrians (the human members of their team--the horses aren't colts and fillies either, some even being well into their teens) average in their 30s. With some sports, a top athlete may participate in multiple Olympic games, starting very young and going until they are in their thirties.

https://www.si.com/edge/2016/08/11/rio-2016-olympics-age-young-old-athletes.

Women's gymnastics is an outlier, but there are teenaged participants in other sports.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a big part of the problem is nobody listened to them when they did complain.

Now with social media and massive support things are finally changing.....and it's about time.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a bit of a separate note, I'm disgusted health care workers failed these Michigan girls. We need to do more when educating nurses and medical assistants to report doctors who don't require a chaperone when examining or treating vulnerable patients.

It's part of the nursing curriculum that one learns to report suspected child or elderly abuse. The licensing board encourages us to report impaired doctors and nurses.

It's time to include in basic nursing education reporting potential or suspicious sexual abuse and/or inappropriate care such as not adhering to the standard that physicians don't examine certain patients alone.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a bit of a separate note, I'm disgusted health care workers failed these Michigan girls. We need to do more when educating nurses and medical assistants to report doctors who don't require a chaperone when examining or treating vulnerable patients.

It's part of the nursing curriculum that one learns to report suspected child or elderly abuse. The licensing board encourages us to report impaired doctors and nurses.

It's time to include in basic nursing education reporting potential or suspicious sexual abuse and/or inappropriate care such as not adhering to the standard that physicians don't examine certain patients alone.

I was thinking that very thing. Most doctors have an assistant or a nurse in the room when doing internal exams, especially on young girls. The first time I encountered that was when I was 19 and had a man doctor do a pap...he brought in a nurse with him which I was surprised by at first since I'd never had a doctor before him bring in somebody but I was thankful she was there and it made me feel at ease...not that I didn't trust the doctor, I did but it made a difference having her there.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I don't know about Michigan, but in CA, medical professionals, educators and others are mandated reporters. That means that if there is evidence that would suggest to a reasonably observant and informed person that a minor is being abused, and they fail to report it, then they have some liability.

And even when a victim isn't a minor, if someone you work with is abusing someone, and the victim reports the abuse to you, it's just wrong, morally and (I imagine) legally not to follow through. I don't get how these "investigations" kept exonerating this monster.

I'm disgusted that the complicity and lack of concern appears to have gone all the way up to the top at the university too.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about Michigan, but in CA, medical professionals, educators and others are mandated reporters. That means that if there is evidence that would suggest to a reasonably observant and informed person that a minor is being abused, and they fail to report it, then they have some liability.

And even when a victim isn't a minor, if someone you work with is abusing someone, and the victim reports the abuse to you, it's just wrong, morally and (I imagine) legally not to follow through. I don't get how these "investigations" kept exonerating this monster.

I'm disgusted that the complicity and lack of concern appears to have gone all the way up to the top at the university too.

I'm pretty sure we are all mandated to report; if there is a state that doesn't have such a regulation, I'd be surprised.

But I can't recall any formal education to look for and report sexual abuse. I would know to do it, but I have decades of experience. I'd like to see reporting potential sexual abuse by the professional added formally to standard curriculums.

Sure, if one saw it, hopefully one would report it. But I had formal education in how to recognize child abuse, for example. How is it medical assistants working with this man didn't know he should not be alone with these girls? I'm appalled but not surprised that this wasn't common sense. If it was added to formal education, it could make a difference.

Last edited: