Jack White bans phones at gigs for “100% human experience”

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The former White Stripes frontman releases new album ‘Boarding House Reach’ in March and recently announced his first UK shows in four years.

White embarks on a tour of the US from April, with a statement announcing that shows would be “phone-free”, confirming: “No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed”.
“We think you’ll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON,” the statement adds.
“Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse.”

http://www.nme.com/news/music/jack-white-bans-phones-gigs-2227093

I thought I would post something about this, because people are talking about it. Some people are losing their minds over this. Personally, I can't wait. I would love it if more artists did this. I don't even like having a cell phone, and I hate it when people are holding out their phones and trying to record a show they should be watching. That is why I go to concerts, to experience live music. But some people are flipping out.

I'm interested in hearing what you all think.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, he is! He's older than me!

My parents have had smart phones for a long time, though. I just got one a few weeks ago because a friend forced my hand. I still hate it.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I adore it. Trying to enjoy a performance through a sea of glowing phones is distracting, to say the least. And the people holding up IPads? That's just crazy rude.

The comedian Dave Chapelle has a similar phone-in-the-pouch policy for his performances. It's an easy solution to make the show more enjoyable for everyone.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
If I ruled the world... Cellular devices would only allow access to libraries of ebooks!

Don't get me wrong they're great for emergencies, but a concert shouldn't turn into an emergency situation.

People are flipping out because they don't want to be separated from their addiction for even the span of a couple of hours during the concert. It's a horrible sign of what we've become as a society where we throw tantrums whenever we don't get to have our toys.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, by providing these pouches, even if only for the duration of the show, he's obviously willing to put some money and effort into this.
Besides, it's nice that he's framing this as 'so that you can enjoy the experience more fully' rather than 'I'm sick and tired of my shows appearing as snippets on You-Tube or blogs before I'm actually finished the performance!'.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of a locked pouch I can have on my person and can unlock in the lobby if I need it.

I love my smartphone. Can't imagine life without it (though I forget to turn it on when I am home sometimes). Helped save my sanity and keep my life on track when I was in the hospital for just under a harrowing month (part of which I was unable to speak without wheezing violently). I could text friends, reschedule appointments online, do dozens of things I would not have been able to do. But I see friends who are at a concert posting photos, videos, and updates the entire time...fine for them, but I think I would be pulled out of the experience of the concert.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I remember gigs before phones when you just listened to the band and enjoyed the spectacle. I'm old.

nicolane

Adorably Unhinged
Registered
Reaction score
I have brittle asthma - this means that an attack can come on suddenly with no warning and leave me needing an ambulance instantly - having a mobile phone allows me the freedom to go out on my own - all I do I click my phone power button five times quickly and an emergency call is made, which transmits my location to the emergency operator and my wheezing into the microphone alerts them to the asthma. Not having a working phone could threaten my life.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jack White is on point. If you want to listen to the music, put your damn phone away. Nobody cares about your stupid selfies while the band is banging away onstage.

A tale of two concerts: My brother and I traveled to Dayton to see Living Colour. Good show, shitty sound system, lively crowd. At least it was for those who were there to be blown away by what Vernon, Corey, Will and Doug were pumping out. The rest of the crowd had their phones out and lit up. Some even were shining their flashlights at the band. Seriously uncool. Remember when it was cigarette lighters?

Weeks later, my wife and I are in NYC at the Rose Theater digging on Brazilian jazz pianist/vocalist Eliane Elias. A full house, great sound, hellacious concert and NO CELL PHONES. Not because it was announced to please turn off your phones, but because everyone knew better than to distract and detract from the music. Maybe because jazz attracts an older audience and one whose phones are not grafted to their hips?

If you can't put your phone away for an hour or so, watch out. You might be addicted to the damn thing. Shut it off and dance. :snoopy:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of a locked pouch I can have on my person and can unlock in the lobby if I need it.

I do, too. The most common complaint about it seems to be that people need to have their cell phone available if the sitter calls. These shows are general admission, and "I shouldn't have to lose my spot." Uh, yeah, you should. If it's real emergency with you kid, you're losing your spot.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder, if this technology becomes more widespread, we'll see the return of beepers (maybe that vibrate only) so you can get your alert, go out into the lobby, unlock your phone, and call home. For those who have medical conditions, I think there might be products that can call 911 with a button press, but I am not sure. I saw this and got a few other hits, but I didn't do any hardcore research.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I'm old enough to remember when people used to hold lighters up in concerts. Phone lights always just seemed like the new version of that to me. I don't care if people have their phones out. Taking pictures or video of events or activities reduces your in-the-moment enjoyment. So if people get wrapped up in that, it's their loss.

I have brittle asthma - this means that an attack can come on suddenly with no warning and leave me needing an ambulance instantly - having a mobile phone allows me the freedom to go out on my own - all I do I click my phone power button five times quickly and an emergency call is made, which transmits my location to the emergency operator and my wheezing into the microphone alerts them to the asthma. Not having a working phone could threaten my life.

This was my first thought—some people truly depend on their phones for good reason. No one seems to want to address the point, though.

I also thought about the attack at the Ariana Grande concert. Having phones actually locked up could have caused even more chaos in the aftermath of that.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
On-stage performance gigs commonly ban phones, along with recording devices and photography. What's the big deal about Jack White doing similarly?
Nothing more than what others do. Using Yondr pouches has nothing to do with 'enjoying the show' as the PR clip stated; White's production uses them a Copyright protection scheme. See:

Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show.

There exists technologies today such as AeroMobile ( link ) that intercepts cellphone transmissions and re-routes them through other means - such as satellite links on an airliner. It would be easy to install that piece of equipment in the venue and only let 9-1-1 calls go through.

-cb

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Nothing more than what others do. Using Yondr pouches has nothing to do with 'enjoying the show' as the PR clip stated; White's production uses them a Copyright protection scheme. See:

There exists technologies today such as AeroMobile ( link ) that intercepts cellphone transmissions and re-routes them through other means - such as satellite links on an airliner. It would be easy to install that piece of equipment in the venue and only let 9-1-1 calls go through.

Why should they do that?

He probably doesn't want people filming his show, either, like pretty much no musicians want. So what?

I think its a bit much to assume it has "nothing to do with enjoying the show" because of the method.

When I'm at a concert, other people's cell phones do impede my enjoyment of the show. The hold them up above their heads, and they block my view. People are filming, despite the fact that the sound quality is awful, and it will look like shit. They just want to brag on social media that they were there.

I like that they're being locked up. It will feel more like it used to be at concerts when we didn't have them.

I was the last person I knew who got a cell phone, the last person to enable text, and the last person who got a smart phone, and I STILL refuse to use facetime. When you don't keep up with that kind of technology, everyone else expects you to accommodate them, and be like them, because they have it. Because "that's the world we live in now." I got a smart phone, not because I wanted one, but because my friends told me it would make life easier for THEM. Jack White does not have a cell phone. He's only asking that for a few hours, you live in HIS world.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I think its a bit much to assume it has "nothing to do with enjoying the show" because of the method.
I would understand the request if White played an acoustic guitar solo on a stool in quiet venues, like Eric Clapton did at one time with 'Unplugged'. What I'm seeing from his US tour list are 10K - 50K venues and his live performances on YouTube all depict big rock shows, all hands up, loud noise, sardine crowd clustering, cheering and shouting, (floating weed smell? you tell me), etc. I don't see any evidence this is going to change in the coming year, so I'm not convinced cellphones are going to be a major nuisance.

-cb

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
This was my first thought—some people truly depend on their phones for good reason. No one seems to want to address the point, though.
In the post above yours, I did address it, albeit briefly. I started looking at products that could replace the cell phone in situations like these. Linked to one. Again, I just dipped in briefly, but I did post about the thing you said no one addressed.

I have sympathy in this situation for people who need the ability to summon medical help immediately. I was one of them until I became DNR (and I love that, while I carry physical forms of my DNR forms in my wallet, walker, bag, sometimes pocket, I also have them and other medical info digitally on my phone) so I understand. But if I were still not DNR and wanted to be where phones where not allowed, I'd at least investigate options like the one I posted and others. I might even contact the venue and ask if a phone or emergency device that is more like a pager would be allowed.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I would understand the request if White played an acoustic guitar solo on a stool in quiet venues, like Eric Clapton did at one time with 'Unplugged'. What I'm seeing from his US tour list are 10K - 50K venues and his live performances on YouTube all depict big rock shows, all hands up, loud noise, sardine crowd clustering, cheering and shouting, (floating weed smell? you tell me), etc. I don't see any evidence this is going to change in the coming year, so I'm not convinced cellphones are going to be a major nuisance.

I don't know what to tell you. They are. To other audience members, and to HIM. I have seen him before with two different bands. He does not work with a setlist. He pays attention to the crowd and responds. Seeing The White Stripes was a very unique experience, completely spontaneous, and I later learned that this was why. But back then, not everyone had cell phones, and it wasn't something everyone did. These days, they do, and he doesn't like it when people are focused on their phones instead of connecting with the rest of the crowd and with him. In the past, he has asked people to please not use them during his show, but many, many people still did.

It also isn't just about what is an is not a "nuisance." It's just how Jack wants people to experience his show. Live and in person, and not plugged into their device.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
In the post above yours, I did address it, albeit briefly. I started looking at products that could replace the cell phone in situations like these. Linked to one. Again, I just dipped in briefly, but I did post about the thing you said no one addressed.

I have sympathy in this situation for people who need the ability to summon medical help immediately. I was one of them until I became DNR (and I love that, while I carry physical forms of my DNR forms in my wallet, walker, bag, sometimes pocket, I also have them and other medical info digitally on my phone) so I understand. But if I were still not DNR and wanted to be where phones where not allowed, I'd at least investigate options like the one I posted and others. I might even contact the venue and ask if a phone or emergency device that is more like a pager would be allowed.

Could people who need their cell phones for emergencies just hang toward the back? The only way I think it would be that difficult to get to the lobby is if you were up in the front.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I like it! I feel sorry for people who are at a one-time event, like the Olympics opening ceremonies, and record the experience on their cell phones and only watch their phones. What a great loss to them to purposefully ignore the sights, sounds, and feelings that active participation can bring.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Could people who need their cell phones for emergencies just hang toward the back? The only way I think it would be that difficult to get to the lobby is if you were up in the front.
That's probably what I would do (or, if even that were too dangerous; if I really had to have something on me because I couldn't lose the seconds or minutes it took to get to the lobby and unlock the pouch, I'd look into an emergency device). When I used to go to the ballet, I had to choose between having good seats, but having my walker brought to a different part of the theater or sitting in an area in which I could keep my walker, but not see as well. I started out doing one the former and when I came to rely on the walker more, chose the latter. I needed the security of knowing if a fire broke out or a bomb went off, I would have some degree of mobility. I know it's not the same as having a life-threatening condition that could require immediate summoning of medical care, but in an emergency, like a fire, I would be limited in my ability to get out of the theater, so I had to choose.

For those concerned about medical needs, would a device that doesn't have video recording or texting, but allowed you to call 911 with a button push, help?